Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Player Ratings - Norwich City v Walsall

You can imagine the scene in the dressing room before the match.Lambert:  "Right lads, so let''s play long ball up to Holt for the first few minutes."Hughes: "But boss, what if that doesn''t work?"Lambert: "Er - then let''s try hitting it long to Holty and see if he can produce something."Lappin: "Okay boss, but then what?"Lambert: "Um - well, Plan C will be to bang it up the pitch to Holt and see if he can create anything."And so the match went, a dreary and depressingly dull encounter between journeymen sprinkled with a few Academy prospects who didn''t look out of place or inspiring.  If football really is working class theatre then this was a play set in a one bedroom flat in the darkest winter of Communist Russia where an elderly couple are coming to terms with losing their entire family to hypothermia.City set no tempo, played with no fire, and ambled around as if it was a friendly - Walsall sat back, attacked when they could be bothered, and would have won if Grant Holt had played for them.  Tedious and dismal, a crappy Saturday afternoon at the fortress.

Forster - 5.5 - solid but killed the game with slow distribution and needless hoofingSemi - 5.5Drury - 5.5Askou - 6 - my MoM for two goal-saving tackles after Nelson decided to impersonate Mr BlobbyNelson - 5 - is this player really better than Spillane or Doc?  Christ help us if the answer is yes.Lappin - 6Hughes - 6Smith - 5.5WLY - 5Cureton - 5 - his first touch is always a backpass and his shots have become clearancesHolt - 6SubsMcDonald - 6Russell - 5.5 - if he''s a Premiership player, I''m Charlie Chaplin.

No but Leeds and Charlton are it seems, can''t stop winning! (Of course they will lose a few, but i don''t think it will be loads)

[quote user="Hucks6"]We still got a point we are not going to win every game.So stop crying doughnut[/quote]

Play like that every game and we''ll be lucky to get the one point.

Well up there as one of the worst games I have watched at Carra Rud.

HOOF

[quote user="Hucks6"]We still got a point we are not going to win every game.So stop crying doughnut[/quote]A point in a 0-0 draw at home against Walsall.  You''re right, let''s go out and celebrate.

My friend just texted me to say ''cheer up''!  I really didn''t mean to sound so depressed on Canary Call but a) I could''nt get to the game and b) it sounded so very dull. otbc!

[quote user="AndyJR"]My friend just texted me to say ''cheer up''!  I really didn''t mean to sound so depressed on Canary Call but a) I could''nt get to the game and b) it sounded so very dull. otbc![/quote]who what where ?Someone admiting to being on Canary Call ???*Points and Laughs*

Forster - not much to do, poor distribution, doesn''t seem to strike the ball well

Semmy - thought he did pretty well to be fair, solid defensively, couple of great forward runs

Nelson - seen enough of him now to know he''s not as good as Doherty, decent but nothing more than that

Askou - decent again today, I like the way he fights for the ball, if he gets beat in the air he''s straight back in for it

Drury - solid enough, definitely lost a yard of pace

McVeigh - not one of his better games, plenty of ability but didn''t make much happen

Hughes - thought he played pretty well, uses the ball really well and has some very classy touches

Smith - quite a bit off the pace today, needed someone with a bit more know how

Lappin - very average performance, especially in comparison to his recent good form

Holt - poor, did nothing, expect better from him

Cureton - same problems as always, just not good enough

Daley - gave us a bit more life but never made anything very meaningful happen

Cody - looked like he could cause them problems, got the pace and passion that Cureton is missing

Russell - should have been on sooner, Smith was out of his depth in the middle

Forster - 5

Semi - 5

Drury - 4

Nelson - 4

Askou - 5

Lappin - 5

Hughes - 4

Smith - 4.5

WLY - 4

Holt - 4

Cureton - 4

Subs:

Russell - 5

Daley - 4.5

McDonald - 5

None of them were worth any more than a 4 imo, that has to be the most depressing game I''ve ever seen at Carrow Road. No urgency or passion at all, we just didn''t seem like we wanted to win the game enough to me. When I watch us play like that against a poor team like Walsall I really fear for us in the next 2 games against better opposition.

Yeah, the next 2 games i think is one of those important parts of the season. Quite concerned about the next 2.

Think it will show whether we are play-off contenders or just mid table mediocrity (Yes i have written off automatic promotion already)

[quote user="Hucks6"]We still got a point we are not going to win every game.So stop crying doughnut[/quote]So why have charlton won every single game? It''s not good enough for us.

An all round 5 apart from Nelson, 3 for him, he was almost back to Colchester levels,missed to many headers and looked like a puppy on ice, Barn door who gets 1 and thats just because he at least put the right shirt on,very poor game today and a huge let down,AGAIN!!! Lets hope PL gives them a good talking to and also learns that Barn door Jamie has lost it!!

[quote user="kdncfc"]

None of them were worth any more than a 4 imo, that has to be the most depressing game I''ve ever seen at Carrow Road. No urgency or passion at all, we just didn''t seem like we wanted to win the game enough to me. When I watch us play like that against a poor team like Walsall I really fear for us in the next 2 games against better opposition.

