Sign in to follow this  
matt crowhurst

doc v nelson

After todays performance it would have to be Doc. thought nelson was awful, got beat loads, rugby tackled one time which doc is always getting criticised for and didnt have a clue what to do with the ball apart from hoof it upfield or out of touchwould like to see Doc play with this midfield as he hasnt done yet and the midfield contribute as much to the clean sheets as the defence do

Vs. Colchester - "Nelson was turned so easily, he''s rubbish"Vs. Hartlepool -  "Nelson and Askou could form a solid partnership"Vs. Walsall - "He''s crap again!"Vs. MK Dons - ?

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]Vs. Colchester - "Nelson was turned so easily, he''s rubbish"Vs. Hartlepool -  "Nelson and Askou could form a solid partnership"Vs. Walsall - "He''s crap again!"Vs. MK Dons - ?[/quote]I don''t understand why we signed Nelson, and I think the Doc has finally been shown up. No better than all the lunkheads who play at this level, how did he ever make the Premiership!?OTBC

Nelson was very poor today, would be interested to hear from the Doc bashers as to why they think that Doc shouldn''t be in the team ahead of Nelson.

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]After todays performance it would have to be Doc. thought nelson was awful, got beat loads, rugby tackled one time which doc is always getting criticised for and didnt have a clue what to do with the ball apart from hoof it upfield or out of touchwould like to see Doc play with this midfield as he hasnt done yet and the midfield contribute as much to the clean sheets as the defence do[/quote]Oh lord, is Doherty not guilty of very similar faults to that of Nelson then? Last i remember he was bypassing the midfield at every oppertunity as well, and theres also a very good reason he gets criticised for rugby tackling players...[^o)]The way i see it is we''ve managed 3 consecutive clean sheets with Nelson  in defence, with the Doc we''ve conceded defeat to 7-1 and 4-1 scorelines, and on top of that Nelson has scored a goal and looked dangerous in set pieces while the Doc continues to head high and above.Although i don''t see Nelson as ideal for us, i honestly don''t feel we have anyone better to replace him, and the Doc''s performances have only gone to display why i believe it''s vital we don''t play him.

Doc

As I mentioned on the Ratings thread I''ve seen enough of Nelson now to know he''s definitely not an improvement.

At the end of the day there''s a reason why Doc has played for Spurs and Norwich (and Ireland) whereas Nelson has played for Hartlepool etc.  (whether people want to realise it or not is another thing).

But unfortunately for the Doc...some people are desperate to point out any fault they can where they may choose to ignore the same faults in other players. You see that in football.

[quote user="John"][quote user="matt crowhurst"]After todays performance it would have to be Doc. thought nelson was awful, got beat loads, rugby tackled one time which doc is always getting criticised for and didnt have a clue what to do with the ball apart from hoof it upfield or out of touchwould like to see Doc play with this midfield as he hasnt done yet and the midfield contribute as much to the clean sheets as the defence do[/quote]Oh lord, is Doherty not guilty of very similar faults to that of Nelson then? Last i remember he was bypassing the midfield at every oppertunity as well, and theres also a very good reason he gets criticised for rugby tackling players...[^o)]The way i see it is we''ve managed 3 consecutive clean sheets with Nelson  in defence, with the Doc we''ve conceded defeat to 7-1 and 4-1 scorelines, and on top of that Nelson has scored a goal and looked dangerous in set pieces while the Doc continues to head high and above.Although i don''t see Nelson as ideal for us, i honestly don''t feel we have anyone better to replace him, and the Doc''s performances have only gone to display why i believe it''s vital we don''t play him.[/quote]And disrupting the backline AGAIN would be a bad move in itself.

Lordy John. Why do people see this as difficult to understand?

Clean sheets are the only thing that matter and he has 3. He has to be kept in until the stats say otherwise. Like you say, he''s not the best defender, but there are few options and Doc isn''t one of them.

