Sign in to follow this  
different gravy

Load of old pony

Clueless, diabolical performance today.  Lamberts honeymoon is over. I have never been as bored as i have been today. Is Lambert still experimenting with the sides?  My god if he is then we have a chance, if not the team are in trouble.  Where is Wes Hoolihan surely he can play in his natural position, ''the hole'' and is better than cureton.  Im disgusted with the performance and midweeks episode, how far have the club fallen.  Come on Gold and Sullivan we need you NOW!  What makes matters worse is that some of the board members and club hangers on are lording it in Roccos tonight, absolutely bladdered.  Hasn''t Mcnasty put the thumb screws on these guys?

Don''t think Hoolahan would have made the difference alone unfortunately. I think if you have Hoolahan in the team you either have to play him just behind a main striker like Holt or as a loosely designated midfielder. The problem with that is that whilst we bypassed the midfield a lot he wouldnt have got the ball as much as you would have liked.For me what we needed was some pace. Macdonald had them all over the place at the end and showed you what some genuine pace can give you. They came with a game plan which was to stop us scoring, they knew that with the likes of Cureton and Holt we don''t have anyone up front with the pace to get in behind us meaning they could push us much further up the pitch. What we needed was Whaley on the bench today to come on for McVeigh or even to push Semi up and bring on Spillane. Give them some pace to think about.I think that was half the problem. They had two big centre halfs willing to do battle with Holt but there is very little point putting it on his head on the half way line. Especially if you are looking for Cureton to ''speed'' onto any flick ons.For me it also shows why Spillane does a good job at centre back. Askou seems to go by example and with Nelson or Doherty there he seems to be encourage to hoof the ball. Although slightly more open when Spillane plays we at least look to try and knock the ball about a bit more.Like I say I am not sure that Hoolahan would have really featured in todays type of game, if he had the type of player to release with good balls that would be a different matter.However all in all they had two chances and in fairness Byfield was forced wide for one and he should have cut back and not shot. We may have been slightly lucky to not have conceded but we had a couple of good chances and a goal dubiously dissallowed. Ontop of that if the referee saw the fould to Hughes then there should have been a booking and if he had spotted the tug-grope and man-hug on Macdonald who knows!