Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Exactly what do gain from LOANING Hoolahan out?

What''s to be gained from this. Surely the point of him going during the transfer window was to generate a transfer fee, by loaning him we neither get the money or the player?

before anyone says "wages" - I can''t believe his wages are that crippling - besides which I''d rather have the player.

Wages! I reckon there will be a transfer agreed, and the official line will be "on loan with a view to a permanent move". It''s a loophole that allows transfers to occur outside the window.

Could be one of those ''Try before you buy'' deals we''ve indulged in a couple of times in the past?

Or it could be that Hoolahan wants out?

I agree with you though, I''d like to see him used in some capacity. He really could have offered something different on Saturday, which could have turned the game in our favour.

He might have turned his man once, twice, three times, four times, five times... oh, and then lost the ball.

The sooner he''s off the better. I''m pleased that we''ve got a manager who knows what it takes to compete and win in this league.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]He might have turned his man once, twice, three times, four times, five times... oh, and then lost the ball.The sooner he''s off the better. I''m pleased that we''ve got a manager who knows what it takes to compete and win in this league.[/quote]Hmm, a bit like when Grayson built his team around Hoolahan at Blackpool, and got them promoted from League One you mean? Still, I saw easily enough on Saturday to convince me that we have the creativity required to beat the better teams in this division.Or not.

Well I''m bloody furious. We have potentially THE best player in league one here, and through a manager who''s not prepared to use him correctly we are prepared to just let him slip through our fingers for nothing in return. (nothing that is for FOUR months when we might get a fee for him). surely we should be using from now until then and review the situation again in January.

If his attitude is not right, or he WANTS to be elsewhere thats good enough erasons for him to be loaned out.  The training ground does not need a disruptive influence, same goes for Doc, if he wants away or does not want to play for Lambert loan him out

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Well I''m bloody furious. We have potentially THE best player in league one here, and through a manager who''s not prepared to use him correctly we are prepared to just let him slip through our fingers for nothing in return. (nothing that is for FOUR months when we might get a fee for him). surely we should be using from now until then and review the situation again in January.[/quote]

Who says this is Lambert''s decision? There is a strong chance he was TOLD Hooly had to be off-loaded to balance the books. Even Gunn was implying the same thing.

Remember, our financial situation is "dire". D I R E.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]He might have turned his man once, twice, three times, four times, five times... oh, and then lost the ball.

The sooner he''s off the better. I''m pleased that we''ve got a manager who knows what it takes to compete and win in this league.[/quote]

Whatever your opinion of Hooloahan is, you must surely agree that he is one of the best EIGHTEEN players at the club. Even if Lambert doesn''t want him in the first eleven, should we come up against a backs-to-the-wall defence like Walsall''s, Hoolahan offers something that could unlock this type of defence from the bench.

How many more points will we drop by not having the best available options in a matchday squad?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"]He might have turned his man once, twice, three times, four times, five times... oh, and then lost the ball.The sooner he''s off the better. I''m pleased that we''ve got a manager who knows what it takes to compete and win in this league.[/quote]

Whatever your opinion of Hooloahan is, you must surely agree that he is one of the best EIGHTEEN players at the club. Even if Lambert doesn''t want him in the first eleven, should we come up against a backs-to-the-wall defence like Walsall''s, Hoolahan offers something that could unlock this type of defence from the bench.

How many more points will we drop by not having the best available options in a matchday squad?

[/quote]But that''s his point surely. In League One we don''t need creative players who will take risks in order to unlock a defence - we simply need somebody who won''t give the ball away, and hoof it up to our massive strikeforce... [:|]I can only assume that Matt did not go to the match on Saturday, because a player like Hoolahan is precisely what we were missing.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"]He might have turned his man once, twice, three times, four times, five times... oh, and then lost the ball.

The sooner he''s off the better. I''m pleased that we''ve got a manager who knows what it takes to compete and win in this league.[/quote]

[/quote]

But that''s his point surely. In League One we don''t need creative players who will take risks in order to unlock a defence - we simply need somebody who won''t give the ball away, and hoof it up to our massive strikeforce... [:|]

I can only assume that Matt did not go to the match on Saturday, because a player like Hoolahan is precisely what we were missing.
[/quote]

I was there.

I''m all for creative players doing creative things in the attacking third, but Hoolahan comes too deep looking for the ball. He then screws up on the halfway line instead of playing a simple ball and bang, we''re suddenly 0-1 down against a very poor Walsall team. Don''t get me wrong, he''s a very skilfull footballer, but he just doesn''t have a footballing brain.

if lambert wants shot because of wes''s mistakes then he is a bad manager, surely he should see wes''s talent and coach the mistakes out of him?