Today''s dulless draw was because of a lack of creativity, not because of Nelson.

as i pointed out Doc hasnt played with this midfield which makes a massive difference to defending, nelson also played in the 7-1 defeat and 4-1 against premiership team with a 20 million strikeforce compared to walsall, wycombe and brentford!!!!!!!!!!!!!! notice you conveniently missed out the 4 nil win with doc playing there

I''d be seriously interested to hear from others that saw the game today how Nelson could possibly be a better defender than Doherty. Also those who thought Worthy played hoofball got the chance to find out what hoofball really is. And Nelson hoofed it like he had a patch over both eyes.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I''d be seriously interested to hear from others that saw the game today how Nelson could possibly be a better defender than Doherty. Also those who thought Worthy played hoofball got the chance to find out what hoofball really is. And Nelson hoofed it like he had a patch over both eyes.

[/quote]

They''ll turn a blind eye to it because they haven''t got a mindless vendetta against Nelson.

Not yet anyway...

[quote user="John"]Oh lord, is Doherty not guilty of very similar faults to that of Nelson then? Last i remember he was bypassing the midfield at every oppertunity as well, and theres also a very good reason he gets criticised for rugby tackling players...[^o)]The way i see it is we''ve managed 3 consecutive clean sheets with Nelson  in defence, with the Doc we''ve conceded defeat to 7-1 and 4-1 scorelines, and on top of that Nelson has scored a goal and looked dangerous in set pieces while the Doc continues to head high and above.Although i don''t see Nelson as ideal for us, i honestly don''t feel we have anyone better to replace him, and the Doc''s performances have only gone to display why i believe it''s vital we don''t play him.[/quote]100% agree with this. Nelson is by far the better player and frankly I think Norwich fans need to stop finding fault for the sake of it.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

They''ll turn a blind eye to it because they haven''t got a mindless vendetta against Nelson.

Not yet anyway...

[/quote]

It''s all ''armless fun really.

It is the defneders of who appear to be turning the blind eye.  3 consecutive clean sheets and thebest anyone comes up with is "he hasn''t played with this midfield".  Holy cow, he has played with all sorts of midfields in his norwich career and we are 2 divisions lower than we he signed on.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Not prone to catastrophic mistakes, uses the ball better, a threat in set piece situations, more commanding and just as strong. Let''s face it, no goals conceeded in 3 games is substantially better than Doherty''s record.Yes, he is too slow to react and is too easily turned, but in my mind is by far the better defender.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]

100% agree with this. Nelson is by far the better player and frankly I think Norwich fans need to stop finding fault for the sake of it.
[/quote]

Gary Doherty... Tottenham, Norwich, international and Premier League football

Michael Nelson... Bury, Hartlepool...lower league football

Speaks for itself to be honest...I wonder why Gary Doherty has had a better career and played at a higher level...

I wonder if there is any chance that he''s actually a fair bit better than a lot of the clueless Norwich fans give him credit for.

What did you make of the hoofball Houston?

I swear Nelson aimed one at the City Stand and it ended up in the top row of the Jarrold.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="TheGoogler"]100% agree with this. Nelson is by far the better player and frankly I think Norwich fans need to stop finding fault for the sake of it. [/quote]

Speaks for itself to be honest...I wonder why Gary Doherty has had a better career and played at a higher level...

I wonder if there is any chance that he''s actually a fair bit better than a lot of the clueless Norwich fans give him credit for.

[/quote]What a crock of crap.I - and I bet most "clueless" Norwich fans and I suppose our "clueless" manager, Paul Lambert - couldn''t give a flying fig where he''s been in the past. Fact of the matter is right now, he''s contracted to a substandard league one team which conceeded a great many goals when he was in our defence as our team''s captain. Michael Nelson offers more to the team than Gary Doherty - that''s all that matters.

[quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Not prone to catastrophic mistakes, uses the ball better, a threat in set piece situations, more commanding and just as strong. Let''s face it, no goals conceeded in 3 games is substantially better than Doherty''s record.Yes, he is too slow to react and is too easily turned, but in my mind is by far the better defender.

