Sign in to follow this  
Lord Horn

Anyone agree?

I was bought up in an era when it would have been unthinkable for City not to kick towards the Barclay in the second half (given the choice).  Do you think we can persuade our new Messiah ''The Lord Lambert'' to return to these traditional values? Or, do you not give a toss?

Eversince i was young, ive always been used to kicking towards the N+P in the second half...

Well whenever we won the toss.

[quote user="Lord Horn"]I was bought up in an era when it would have been unthinkable for City not to kick towards the Barclay in the second half (given the choice).  Do you think we can persuade our new Messiah ''The Lord Lambert'' to return to these traditional values? Or, do you not give a toss?[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more. But then again I''d like to hear On the ball City sung properly, so just put me down as a reactionary old fart!

[quote user="Brendan"]Well whenever we won the toss.[/quote]

Is that the same as giving a toss - don''t answer that!  Anyway, Brendan, what would you prefer - do you think it aids the players kicking towards their noisiest fans in the 2nd half?

I''ve been saying the same thing for ages. I just can''t understand why we don''t do it. Perhaps we just lose the toss every week. There used to be some one on here called "Attack the Barclay 2nd half FFS" didn''t there?

Maybe we should email Mcnally and apprise him of the tradition - can he be emailed like Doomcaster or do we have to go through a security screen [:)]

[quote user="The Duke"]for once Lord you''ve got the bull by the Horns! I couldn''t agree more![/quote]

Thank you my regal friend....after all I wouldn''t want to ''duke'' my responsibilities....I''ll get me coat!

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Apparently the reason for attacking the river end is a slope[/quote]

Really, I''ve never noticed that, although I suppose there should be a slope (however marginal) towards the river.

I remember us putting four past Blackpool in the 71/72 champions season playing towards the Barclay in the first half. i think it matters little.If it helps us then I would rather be defending a lead than chasing one.As to On the Ball I agree whole heartedly with the above.In the 70/80''s it might have been heard once or twice in the game, sung as well, not mechanically chanted like some cheap over wound cuckoo clockFor those who have heard the song ringing round the whole ground you''ll know what I mean

[quote user="Lord Horn"]I was bought up in an era when it would have been unthinkable for City not to kick towards the Barclay in the second half (given the choice).  Do you think we can persuade our new Messiah ''The Lord Lambert'' to return to these traditional values? Or, do you not give a toss?[/quote]Not at all sure this is entirely right. My memory is that we have always tended to choose to kick towards the River End in the second half. If you look, for example, at photographs of the opening goal in the 3-0 1959 FA Cup win over Man Utd, that was scored (in the first half) at the Barclay End.In our first game in the old First Division we scored (Bone) at the Barclay End in the first half - and conceded there (Royle) in the second. And so on.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Lord Horn"]I was bought up in an era when it would have been unthinkable for City not to kick towards the Barclay in the second half (given the choice).  Do you think we can persuade our new Messiah ''The Lord Lambert'' to return to these traditional values? Or, do you not give a toss?[/quote]

Not at all sure this is entirely right. My memory is that we have always tended to choose to kick towards the River End in the second half. If you look, for example, at photographs of the opening goal in the 3-0 1959 FA Cup win over Man Utd, that was scored (in the first half) at the Barclay End.

In our first game in the old First Division we scored (Bone) at the Barclay End in the first half - and conceded there (Royle) in the second. And so on.
[/quote]Yes but...........

Who won the toss in those games PC? [:^)]

Of course it''s not simply our decision - depends on who wins the toss. How often do you see teams swap ends ?It will also depend on how the sun is. It can be a bit tricky playing into a westerly setting sun once autumn kicks in.Many factors, so I don''t think it''s as basic as just  '' we''''ll always kick towards the Barclay or the River End first ''

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Lord Horn"]I was bought up in an era when it would have been unthinkable for City not to kick towards the Barclay in the second half (given the choice).  Do you think we can persuade our new Messiah ''The Lord Lambert'' to return to these traditional values? Or, do you not give a toss?[/quote]Not at all sure this is entirely right. My memory is that we have always tended to choose to kick towards the River End in the second half. If you look, for example, at photographs of the opening goal in the 3-0 1959 FA Cup win over Man Utd, that was scored (in the first half) at the Barclay End.In our first game in the old First Division we scored (Bone) at the Barclay End in the first half - and conceded there (Royle) in the second. And so on.[/quote]Yes but...........

Who won the toss in those games PC? [:^)]

[/quote]Lappin, using my famous private sources I can exclusively reveal...that I don''t have a clue. But throughout my watching time, which goes back more decades than I care to remember, we have always tended to kick towards the River End in the second half. And that must, on some law of averages or other, be because we have wanted to. Quite possibly because of this (slight) slope that other posters have mentioned.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Lord Horn"]I was bought up in an era when it would have been unthinkable for City not to kick towards the Barclay in the second half (given the choice).  Do you think we can persuade our new Messiah ''The Lord Lambert'' to return to these traditional values? Or, do you not give a toss?[/quote]

Not at all sure this is entirely right. My memory is that we have always tended to choose to kick towards the River End in the second half. If you look, for example, at photographs of the opening goal in the 3-0 1959 FA Cup win over Man Utd, that was scored (in the first half) at the Barclay End.

