Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

The worrying thing is

that at times Culverhouse was apparently having to tell our defenders to mark their men more closely. Apart from Semi, none of the rest are very quick, so they really can''t afford to give opponents any space.I can''t believe that they have not discussed this in training, so what is the problem. Do they simply forget? Is it a matter of concentration?As other posters have suggested, the hoofball policy seems to have been an instruction from management. Or was it a reflection of the fact that with the lack of pace on the part of the players, once they could not play virtually in the opposing half, then all strategies were forgotten?Lambert did say that there is a long way to go. Certainly they seem to need to remember basics - if you give the opponent too much space by standing off, then unless you have pace yourself, you''ll struggle to stop him legally.I fear for us against MK Dons and Charlton. If we can''t mark properly, than were shall be hammered.

It has been the same every game that I have seen.  

It just demonstrates how fundamentally poor the defenders we have are.  And that there is NO leadership to keep each other disciplined.

So we needed to buy leaders and players better than we had already  - looks like a double fail on that one then.