Sign in to follow this  
hucks fizz

francis extends contract till 2008

[quote]francis extends contract till 2008!!! what fantastic news. cheered me up a bit after hearing malky is going.[/quote]

I''m sorry if this may upset you Hucks Fizz, but if you truely believe that a player being on a contract is security in keep that player, then you live in a very shelted and cosy little world. Just look at Malky!.

Yeah true but at least if Francis keeps playing the way he is and improving more, we can get some decent money for him should we have to sell...

thats very true mate.

but at least if he was to move he would be worth a bit more than malky eh!!

and considering staying in the premiership isn''t guaranteed it''s better than nothing.

scary,someone can read minds.

[quote]I''m sorry if this may upset you Hucks Fizz, but if you truely believe that a player being on a contract is security in keep that player, then you live in a very shelted and cosy little world. Just loo...[/quote]

Malky''s situation is completely different in my eyes as his contract was running out and he is 32 years old (33 in February).

Part of the reason why Malky is going is because he only had 10 months left on his contract and it doesn''t look as though we were keen to give him another, therefore we are off-loading him and getting a bit of money now. Even keeping him until January, sitting on the bench or worse throughout no doubt, would have further devalued any potential transfer fee.

A large reason behind the deal I believe is the fact that the club thinks a lot of Shackell (as do I) and really see him as developing into a top player for us over the next year (as shown by Worthy''s comments on the official site).

Malky would have wanted a 2-3 year deal at the end of this one and I doubt we would have agreed to that with Shack coming through, Doherty only being 24, and Flem and Charlton ahead of him in the pecking order.

It is sad to see Malky go without being given a chance in the Prem, but everyone just has to move on, and Malky''s joined a good club in West Ham, so hopefully both parties will benefit in the long run even if that just means Shack getting some Prem experience this season rather than Malky playing. I have to admit I would have wanted this anyway.

What Shack lacks in experience compared to Malky, Malky lacks (in all honestly badly) in pace and distribution so on balance I would sooner the younger player with lots of potential got the chance.

The fact that we have signed a new deal with Damo certainly doesn''t guarantee him staying here till 2008, but as has been said, even if he does move on some time then we will get a good price, just like with Greeno and Drury who signed new deals this summer. It''s still another great piece of business and shows how the club are using the Prem money for the future of our club and not just the present (eg compare the way Worthy, Dougie and Steve got new deals, to what is happening at West Brom).

I''m sorry if I''m being naive here but this has definitely got to be seen as very good news.  Damo is a quality player who is surely going to go from strength to strength.  It''s got to be good for the club that he has signed as it should benefit both, again whether that''s ultimately with us or not.  At a time when a lot of people feel very gloomy about the Malky situation it is a reminder that clearly there are players who are pretty happy with their lot here at the moment, for whatever reasons.    I see it as a welcome shot in the arm before Sunday.  Now go out there guys and "unleash hell!!!" 

great news,

Francis has been by far (i mean very very very very v.v.v.v.v..v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v. far) the best player in the norwich squad so far this season. Although Huckerby and Bently are not very far, it is obvious that francis is our shining light.

I agree with AJ....Today I have been watching the Man Uand Newcastle matches on tape and have to say that Francis stands out as being one of the best players we have. He is stong on the ball as well as pretty good positioning off it, and if it was direct competition between him and Holt for a place, Francis would always get in the starting line up.

If (a pessimistic if) Norwich go down, and players like Francis and Green perform consistently well, we won''t be seeing them at all come September 2005. It will probably mean they are worth a bit more if the player has more years left on his contract. In the end, it entirely depends on the ambitions of the player, whether he wants to stick to his club or further his career.....most will choose the latter every time. Malky is a prime example...we all love him, but he wants to get 1st team football every week, so he moves elsewhere (obviously agents have the influence as they can talk to any club to get things moving if the player''s club isn''t making any moves).