Sign in to follow this  
USAcanary

A touch of realism........"Football is a results based business"

Lambert has won 7 out of 9 points...... If we kept that form for the next 40 games we would have earned roughly 101 points and won promotion by Easter!

Teams are going to have good games and are going to have crap games....... it happens in even the very best promotion seasons........

The moans have been for a long time that we are too "open" as a team, even Lambert suggested that as an opposing manager..

To me the signs are that we are becoming more "difficult to beat"......But thats at the cost of probably being less entertaining, which can be incredibly frustrating at home.

The serious questions will have to be asked........ would you prefer a dull draw or a close 1-0/2-1 win.......... or ..................losing 3-2........

The mark of a promotion team is picking up points on the days when you play badly.

Its interesting that Lambert has started getting some stick even though he is currently unbeaten in the LG while in charge and has 3 cleans sheets in the last 3 games........

We (the fans) wanted results........... we got results............

The bottom line is it''s a "results based business" or have we forgotten that?

its not so much on the pitch that people will have problems with lambert! but until at least january you will play functional football. he will make some decent although suprising budget signings.

like i say though it wont be on the pitch that people will have a problem with the man if he continues alonf the lines he has so far. its very reminiscent of colchester where 6 decent hard working pros were exiled into the youth team.

None of the teams played in those 3 games will finish in the top half imo, so using that sample is somewhat flawed. Let''s give it till Christmas to starting drawing conclusion from Lambert''s record either way.

As long as he keeps the Doc away from the first team and he stops the rot, I really couldn''t care who he upsets on the way.

Spot on MIA.

I go to be entertained.

The trouble with saying we''ve taken 7 out of 9 is the fact that those 3 teams are more likely to be fighting relegation than promotion at the end of the season, the proof of the pudding comes when we play those who have aspirations of going up.

How do you all know that hoofball was his tactic? You don''t.  I think we played hoofball because Stephen Hughes did not offer himself as much as usual for short easy balls, instead he had a bit of a bad day and didn''t get involved as much.  This had an effect on Korey Smith who, because of his inexperience didn''t know what to do, so he didn''t do much either.  The wingers then had to come looking for the ball inside and this made us narrow.  And then the defence had no choice but to hoof it.  Dont blame Lambert just yet.  When you watch the MK Dons game I''m sure Hughes will play better and we wont play hoofball instead we will play pretty passing football.

I have some problem with this simply because so many people were convinced that changing the manager would change everythintg. The fact is, it doesn''t. If this had happened under Gunn they would be screaming. But it''s Lambert, McNally''s ''proven success'', so it must be something else.

Automatic promotion is already all but gone. The play-offs are still possible, but I am having my doubts about that. Valuable points were lost at Exeter and Brentford, but now at home as well in a dire display of tedious football. It''s only one match, but I''m less than hopeful.

MK Dons and Charlton will be the real test. OTBC!

[quote user="Gibbo"]As long as he keeps the Doc away from the first team and he stops the rot, I really couldn''t care who he upsets on the way.[/quote]

So which two would you play at the centre of our defence then because Nelson isn''t up to the job?

I''d have Shackell back on loan to partner Askou :-)

I know the Doc isn''t as bad as is often made out, however he is synonomous with the failures of the last few seasons.

If he went to another club with a clean slate, maybe he could get back to being a decent-ish player again, but I can''t see it happening here - he makes fans nervous (especially with his ''hands-on'' approach...) and I''m sure that gets across to the players and probably makes him more prone to making mistakes. Bit of a vicious circle really...

In all seriousness though we aren''t going to get someone like Shackell in, but to me bringing the Doc back would be like taking two giant steps back.

As for Nelson, I''ve only seen the Brentford and Sunderland games, so I can''t pass judgement on him. Is he really that bad? Have we fluked 3 clean sheets? Is he showing any of the leadership qualities that people were expecting when he signed?

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]

I have some problem with this simply because so many people were convinced that changing the manager would change everythintg. The fact is, it doesn''t. If this had happened under Gunn they would be screaming. But it''s Lambert, McNally''s ''proven success'', so it must be something else.

Automatic promotion is already all but gone. The play-offs are still possible, but I am having my doubts about that. Valuable points were lost at Exeter and Brentford, but now at home as well in a dire display of tedious football. It''s only one match, but I''m less than hopeful.

MK Dons and Charlton will be the real test. OTBC!

[/quote]

The fact is that we never had a run of decent results under Gunn, nor were we ever likely to.  To be honest, after that first result I would have pleased with mid-table obscurity.  Now we have a chance of promotion via the play-offs.  In the past we''ve tried to play "passing" football with players who weren''t really up to it and weren''t really committed to the club and with no real shape or plan.  What we are going through is a necessary "back to basics" phase where getting organised as a team is the top priority.  It might just be that when this becomes second nature to our players that there will be a bit more scope to be expansive.  At the moment I''m happy with grinding out results playing unattractive football.  For me it beats pretending to be a footballing side and losing most of the time!