In our first game in the old First Division we scored (Bone) at the Barclay End in the first half - and conceded there (Royle) in the second. And so on.
[/quote]

Strangely though, in most of the other games during that Cup run we kicked towards the Barclay in the second half. Cardiff, Spurs replay, Sheff Utd replay and even the second round replay against Swindon. I''ve been trying to rmrmber the first round against Ilford and I think that must have been the other way because I have a string recollection of Matt Crowe scoring a first half penalty in front of me and I always used to stand behind the Barclay goal.

Kicking towards the River End second half has become established practice for many years now which suits me because I now sit at that end.I don''t know if anyone has done a survey but I always got worried when we lost the toss and kicked the other way as it often resulted in a home defeat. It would be interesting to know if anyone has statistics on this.

[quote user="Lord Horn"]I was bought up in an era when it would have been unthinkable for City not to kick towards the Barclay in the second half (given the choice).  Do you think we can persuade our new Messiah ''The Lord Lambert'' to return to these traditional values? Or, do you not give a toss?[/quote]

I remember those day, it would be nice to see them kicking towards the Barclay 2nd half.

I think McNally would have spent the money on the security review more appropraitely to investigate this issue. Surely there can be some conclusion drawn from the a review of the number of games won when we had won the toss and kicked towards the Barclay End in the second half. A captain deserves nothing less to aide his decision making.

[quote user="ricardo"]

Strangely though, in most of the other games during that Cup run we kicked towards the Barclay in the second half. Cardiff, Spurs replay, Sheff Utd replay and even the second round replay against Swindon. I''ve been trying to rmrmber the first round against Ilford and I think that must have been the other way because I have a string recollection of Matt Crowe scoring a first half penalty in front of me and I always used to stand behind the Barclay goal.

[/quote]Ricardo, at our age memory plays tricks! According to Canary Citizens, in that Ilford game we were  1-0 down at half-time. And the three second-half goals were from Brennan (2) and Hill, with Crowe missing a penalty at 2-1! Of course, that doesn''t answer the question about which end we were attacking when, but the same publication has a photo of Ilford''s first-half goal, and that looks like it''s at what was your Barclay end. If so then were were attacking that end in the second half.

I''ve often wondered how they decide who calls heads or tails - is it the home captain, is there some kind of protocol ...

........... or do they toss a coin to see who calls

The slight slope was supposedly amended when we were in the Prem, along with the holes put into the ground for the press pits..

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

Ricardo, at our age memory plays tricks! According to Canary Citizens, in that Ilford game we were  1-0 down at half-time. And the three second-half goals were from Brennan (2) and Hill, with Crowe missing a penalty at 2-1!

Of course, that doesn''t answer the question about which end we were attacking when, but the same publication has a photo of Ilford''s first-half goal, and that looks like it''s at what was your Barclay end. If so then were were attacking that end in the second half.
[/quote]

Yes thats right mate, deffo at the Barclay end. You are also right about the pen. It has just come back to me that their keeper got injured saving Matt Crowes pen. He did what all good keepers do in getting his body behind the ball. Unfortunately it was the lower regions that the ball hit and Matt Crowe could certainly hammer a dead ball.

The memory certainly plays tricks after 50 years but when you mentioned the scorers it helped to clear the mists of time.

[quote user="Lord Horn"]I was bought up in an era when it would have been unthinkable for City not to kick towards the Barclay in the second half (given the choice).  Do you think we can persuade our new Messiah ''The Lord Lambert'' to return to these traditional values? Or, do you not give a toss?[/quote]Whilst I have no memory of that being the case I totally agree that it should be so

Lord Horn, i would rather kick towards Barclay in 1st half,thats just cause where i sit nearer N+P. Dont know if it really hinder''s the teams peformance or not, but thats a good point, it probably would help them a bit if they did kick towards the barclay 2nd half. Not sure.

My memory is not what it was and you guys have got me thinking. I remember so many big second half goals at both ends. But probably the two most famous second half headers leave it undecided. Bruces header in the semi against scum was the Barclay end. Stringers header to beat Palace and keep us in the top flight in 1973 was the River end.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

My memory is not what it was and you guys have got me thinking. I remember so many big second half goals at both ends. But probably the two most famous second half headers leave it undecided. Bruces header in the semi against scum was the Barclay end. Stringers header to beat Palace and keep us in the top flight in 1973 was the River end.

[/quote]

Also Nigel, I remember both Rosario and Fashanu won goal of the season with goals at the Barclay End.

Rosario''s was in the first half and Fashanu''s in the second so that doesn''t really tell us anything profound either does it?