Sign in to follow this  
USAcanary

Should we give Bryan Gunn some credit in his transfer dealings....

I did suggest that after Bryan Gunn was sacked that history may judge his short managerial reign differently as time has passed and the Colchester game is long forgotten.

Here is list of Bryan Gunn''s signings while in charge and their (estimated from paper talk) cost

Theoklitos (free)

Askou (free)

Nelson (free)

Wiggins (100K)

OTJ (at most 250K)

Hughes (free)

Gill (free)

Whaley (150K)

McVeigh (free)

Holt  (450K)

Maric (free)

McDonald (25K)

My opinion (so far) is the following are good value (in relative terms)

Askou (free)

Nelson (free)

Hughes (free)

McVeigh (free)

Holt  (450K)

McDonald (25K)

The following are questionable/unproven because of lack of games/injuries ect ect (but could turn out to be good or bad)

Wiggins (100K)

OTJ (at most 250K)

Gill (free)

Whaley (150K)

Maric (free)

Probably only 1 who was an outright mistake.

Theoklitos (free)

And even then we may be a bit harsh to judge on one game, although the new manager watches him in training and is not inspired to give him another shot, which is very telling IMHO.

The selling of Marshall and Sammy more than covered all the signings along with the rebate for Holt.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

I did suggest that after Bryan Gunn was sacked that history may judge his short managerial reign differently as time has passed and the Colchester game is long forgotten.

[/quote]And I suggest that history will always show he took us down, winning only 6 of 21 games in charge, and then led us to a record home defeat against a mediocre (no offence, Cam) League One side who didn''t have to play particularly well to rout us.If your argument is he was a decent Head of Player Recruitment, fine.  Managers do more than sign players though.  They have to build a team.  Gunn failed.

[quote user="Norwich"]Agreed, TBF he did make some very good signings at this level, but then again some bad ones...[:|][/quote]

Not sure how manyreally  bad ones he has made?........ As I said maybe in a years time history will be kinder.

I think any manager who has over a 70% success rate in the transfer market is doing incredibly well.

I think even if you look at the very best managers of all time, even they have bought some players who have have been rubbish for one reason or another.

As much as I think Lambert has changed the mentality/shape of the team I actually think he is pretty happy overall with the strength of the squad.........

If he wasn''t I am sure he would have stayed with Colchester.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

And I suggest that history will always show he took us down, winning only 6 of 21 games in charge, and then led us to a record home defeat against a mediocre (no offence, Cam) League One side who didn''t have to play particularly well to rout us.

If your argument is he was a decent Head of Player Recruitment, fine.  Managers do more than sign players though.  They have to build a team.  Gunn failed.

[/quote]

The title is " Should we give Bryan Gunn some credit in his transfer dealings...."

[quote user="I am a Banana"]i agree he just wans''t able to gel them together![/quote]

Absolutely............ Thats the point...........good at player recruitment............... poor at man/team management.

Probably took one job too many up the ladder........ Classic "peter principle"

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]And I suggest that history will always show he took us down, winning only 6 of 21 games in charge, and then led us to a record home defeat against a mediocre (no offence, Cam) League One side who didn''t have to play particularly well to rout us.If your argument is he was a decent Head of Player Recruitment, fine.  Managers do more than sign players though.  They have to build a team.  Gunn failed.

[/quote]

The title is " Should we give Bryan Gunn some credit in his transfer dealings...."

[/quote]And then your opening paragraph begins "I did suggest that after Bryan Gunn was sacked that history may judge his short managerial reign differently" as if all a managerial reign consists of is signing players.

Some credit is due for his transfer dealings, but as a manager he might be seen by some as one of the worst in the entire history of NCFC. Lambert (so far) 8 out of 10. Gunny 4 out of 10.

I think he does deserve some credit yes, and still would love him to have a job at the club.

He made a lot of signings, which is very good as it has gave lambert a big choice of players (something like 7 different strikers). And think, they might not look that good, but im sure they ALL can win us games in this league...

[quote user="Brendan"]I think he does deserve some credit yes, and still would love him to have a job at the club. He made a lot of signings, which is very good as it has gave lambert a big choice of players (something like 7 different strikers). And think, they might not look that good, but im sure they ALL can win us games in this league...[/quote]

Exactly........ maybe It went over a few peoples heads but I am not claiming he was a good manager.....his record speaks for itself.

I am just suggesting that history will still judge him a poor manager based on results but maybe his transfer dealings "MAY" just have set in place a solid foundation for a better manager to come along and give us a bit of success.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]I think this chap deserves some credit.....as well. [/quote]

For what..........? He was long gone when Gunn made nearly all those signings...........

Him leaving might just have been the turning point.

Just how long does anyone think it will take for the Colchester game to be "long forgotten"?  I suspect that this enormous blot on the club''s history will take so long to forget that at that point people may not remember whether Brian Gunn had hair or not, never mind how good his signings were!

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]I think this chap deserves some credit.....as well. [/quote]

For what..........? He was long gone when Gunn made nearly all those signings...........

Him leaving might just have been the turning point.

[/quote]

His departure - will signal the end of this football club.....

[quote user="Dronny Canary"]Just how long does anyone think it will take for the Colchester game to be "long forgotten"?  I suspect that this enormous blot on the club''s history will take so long to forget that at that point people may not remember whether Brian Gunn had hair or not, never mind how good his signings were![/quote]

LOL, if we get promoted this year it will mean nothing...........just another loss in a successful season.......

We lost and drew to Bradford in our promotion season.......... anyone remember how bad they sucked?