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"]He might have turned his man once, twice, three times, four times, five times... oh, and then lost the ball.The sooner he''s off the better. I''m pleased that we''ve got a manager who knows what it takes to compete and win in this league.[/quote]

[/quote]But that''s his point surely. In League One we don''t need creative players who will take risks in order to unlock a defence - we simply need somebody who won''t give the ball away, and hoof it up to our massive strikeforce... [:|]I can only assume that Matt did not go to the match on Saturday, because a player like Hoolahan is precisely what we were missing.[/quote]I was there. I''m all for creative players doing creative things in the attacking third, but Hoolahan comes too deep looking for the ball. He then screws up on the halfway line instead of playing a simple ball and bang, we''re suddenly 0-1 down against a very poor Walsall team. Don''t get me wrong, he''s a very skilfull footballer, but he just doesn''t have a footballing brain.[/quote]I can''t agree with you there, but regardless of that, if we ship Hoolahan out and don''t get someone creative in, then we''ve got plenty more atrocious games to look forward to, and probably a mid-table finish as well.I would hope that Lambert has not been told to ship out Wes due to our financial constraints, as this would be a tad short-sighted, given that we will be in administration if we don''t get promotion this season.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Well I''m bloody furious. We have potentially THE best player in league one here, and through a manager who''s not prepared to use him correctly we are prepared to just let him slip through our fingers for nothing in return. (nothing that is for FOUR months when we might get a fee for him). surely we should be using from now until then and review the situation again in January.[/quote]

best player in the leauge don''t make me laugh, hollahan is crap let get rid of him and bring some new blood in that can actually play football

[quote user="barryevans"]

best player in the leauge don''t make me laugh, hollahan is crap let get rid of him and bring some new blood in that can actually play football

[/quote]

Saying That Hoolahan Is Crap Is A Bit Too Far, Becuase He Is NOT Crap......... And We Know He Can Play Good Football, Even If He Hasn''t Been Doing That Recently!! Keep Him I Say, Sending Him Out On Loan Would Not Be Wise In My Opinion.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

before anyone says "wages" - I can''t believe his wages are that crippling - besides which I''d rather have the player.

[/quote]

WAGES!

I rather suspect his wages are quite hefty - he came from a championship club on a free. Loaning him takes out those wages and gets us a fee. As i''ve said on the thread about portsmouth, our wage bill was over 70% of our turnover before we were relegated so god knows what it is now. We HAVE to get that figure down. Once the doc and hooly as well as Dejan are gone, i suspect Lambert''s next target will be Cureton. By then, all the big contracts will be gone and he''ll have room to manouver and to get another striker in.

I can''t argue the fact that Hoolahan is a talented player. I don''t think it''s fair to criticise Lambert, with out being aware of the ins and outs of the situation though.

Shortly after the Wycombe game I posted a thread about Hoolahan''s attitude when he came on as a sub, and if I was to guess, that''s where I reckon the problem lies. I think it''s sad that we can''t accommodate Wes'' style of play, but i''m with Lambert in his decision to play a more solid 4-4-2 with balance and shape. Loaning him out might be a case of offloading a disruptive member of the squad, but that''s mere speculation!

[quote user="Matt Juler"]I''m all for creative players doing creative things in the attacking third, but Hoolahan comes too deep looking for the ball. He then screws up on the halfway line instead of playing a simple ball and bang, we''re suddenly 0-1 down against a very poor Walsall team.[/quote]

But surely that''s because he''s being played in the wrong position? He needs to be receiving the ball 30-40 yards out from the opposition goal in between their defence and midfield. Then we might actually see what he''s capable of.

Having a good ''shape'' and being solid is all very good, and a vast improvement on the chaos of Gunny''s team, but it won''t take long for teams to work us out. Worthy''s teams always had a good shape, with a solid back four, Holt screening in fron of them and two workhorses (Svensson and McKenzie) up front, but they had that air of unpredictability with Hucks. We''ll be comfortably safe with the team that Lambert is putting out at the minute but we need more creativity if we''re going to push further up the table. For that very reason I''d give Hoolahan a run in a more advanced central position or, if Lambert is really being forced to offload him, get somebody in on loan who can play there.

