Sign in to follow this  
matt crowhurst

doc v nelson

If you D''OH-erty defenders base everything on today''s game for Nelson''s distribution skills, or lack of, then base D''OH-erty''s playing skills on one game too, the Colchester one. 

It sounds like Nelson is not cut out for hoof ball soccer, but that is not what we''ve generally been playing under Lambert is it?

Also, people keep saying D''OHerty is as good as Nelson.  If that is the case, then let Nelson play until something goes wrong. 3 clean sheets speak volumes.  Why are we even having this discussion? 

so its unfair to single Nelson out after today but if Doc had played how nelson did then he would have got crucified and is still getting crucified, talk about double standards. consistently poor: seen Nelson three times, colchester, today and brentford when he lost a man who should have scored but for alnwick pulling off a good save, that too me is fairly consistent, he''s been poor in all of them but i forget he isnt doc so we can make excuses for him eh?

They''re both poor defenders imo, both are error prone and give away far to many free kicks. I''d rather neither of them were in our defence tbh, trouble is there''s nobody except Spillane to replace them and I remain far from convinced that he is any better. He''s been guilty of bad marking on more than one occasion already this season.

I would like to prefer Spillane to both Nelson and the Doc, but he''s too easily worked by big strikers, and the defence seems extremely fragile at the moment when he''s in it. And i feel he really needs to work on his positioning and composure before we really start relying on him in the defence.Perhaps the midfield would be best for him at the moment, as i don''t feel he quite provides the kind of confidence we need in the back.

I know he played vs Colchester, too.  However, in these other games you refer to for his errors, we have not been scored on despite his errors.  They have not yet had the crushing impact D''OH-erty''s blunders do. So why make a change.  3 clean sheets in a row! We will have enough to open a linen store soon.

I tend to agree with those who say you can''t drop a player who has contributed to 3 clean sheets in a row. However I too thought that Nelson was dreadful today. He looked slow and was far from comanding in the air. To me he did nothing that Doherty would be unable to do. Yes he is more of a threat in the opposition box but this is balanced out by his woeful inability on the ball.

Neither are any great shakes but if i had to choose i would pick the Doc every time

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

If you D''OH-erty defenders base everything on today''s game for Nelson''s distribution skills, or lack of, then base D''OH-erty''s playing skills on one game too, the Colchester one. 

It sounds like Nelson is not cut out for hoof ball soccer, but that is not what we''ve generally been playing under Lambert is it?

Also, people keep saying D''OHerty is as good as Nelson.  If that is the case, then let Nelson play until something goes wrong. 3 clean sheets speak volumes.  Why are we even having this discussion? 

[/quote]

Your view is from 6000 miles away. I was there and my opinion backed by 50 years of watching football is that Nelson is not fit to lace the Doc''s boots.

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]After todays performance it would have to be Doc. thought nelson was awful, got beat loads, rugby tackled one time which doc is always getting criticised for and didnt have a clue what to do with the ball apart from hoof it upfield or out of touch

would like to see Doc play with this midfield as he hasnt done yet and the midfield contribute as much to the clean sheets as the defence do
[/quote]

No Doc 3 clean sheets, when he plays we bleed goals, Nelson had a bad day at the office today, we have to get rid of Doc next week.  

The problem today was further up the field.  If we did not pass enough it is mainly down to the midfield.  CB really should only have to make easy passes to midfielders making themselves available by finding space, that did not happen.  For my money both are not great but Nelson shades it.  We have seen less of him, we know he is uncultured and a hoof merchant, but I remember Mackay being worse when we first had him, hopefully Nelson will turn out like him.  The Doc has had good games and good seasons, however this does come with mistakes which overall make him inconsistent.  Unfortunately CB is not a position to be inconsistent.   I really feel he should move on, if he is quality then something is frustrating him showing it here.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I''d be seriously interested to hear from others that saw the game today how Nelson could possibly be a better defender than Doherty. Also those who thought Worthy played hoofball got the chance to find out what hoofball really is. And Nelson hoofed it like he had a patch over both eyes.

[/quote]Well, quite.  But don''t underestimate the power of prejudice.  Anyone who thinks Nelson is a better player than Doc must have a different set of Association Football rules.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

I''d be seriously interested to hear from others that saw the game today how Nelson could possibly be a better defender than Doherty. Also those who thought Worthy played hoofball got the chance to find out what hoofball really is. And Nelson hoofed it like he had a patch over both eyes.

[/quote]Well, quite.  But don''t underestimate the power of prejudice.  Anyone who thinks Nelson is a better player than Doc must have a different set of Association Football rules.

[/quote]Hmmmmmmm.  Prejudice is based loosely on bias which can work 2 ways.  How is the pro-Doc crusade?

[quote user="big dick sanchez"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Hmmmmmmm.  Prejudice is based loosely on bias which can work 2 ways.  How is the pro-Doc crusade? [/quote]To be honest, it''s all the better for Nelson''s performance today.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="big dick sanchez"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Hmmmmmmm.  Prejudice is based loosely on bias which can work 2 ways.  How is the pro-Doc crusade? [/quote]To be honest, it''s all the better for Nelson''s performance today.

[/quote]Well saying Doc is better than Nelson hardly makes him the next Baresi.