Yes I agree that football is all you say.  Any business worth it''s salt has to have a good grasp of the basics.  IMHO the new manager has started to put defensive priorities first by organising the team shape and assigning the players with their jobs. I feel that he has given a format to the players.  He will instill a mentality, that with the standard of player that we have and can afford; the earn the right to play ethic will be foremost in his thinking.  Shape and formation in attack and defence are qualities that any team must have especially when we NCFC can only afford to buy or employ the less spectacular type of player, honest individuals who are happy to be given a duty or a job on the pitch, almost footballing robots, one might say.  Who are not quick thinking enough to have fancy dans out there doing their own thing and creating field placing problems.  To have those types of players in the side, if we could afford them, would only create the same problems that have been prevalent in the last three years and have led to the demise of NCFC.  IMHO the manager has a tough job on his hands , but I do see a semblance of an organisational approach and a pattern of play emerging from the lads that we have and I am sure they will continue to improve.  From what I have seen, the players that Gunny brought in; for the most part they have been a been a group of triers which is better than   I have witnessed over the past three seasons. OTBC!!!

There are some real idiots talking some real rubbish on here.7 from 9, new manager bedding in.  We should be judging him in 6+ months FFS.Or shall we just sack him after 10 games?

[quote user="1st Wazzock"]

Spot on MIA.

I go to be entertained.

The trouble with saying we''ve taken 7 out of 9 is the fact that those 3 teams are more likely to be fighting relegation than promotion at the end of the season, the proof of the pudding comes when we play those who have aspirations of going up.

[/quote]

The is a common misconception.......... Man Utd dont win titles by just beating the the top 6 clubs........... they win titles by taking more points off the lesser clubs than the other teams at the top.

More than one person in this thread has suggested that the 3 teams we have just played will probably finish in the bottom half of the table..........

OK.............. if we all agree with that.............. then wouldn''t that suggest we are going to finish in the upper half of the table if we are taking 7 from 9 from such teams.

So whats the problem? Isn''t that the goal to finish sixth or better?

If we take 7 from 9 from the bottom half and 4 from 9 from the top half in the remaining 40 games we would currently finish the season on 81 points! 100% top 4, possible auto promotion. 

[quote user="ref89"]There are some real idiots talking some real rubbish on here.

7 from 9, new manager bedding in.  We should be judging him in 6+ months FFS.

Or shall we just sack him after 10 games?
[/quote]

I agree 100%........ just amazed how some are treating one poor drawn game as if Lambert has totally lost the plot.

By every metric that is important (points) he has done well (so far)

Things will be much clearer at Christmas if we have a real shot at promotion.

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote user="1st Wazzock"]

Spot on MIA.

I go to be entertained.

[/quote]

The is a common misconception.......... Man Utd dont win titles by just beating the the top 6 clubs........... they win titles by taking more points off the lesser clubs than the other teams at the top.

More than one person in this thread has suggested that the 3 teams we have just played will probably finish in the bottom half of the table..........

OK.............. if we all agree with that.............. then wouldn''t that suggest we are going to finish in the upper half of the table if we are taking 7 from 9 from such teams.

So whats the problem? Isn''t that the goal to finish sixth or better?

If we take 7 from 9 from the bottom half and 4 from 9 from the top half in the remaining 40 games we would currently finish the season on 81 points! 100% top 4, possible auto promotion. 

[/quote]I would suggest that the problem in recent seasons has been not taking points from the bottom teams, while taking them from the top teams.For example [team and points taken]: Wolves 4, Birmingham 2, Shef U 3, Cardiff 4 compared to Blackpool 1, Southampton 1, Chalton 3,  (with the exception being Plymouth 6)So us taking points from every team that is lower placed than us is an improvement!

19 September should be the real guide to what we are likely to do this season. Beat Charlton and all doors are open, lose it and things could turn sour very quickly.

[quote user="shefcanary"]19 September should be the real guide to what we are likely to do this season. Beat Charlton and all doors are open, lose it and things could turn sour very quickly.[/quote]

This is why its a misconception.................

If we draw with a club who is likely to finish in the top 2, thats not a bad result........ why?

Because the vast majority of teams will lose to a side who finishes in the top 2.......... we gain on the whole league...........

Drawing against a team who is likley to finish bottom of the league is a poor result............... because obviously the rest of the league is more likley to take more than 1 point on average from that team.

People should not knock us beating poor teams, they should celebrate!

It should be obvious that a top six place is won by getting results vs the lesser teams NOT the Leeds and Charltons......... those are bonus results which will only add a few points here and there to our overall tally. (same for them against us)

The fact that people put so much importance on playing them is silly.......

Here is an example to prove my point.

In our champs promotion season (where we won the league pretty easilly.......)

The top 4 was

Norwich

WBA

Sunderland

West Ham

We won just 1 game from the six games vs those clubs 1W 3D 2L.................6 points from 6 games.......... relegation form.

Those who think it''s about beating the top 4 clubs are missing the whole point.