Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

Walsall game is going to be a test.

Tomorow we face a struggling Walsall side on the back of an easy win against Wycombe (5-2) and a comfortable win agaisnt Hartlepool (2-0).  So lots of people are now saying this is going to be another easy, comfortable win, including myself.  Although I have said and think we will win comfortably I do have my doubts. 

So far this season I don''t think we have come up agaisnt the proper hoofball League''s 1 and 2 are famous for, but I think we will tomorow.  This is where the first test comes, our defence is going to be new to this hoofball, and I don''t mean they don''t know how to defend it I mean that Nelson and Askou is a new partnership and so far in their two games together they havn''t faced this sort of hoofball, so they will need to be more awake than normal tomorow to deal with it.

Another reason why it will be a test is because our team is growing with confidence so you don''t want them to get complacent.  This is Lambert''s test to get them motivated and to get them ready.  It is one he is capable of doing, but we will see, is it still the ''honeymoon'' period?

Also we will face a lot of teams like this, this season and lot''s of teams this standard.  So if we are saying this is an easy win we are pretty much saying that 75% of games this season are going to be easy wins.  There not going to be.

I think in the end we will win tomorow, and do it pretty comfortably, but it is still a tough game.  Walsall have been near the bottom of the league in the last couple of seasons, so they will give 100% and they will fight and if we are complacent they could beat us.  So if we think we can go up through the automatics or play offs we have to win these games by a fair few goals and let''s hope we do that, but just remember they want to win too.

OTBC

[quote user="Boyo"]

Tomorow we face a struggling Walsall side on the back of an easy win against Wycombe (5-2) and a comfortable win agaisnt Hartlepool (2-0).  So lots of people are now saying this is going to be another easy, comfortable win, including myself.  Although I have said and think we will win comfortably I do have my doubts. 

So far this season I don''t think we have come up agaisnt the proper hoofball League''s 1 and 2 are famous for, but I think we will tomorow.  This is where the first test comes, our defence is going to be new to this hoofball, and I don''t mean they don''t know how to defend it I mean that Nelson and Askou is a new partnership and so far in their two games together they havn''t faced this sort of hoofball, so they will need to be more awake than normal tomorow to deal with it.

Another reason why it will be a test is because our team is growing with confidence so you don''t want them to get complacent.  This is Lambert''s test to get them motivated and to get them ready.  It is one he is capable of doing, but we will see, is it still the ''honeymoon'' period?

Also we will face a lot of teams like this, this season and lot''s of teams this standard.  So if we are saying this is an easy win we are pretty much saying that 75% of games this season are going to be easy wins.  There not going to be.

I think in the end we will win tomorow, and do it pretty comfortably, but it is still a tough game.  Walsall have been near the bottom of the league in the last couple of seasons, so they will give 100% and they will fight and if we are complacent they could beat us.  So if we think we can go up through the automatics or play offs we have to win these games by a fair few goals and let''s hope we do that, but just remember they want to win too.

OTBC

[/quote]Bit of a state the obvious post to be honest but the points are valid although I don''t think anyone is getting too ahead of themselves.

[quote user="Boyo''"]

OTBC]

Well I think we had a good idea of it on Tuesday night, If we stand up to walsall in the same way we will be fine (NO DOC PLEASE) get Holt to put his shooting boots on and Cody do the same we will be ok,  

It''s the kind of game that we''ve lost over the last few seasons.   We get a good (or, at least, decent) result or two, everyone starts to get their hopes up, a team we really "should" beat comes to Carrow Road, we start off full of confidence but the first couple of chances don''t go in, they play with ten or even eleven men behind the ball, we start to lose confidence, the crowd goes quiet, we start to play a lot of square and backward passes before hitting it long and high to their centre backs, they get a break away goal, and we lose 1-0.

In some ways this is as much of a test of Lambert''s new regime as the more difficult games to come against MK Dons and Charlton.    Can we do a professional job on teams that we ought to be beating at Carrow Road?  I want to believe that we can.

Brentford only threatened us on Tuesday night when they passed it around and gave it to their wingers, even then they struggled to breach Nelson and Askou. As soon as Brentford tried long ball football Nelson and Askou were totally dominant... if Walsall bring a typical league one hoof ball tactic tomorrow we won''t have any problems...

Brentford were a big bunch of hooters in both matches we played against them. Doc couldn''t handle cort in the first one though.

I agree with a post above, this game is a test not because Walsall will be any good, but because it will be a test of whether any of the complacency that showed up against col u will be back following a decent couple of games. We''ll learn a bit more about lambert, I have high hopes as he seems incredibly grounded.

Scoreline aside, we man-handled Brentford, as side that fairly well dominated us just weeks before, and who are top 6. Granted they apparently did not play their best team, but neither did we, and we dominated them. 

The turn around does not seem to be just a mirage.  I only hope it is not just the honeymoon of the new manager either. Grant had an extended one before reality hit.  Hopefully Lambert''s reality is he DOES know what he''s doing and how properly to manage a team.

Warsaw so far does not look anywhere as good as Brentford, so this 3rd in a row should be little more than a matter of playing the game.