When i''ve been watching the Doc i have been a fan of his because of his loyalty and wins a lot of headers etc. However at least once a game he does something that makes me wonder how he plays at this level, it could be one of his many slips or clumsyness. If he did a mistake once every 10 games or something then i might be able to bare it but its become to be a common thing. So i think either way it should probably be Nelson or another replacement, unless the Doc changes his ways with some miracle!

[quote user="big dick sanchez"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="big dick sanchez"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Well saying Doc is better than Nelson hardly makes him the next Baresi.[/quote]Agreed.  The fact that Doc is one of our best central defenders only says one thing, and that is "transfer market."

Well unlike the majority of you, for me, the Jury is still out on Nelson. Having only seen him play 3 times it''s really pointless writing him off! If Iwan Roberts career was judged on his first couple of months at the club, alot of you would be saying he wouldn''t of been fit to lace Marc Libra''s boots!

What I struggle to understand is why people still defend Gary Doherty. He may have some qualities which some people may find appealing. But he simply isn''t good enough for this club. It doesn''t matter who you''ve played for in the past, or what you''ve achieved! It''s just a lame excuse for a lame player. I remember when we got relegated from the premiership. Everyone was saying how the Doc would excel in the championship. And I remember the same argument being put forward after the Charlton game! Just give Nelson a chance. He might settle in, or it may turn out neither of the above mentioned are good enough!

The fact that Nelson and Doherty arnt actually that far apart in ability say alot. I dont dislike Doherty and i admire his commitment to the club just think he is very flawed as a professional footballer, but i cant see how anyone thinks he makes our defence look more solid, nearly every player who has played alongside him has struggled to form a decent partnership with the guy and it cant be that all those players we''re rubbish. He is also more than likely to be on substantially higher wages than Nelson, and i really dont think there is a huge difference.

I''m surprised the ridiculously maligned Doc hasn''t yet been blamed for todays dire performance!

The Doc is better than Nelson cause he is stronger in the air, harder to get past and uses the ball better.

Nelson done OK till the 2nd half when the guy he was marking started getting the better of him and he needed Askou on a few occasions to bail him out. Nelson also was lucky to not get sent of when he deliberately hauled a Wallsall player down who had got past him. It was obvious to those in the Barclay but ref behind didn''t see it!

I don''t know, there''s something about the Doc. How many times have we conceded a goal and you see the Doc look down at his boots and trudge back up the field utterly defeated. I think what lambert sees could be a lack of will to win and that is why he chooses Nelson over Doc. In pure footballing terms Doc is by far the better player (except in the oppositions box where he is useless - our prem striker too!) but there''s something lacking - he comes across as being a really nice guy and I''ve never met him personally but maybe he lacks that winning mentality. So it looks certain we''ll loan the Doc out to a championship side and hopefully fund a loan striker and defender coming in.

Surely if the Doc ends up back in the Championship my point will be proved that he is better than Nelson and would do a better job than him, cause I know from all the years odf watching 2nd tier football that Mr Nelson would struggle at that level! 

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]Nelson = The Doc without the talent Any ideas why Lambert has choosen to freeze out two of his best players......[/quote]

[:|]

Thought this would happen :/

Doc is fairly good, but really inconsistent.

Everyone is happy bunnies after Nelson has a good couple of games, he then has a bad game and hes back to crap again.

Too inconsistent for me. Put spillane cb with askou and semi rb.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

Your view is from 6000 miles away. I was there and my opinion backed by 50 years of watching football is that Nelson is not fit to lace the Doc''s boots.

[/quote]

Wahey, someone else with a bit of sense.

I tried pointing out earlier about what level Doherty has played at in his career so far in comparison to Nelson. Unfortunately most seem to have completely missed the point (which is to be expected amongst a lot of Norwich fans) If Nelson is better then why hasn''t he been up to the higher standards to play his football?

I don''t know what people expect at Norwich City these days. We''re not about to sign Rio Ferdinand or John Terry. We''ve seen various centrebacks have a go over recent seasons and not one has been a notable improvement, if an improvement at all, on Gary Doherty.

Finally...for the people saying Spillane is a better choice...dear oh dear...there''s no hope if you believe that.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I tried pointing out earlier about what level Doherty has played at in his career so far in comparison to Nelson. Unfortunately most seem to have completely missed the point (which is to be expected amongst a lot of Norwich fans) If Nelson is better then why hasn''t he been up to the higher standards to play his football?

I don''t know what people expect at Norwich City these days. We''re not about to sign Rio Ferdinand or John Terry. We''ve seen various centrebacks have a go over recent seasons and not one has been a notable improvement, if an improvement at all, on Gary Doherty.

Finally...for the people saying Spillane is a better choice...dear oh dear...there''s no hope if you believe that.

[/quote]

Common sense speaking at last!

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ritardo, if me being 6000 miles away is the best you can come up with for why we should take Nelson out of the lineup after 3 consecutive clean sheets and re-insert a player who leaves the entire team on edge, then you have no argument.  That you have seen Donkerty play so often and not seen what a liability he is tells me you don''t now how to judge the game very well. 

I have not seen Nelson play other than a few highlights.  However, I can read scores and no goals in 3 games vs 11 in 3 games says a lot. Why shake up the defensive alignment when it is obviously working very well?  You know who else used to play higher level and international soccer?  Diego Maradona.  However, I don''t think he is better than any of our present strikers.  The past is the past.