Exactly.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[quote user="Dronny Canary"]Just how long does anyone think it will take for the Colchester game to be "long forgotten"?  I suspect that this enormous blot on the club''s history will take so long to forget that at that point people may not remember whether Brian Gunn had hair or not, never mind how good his signings were![/quote]

LOL, if we get promoted this year it will mean nothing...........just another loss in a successful season.......

We lost and drew to Bradford in our promotion season.......... anyone remember how bad they sucked?

Exactly.

[/quote]

Neither of them were 7-1 and on neither occasion were we the complete and utter shambles that we were on that awful day.  We were humiliated and a national laughing stock.  This game will not have been so significant if we end up going back up but forgotten?  You''ve simply got to be joking!

There are more duds in Gunns signings than good ones , he was out of his depth in every department of football management and we should just be thankful he was removed by McNally as quickly as Delia appointed him .

[quote user="NCFC League1"]There are more duds in Gunns signings than good ones , he was out of his depth in every department of football management and we should just be thankful he was removed by McNally as quickly as Delia appointed him .
[/quote]

I agree and wonder why some people seem to continually try to put some kind of positive gloss on what was a truly awful part of our club''s history.  In my view Bryan will always be a legend at Carrow Road - but for the player he was not in any way how he was as a manager. 

[quote user="NCFC League1"]There are more duds in Gunns signings than good ones , he was out of his depth in every department of football management and we should just be thankful he was removed by McNally as quickly as Delia appointed him .
[/quote]

I think its ironic that McNally/board signed off on every single one of those transfers...........Do he/they get a free pass?

[quote user="Dronny Canary"]

[/quote]

I agree and wonder why some people seem to continually try to put some kind of positive gloss on what was a truly awful part of our club''s history.  In my view Bryan will always be a legend at Carrow Road - but for the player he was not in any way how he was as a manager. 

[/quote]

OK so which of the 12 signings do you think are terrible..................

You agreed there are more duds than good players.......... name the 7+ duds Gunn signed.............

There are three other problems with the initial post:(a) the cost of a player isn''t just the transfer fee, it''s also the wages.  Hughes is rumoured to be on £7k a week, which isn''t a small sum over 2 years.  So saying players were "free" is a bit misleading though I get what you mean.  Just that over time, Hughes might be more expensive than Holt.  Anyway, minor point.(b) Nelson has had one shocking game and two reasonably good ones, so saying he''s a "good" signing is a bit premature IMO.(c) It''s a bit strange that you''re willing to say the following signings are good based on limited games, and then that you can''t judge the others because they haven''t played enough games yet...So anyway, in response and based on past & current performance:"Looking Good" signingsMcDonald (25K)Askou (free)Hughes (free)McVeigh (free)Holt  (450K)

Can''t comment/Jury''s out:Wiggins (100K)Nelson (free)

"Looking Dubious" signings

Theoklitos (free)

Gill (free)

Whaley (150K)

OTJ (at most 250K)

Maric (free)

5 good, 5 dubious, 2 no comments from me.

I agree that those 5 signings are looking good; I also think after seeing Nelson''s performance at Hartlepool and against Brentford, that he is well on his way to redeeming himself at League One level. Whatever we feel about the balance of Gunn''s signings; he was tactically naive; I''m no expert but even I could see that Theo, Semmy and Nelson needed to be substituted in the Colchester game, after the 4th goal went in, or at half time at the latest. It was clear that they were in shock, and needed removing from the scene. That Gunn, great bloke that he is, couldn''t see this, made his position untenable.

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote user="Dronny Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK so which of the 12 signings do you think are terrible..................

You agreed there are more duds than good players.......... name the 7+ duds Gunn signed.............

[/quote]

Here goes (and this is just my opinion!) Theo, Gill, Whaley, OTJ, Maric, Nelson (will turn out to be the new Doc only with even less skill!), Wiggins (so far - will we ever see him play).  I also like Paul McVeigh and think he is adding to the overall team at the moment but that''s very much a short term one isn''t it?).  How about the general point though.  Why the constant trying to put a positive gloss on an awful spell in charge?

[quote user="if I promise to behave"]I agree that those 5 signings are looking good; I also think after seeing Nelson''s performance at Hartlepool and against Brentford, that he is well on his way to redeeming himself at League One level. Whatever we feel about the balance of Gunn''s signings; he was tactically naive; I''m no expert but even I could see that Theo, Semmy and Nelson needed to be substituted in the Colchester game, after the 4th goal went in, or at half time at the latest. It was clear that they were in shock, and needed removing from the scene. That Gunn, great bloke that he is, couldn''t see this, made his position untenable.[/quote]

I think you just about sum it up.  The only one I''m still not convinced by is Nelson.  I would love to be proved wrong on this one as he seems a great bloke but I''m really worried that when he comes up against any real quality in relation to movement and pace (when we play the better teams in this league) he will really struggle.  Hartlepool fans seem to feel that he had at best a medicore season for them last year.  He just might be one of those who''s had his better days as a player, although I really hope not!

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

I think its ironic that McNally/board signed off on every single one of those transfers...........Do he/they get a free pass?

[/quote]

So do we now expect the board to go out and vet every player suggested by the manager to sign?  They''ve got to back the manager''s judgement but obviously when it is shown on the pitch that that judgement is flawed they have to take action.  The one big mistake that I do hold the board responsible for this summer was appointing Bryan in the first place although I would give them a bit of credit for acting so quickly when it was obvious to everyone what an awful mistake it was.  Bryan was out of his depth but you can''t blame him for offering to do the job.  The fault there lies above.