Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Re: Chips

[quote user="Mister Chops"]They microwave them.  Those chips have the nutritonal value of cardboard, but they are a good winter warmer.

[/quote]

They must do somthing to the raw chips before microwaving them?

[quote user="tom cavendish"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]They microwave them.  Those chips have the nutritonal value of cardboard, but they are a good winter warmer.[/quote]

[/quote]They take out all the nutrition and baste them in salt.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]They microwave them.  Those chips have the nutritonal value of cardboard, but they are a good winter warmer.

[/quote]

[/quote]

They take out all the nutrition and baste them in salt.
[/quote]

LOL I want instructions cos they tatse so nice.

Off topic, but does anybody else think that the beer pre bottled Carling used to be watered down? Probably impossible due to the way its removed from the casks but it sure tasted like it was. I shall give up my steak & kidney pie today and try some of these amazing chips.

[quote user="Kidderminster Canary"]No you are wrong, they have similat nutriional value to fresh chips[/quote]Not exactly "one of your five a day" in the first place though, are they?

First of all.. Hello Kidderminster Canary.. i was born in kidderminster, good to know theres a bit of yellow about :)

I think you will find that such fries are ''blanched'' in oil first, then let to cool, which soaks up alot of oil, then are re-fried which makes them very crispy..most companies use fry-max oil, and having been in carras kitchens im pretty sure its the same, its de-hydrogenated oil which means it has a higher flash (burning) point.

The flavouring is mainly salt.

and yes i am a cheffy geek.

[quote user="nu_matik"]First of all.. Hello Kidderminster Canary.. i was born in kidderminster, good to know theres a bit of yellow about :) I think you will find that such fries are ''blanched'' in oil first, then let to cool, which soaks up alot of oil, then are re-fried which makes them very crispy..most companies use fry-max oil, and having been in carras kitchens im pretty sure its the same, its de-hydrogenated oil which means it has a higher flash (burning) point. The flavouring is mainly salt. and yes i am a cheffy geek.[/quote]

They did seem as if they were double fried and I had heard the best chips are cooked like that - fried once then let to cool, and then fried again.

I shall have to try find some of that Frymax oil:

"Frymax oil is free from additives, low in transfats , contains no hydrogenated fats and no nut produce. Frymax is the leading all vegetable frying fat for the fish frying trade with an enviable reputation for quality built up over 50 years. It is an additive free, longer lasting product delivering perfect performance time after time. Frymax contains no hydrogenated oils and has only a trace (less than 1%) of trans fatty acids."

Yes they do double fry and as well as making them more crispy it also has the bonus of making them hot for when you buy them, as they can fry them just before sale. :-)