Exactly Shack! Worthy new the value of keeping the shape and being solid. Earning the right to play our football amongst the many phrases he would use. He expected his teams to work hard but he always tried to include a player who was capable of doing something special to win the game.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"]I''m all for creative players doing creative things in the attacking third, but Hoolahan comes too deep looking for the ball. He then screws up on the halfway line instead of playing a simple ball and bang, we''re suddenly 0-1 down against a very poor Walsall team.[/quote]

But surely that''s because he''s being played in the wrong position? He needs to be receiving the ball 30-40 yards out from the opposition goal in between their defence and midfield. Then we might actually see what he''s capable of.

Having a good ''shape'' and being solid is all very good, and a vast improvement on the chaos of Gunny''s team, but it won''t take long for teams to work us out. Worthy''s teams always had a good shape, with a solid back four, Holt screening in fron of them and two workhorses (Svensson and McKenzie) up front, but they had that air of unpredictability with Hucks. We''ll be comfortably safe with the team that Lambert is putting out at the minute but we need more creativity if we''re going to push further up the table. For that very reason I''d give Hoolahan a run in a more advanced central position or, if Lambert is really being forced to offload him, get somebody in on loan who can play there.

[/quote]

I don''t agree with your "chaos of Gunny''s team" remark. Which game are you referring to ? Our 4-0 hammering away from home of Yeovil, our successful pre-season games or the one-off freak result against Colchester ? Must be the latter, I guess ! That having been said, I completely agree that Hoolahan needs to be in the team playing in advance position IMO instead of Cureton. It seems that Hoolahan either :-

a) does not fit in with Lamboot''s up and under "tactic"

b) has fallen out big time with Lamboot

or, more likely, Lamboot has been told by Chief Constable David McNally to offload Hoolahan and he will leave us on loan in the next few days.

I don''t understand it myself. McNally''s main comment about Lambert was that he was someone who could improve players on the training ground. Could Lambert not teach him to improve certain aspects of his game to make him a better "team player".My view is that Lambert has been told he must ship out players before he can bring in any new loans. To give himself the best chance of rebuilding the squad he has targetted the two highest wage earners in Doherty and Hoolahan.Weren''t we also told there would be an emphasis on signing players permanently and now we''re loaning out two contracted players to bring in more loan players who don''t give a stuff about this club.The sad fact is that the team that played on Saturday is nowhere near good enough to get us promoted. It may be able to grind out victories against the lesser teams but Charlton and Leeds will be well able to cope with our attacking threat, which from what I can see consists of Grant Holt and not alot else!

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

I don''t agree with your "chaos of Gunny''s team" remark. Which game are you referring to ? Our 4-0 hammering away from home of Yeovil, our successful pre-season games or the one-off freak result against Colchester ? Must be the latter, I guess ! That having been said, I completely agree that Hoolahan needs to be in the team playing in advance position IMO instead of Cureton. It seems that Hoolahan either :-

a) does not fit in with Lamboot''s up and under "tactic"

b) has fallen out big time with Lamboot

or, more likely, Lamboot has been told by Chief Constable David McNally to offload Hoolahan and he will leave us on loan in the next few days.

[/quote]Lamboot, very clever and extremely funny, even the third time.

If Hoolahan could only kick a ball with his right foot, he''d be a quality player! as he is he gets caught to much on the ball tryin to turn with his left, name me another player that is so one footed playing at a higher level?

No doubt about the fact he has talent this lad. He just needs to use it all in the right way. If he beats a man, don''t try and beat him again. I can''t use my left foot, he doesn''t use his right. All players have a favoured foot and I don''t think he should be ridiculed for it, you can use one foot pretty affectively I think. He has been played out of position ever since he arrived at CR, he should be in the centre of the pitch, he doesn''t have the pace for a winger. He has creativity, and would... no, will score more goals than Cureton and probably Cody in the hole behind Holt. Holt will get better service... simples!!!

[quote user="shortfatb"]
Lamboot, very clever and extremely funny, even the third time.
[/quote]

I bet he used to refer to Roeder as Roedent as well [:|]

Why is there this ''Hoolahan must play whetever'' thought. I cannot recall one game last season where he single handedly won us a game. 35 appereances and 2 goals?

Does that represent a match winner?

This guy came with a reputation of ''The new Hucks''. Can''t say I saw any of this. Inconsistent, dwells on the ball, plays out of position, lightweight, delays passes...........

We need width and players with pace who can cross the ball early to Holt to amke the best use of him, not  somebody who plays tippytoes in the centre circle..