[/quote]Think back to the start of the season and then rethink your statement.

I Was Unable To Hear Or Watch The Game, But I Recon We Could Have Done With 3 Points Today As We Have The ''Unbeatable'' Charlton Coming Up, But Hey Ho, It''s Still Early On, Lets Hope For A Big Win Against Mk Dons On The 14th [:D]

[quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"][quote user="kdncfc"]

[/quote]
Think back to the start of the season and then rethink your statement.
[/quote]

I''d forgotten all about that, thanks for reminding me. I think that game was more shocking than depressing tbh.

A very depressing afternoon. Difficult to name one player who came out of the game with any credit.

The only positive I can think of is that it''s another clean sheet.

Time to make your peace with Wes, Mr Lambert.

Can someone please point out Hughes'' classy touches and how he made things happen. He did a good holding job but IMO didn''t offer much going forward. McVeigh gave us the only pass that really gave them any trouble at all.

One game doesn''t mean anything for a player who has been a breath of fresh air, look to other players. I think we should get off the backs of players who play well and then have an average game.

One good pass in a game means nothing in my opinion.

I''m not slating Hughes i think he''s a great player, just today i don''t think he was any better than the rest of our midfield offering creativity.

Thats the problem, with no Hoolahan there isn''t much of a killer pass player. If Hughes has an off day then there isn''t much else, totally agree.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

If football really is working class theatre then this was a play set in a one bedroom flat in the darkest winter of Communist Russia where an elderly couple are coming to terms with losing their entire family to hypothermia.

[/quote]

Just how I felt Chops.

It was a bit like world war 2 rationing............... without the oranges.

It reminded me of a game in the 60''s against Bristol City the only difference being that the entire main stand chucked their seat cushions on the pitch.

Oh for those exciting days of yesteryear.

(HMS) Nelson was slower than a snail.Cureton cannot for the life of him get a chance to go in, or make one.If Hughes, WLY and Lappin aren''t passed to we''re hoofing it and are not going to score.Holt will struggle against bigger, stronger and faster defenders than himself.Cody is an extremely limited player who will never get us enough goals.

Great post MC....agree with your marks and every word......what a waste of a Saturday....and H6.......MUPPET.

[quote user="Fellas"]
Holt will struggle against bigger, stronger and faster defenders than himself.
[/quote]

[^o)]Very astute. I think that applies to Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka and all. It''s a bit harsh to single out Holt.

[quote user="Emotional Rex"]

[quote user="Fellas"]Holt will struggle against bigger, stronger and faster defenders than himself.[/quote]

[^o)]Very astute. I think that applies to Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka and all. It''s a bit harsh to single out Holt.

[/quote]I was referring to the point that lambert continued to let us hoof it to him despite those obvious facts...

Oh dear.  Woeful at teh back,  ponderous in midfield and leaden footed up front.  The game plan seemed to be to ignore the foundation of the two win and go route one forgetting that we created goals by getting the ball to Zipper and Lappin. Long ball after another were easily mopped up by Walsall who were not good but easily held their own and could have deservedly gone home with all 3 points.  Instead we hoick the ball aimlessly forward and hoped but never looked like scoring.  Somehow we kept a clean sheet but now the tougher games start for Lambert 

Forster 6 Did OK,  only mistake was palming a cross into the path of a striker, which BA blocked with a Doc type lunge  

Semi - 6  One of his better games,   still not good defensively and woeful going forward despire his pace
Drury -  7 The only defender on show today,  brave, positionally strong and got forward well in the first half.  Worried me what would happen if he was injured.
Askou - 6 Streets ahead of Nelson,  but still misjudges too much in the air and not strong enough on the floor.  Hope he improves
Nelson -  3  Enough has been said already,  slow, misread, cant pass.  Byfield will never have an easier game in his career and not score no wonder he was subbed! And STILL some people blindly prefer him to Doc 

Lappin - 5  Poor today,  no,  his defenders did not look to find him,  but his set pieces and crossing was not good enough today
Hughes - 5 Quiet and failed to impose,  sat too deep
Smith - 6  Unlucky to be taken off,  did his job of disrupting play and worked his socks off. 
WLY - 7  Saw precious too little of the ball as head tennis and the long ball bypassed him,  but worked hard and was the only player that looked like creating an opening or actually scoring. Unbelievable he was taken off, unless he was injured? Prob my motm
Cureton - 4 As my mum said seemed to work hard at hiding behind defenders.  Effort but absolutely  no impact on the game 

Holt - 6 Ran jumped and ran again.  Monumental effort but with no support.  He must be gutted.

Daley 5 pace but nothing else

Cody 5 Pace but brainless with it.  Unlike some I do not think he was streets ahead of cureton.  He did run and work,  but his option choices were poor and his passings woeful,  lappin rightly screamed at him late on when the square ball was a must.  Had he gone down for the shirt pulling he may have got a penalty;  he didnt,  and when did you last see  a penalty given for a shirt pull when the attacker still has the ball??

Russell 5 Such a great athlete yet so little effort - Ots v2.