Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

Plan B?

I think that if any of us still held the romantic notion that we would get back to the Championship by playing lovely football, today''s industrial strength hoof fest should have applied the final wake up call. At the end of the day I can''t argue with Lambert''s point that, given the state we were in when he arrived, to take 7 out of the next 9 is pretty decent, but there are worrying signs that we will find it hard to break down hard working and solid teams (and  I thought Walsall were) who set their stall out to get a point first and then see nicking a win as a bonus. Today was simply soul destroying for anyone brought up on the Norwich City "style" as central midfielders risked RSI in their necks as the ball flew backwards and forwards above them. As my wife pointed out, we wouldn''t have scored had we still been out there.

The new keeper did ok, but was a little indecisive on occasions and was a very lucky young man when he palmed a cross out towards the penalty spot only to see an alert defender beat the onrushing forward to what would have been a tap in. I also thought he took too long to get rid of the ball at times. As for the back four, yes, it was a clean sheet, but hardly a convincing one, with Nelson and Askou being given a tough time both in the air and on the ground. The fullbacks did ok but had little chance to overlap as our build up was largely non existent.

I rate Hughes very highly but felt for him today as he was bypassed so much, although his passing wasn''t as good as usual. He made a great run into the box in the second half and would have been in had Holt''s pass not deflected off Cureton,one of the few times the latter got anywhere near a ball in the box. I think  that Korey suffered a touch of young player syndrome today, ie young lads come in, play on adrenaline for a few games and then go off the boil. He has a great future but cannot be expected to be consistent week in, week out. McVeigh  and Lappin were both some way under par.

Holt is such an honest player, but today, I''m afraid, had a bit of a mare. His touch was off and the jolly green giant at the back was a bit  too strong for him. His day was summed up by the pig''s ear he made of the chance of the day at the start of the second half. As for Cureton, yes he has experience, but he has not scored competitively since January (despite quite a number of starts, before someone introduces that well worn canard), but more worryingly hasn''t threatened goal in the last three games. One can only hope that Lambert is planning to bring in a loan striker.

As for the subs, Daley is fast, but is too easily forced into blind alleys, Russell has the touch of Jack the Ripper, but Cody actually looked like he might make something happen. as for the result, it was fair, and could have been worse,  but it''s not today that concerns me, it''s the long term implications if our response to dug in defences is to continue to be aerial bombardment. Do we have a Plan B?

My biggest worry is that we have been sussed today and that other clubs will come to Carrow Road and do exactly what Walsall did today.

We did look bloody woeful today, lets just hope that it''s a blip

Looking slightly further ahead....

Just supposing we fluke promotion (Yeah, I''ll wake up in a minute), we basically need another 12 players of Championship standard.

I fear we may be here for sometime. [:''(]

[quote user="Sideshow Tim"]My biggest worry is that we have been sussed today and that other clubs will come to Carrow Road and do exactly what Walsall did today.

We did look bloody woeful today, lets just hope that it''s a blip[/quote]

Leicester struggled to adapt to league one for the first few games, and Walsall came to The Walkers and got a 0-0 draw as well. Over the next 2/3 games you''ll adapt, find ways to exploit weaknesses in the opposition and what your strengths are and how to use them effectively.

You''ll finish in the top 6 and overall it will be a good season for you.

I''m not going to go over-board with some of the negativty above. I agree with pretty much all of the OP though.