[/quote]

He made two catastrophic mistakes today and against even an average team we would have been punished (lost his man in the first half allowing a free header at goal and nutmeged in the second when our keeper had to pull out the only save of the match).

Uses the ball better! Come on you cannot be serious! He found the satnds more times than the pitch and played a succesion of punts upfield throughout the whole game.

Docs is poor in my eyes but Nelson is no better. Spillaine should be playing until we can get someone else in.

Didn''t see the game, of course, but am not a fan of that style of play.  Are you suggesting D''OH-erty distributes the ball better than Nelson?

As for D''OH-erty''s career with Ireland and Tottenham, both got rid of him and both are substantially better of now than they were when he was with them. Ireland in contention for World Cup spot, Tottenham top of Prem. Norwich?  Mired in middle of Division 3.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="TheGoogler"]100% agree with this. Nelson is by far the better player and frankly I think Norwich fans need to stop finding fault for the sake of it. [/quote]

[/quote]Then why is he consistently useless ???Give us some examples of games where hes been the stand out man of the match.Or hasnt made some horrible error.Is it any coincidence we have spiraled off ??Sorry but if you consider him Prem standard your the clueless one.

Doc''s distribution is a lot better than Nelson''s will ever be if today is anything to go by. Have seen Doc on numerous occasions play 40 yard balls out to the winger accurately and play balls into the midfield, Nelson done neither of these and instead just looked for Holt bout 60 yards away or the top of the stand, dont think i have ever seen so many balls played out of touch by one player before

"Give us some examples of games where hes been the stand out man of the match."what about player of the season then or does that not count, second third last year obviously done something right. how about the mom awards he has won, would be interesting to know how many and all the last ditch blocks he has done in his career and people last season were commentating on how well he played alongside shackell............people really do have short memories and Malky will be pleased when he signs him or but i suppose Malky doesnt know anything bout playing central defence either and what makes someone a good central defender.............im not saying for minute he is our best player but think he is better than nelson. what about spillane then if we cant agree on Doc v Nelson

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

Didn''t see the game, of course, but am not a fan of that style of play.  Are you suggesting D''OH-erty distributes the ball better than Nelson?

As for D''OH-erty''s career with Ireland and Tottenham, both got rid of him and both are substantially better of now than they were when he was with them. Ireland in contention for World Cup spot, Tottenham top of Prem. Norwich?  Mired in middle of Division 3.

[/quote]

I''m not a fan of it either Houston and if today is a pointer of what''s in store then it will be a long winter for those who prefer a more passing game. It was over 30 mins before we saw the first real passing move.

I can also tell you that on todays evidence Doc is streets ahead of Nelson with his distribution. I also think that if Hughes hadn''t won so many important balls in front of the back four we would have lost the game.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]He made two catastrophic mistakes today and against even an average team we would have been punished (lost his man in the first half allowing a free header at goal and nutmeged in the second when our keeper had to pull out the only save of the match).

Uses the ball better! Come on you cannot be serious! He found the satnds more times than the pitch and played a succesion of punts upfield throughout the whole game.

Docs is poor in my eyes but Nelson is no better. Spillaine should be playing until we can get someone else in.[/quote]While I agree that Spillane is for me the best option to partner Askou, I still think ultimately Nelson is a better player than Doherty. Again, yes I know mistakes were made today, but ultimately from what I''ve seen my earlier comments still stand. I think the entire team had a particularly poor day today, Nelson included and to single him out in this way is unfair. Doherty, by comparison, is particularly poor consistently and in my mind

[quote user="TheGoogler"]What a crock of crap.

I - and I bet most "clueless" Norwich fans and I suppose our "clueless" manager, Paul Lambert - couldn''t give a flying fig where he''s been in the past. Fact of the matter is right now, he''s contracted to a substandard league one team which conceeded a great many goals when he was in our defence as our team''s captain.

Michael Nelson offers more to the team than Gary Doherty - that''s all that matters.
[/quote]

Yeah wtf has playing for Tottenham years ago got to do with today?

Like your post, its completely irrelevant.