Sign in to follow this  
Snoots

Lambert - tactically inept.........

............ and questionable man management skills (where have I heard that mantra before ?). An incompetent 0-0 draw against Walsall at "Fortress" Carrow Road and hoof ball tactics with Jamie Cureton up front. The new manager syndrome is over and our next match is away at MK Dons on Sky. After that inept performance I can (unfortunately) only see mid-table obscurity and further decline beckoning. Biggest attendance in the Division yesterday. Next season, less than 10K fans will renew season tickets and attendances will be down to around 14k/15k.

7 points from nine and still finding a team from the massive new squad that the old manage assembled but never dealt with.You sir are a prat.[quote user="Bob Franklin"]............ and questionable man management skills (where have I heard that mantra before ?). An incompetent 0-0 draw against Walsall at "Fortress" Carrow Road and hoof ball tactics with Jamie Cureton up front. The new manager syndrome is over and our next match is away at MK Dons on Sky. After that inept performance I can (unfortunately) only see mid-table obscurity and further decline beckoning. Biggest attendance in the Division yesterday. Next season, less than 10K fans will renew season tickets and attendances will be down to around 14k/15k.[/quote]

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]............ and questionable man management skills (where have I heard that mantra before ?). An incompetent 0-0 draw against Walsall at "Fortress" Carrow Road and hoof ball tactics with Jamie Cureton up front. The new manager syndrome is over and our next match is away at MK Dons on Sky. After that inept performance I can (unfortunately) only see mid-table obscurity and further decline beckoning. Biggest attendance in the Division yesterday. Next season, less than 10K fans will renew season tickets and attendances will be down to around 14k/15k.[/quote]

And with only 40 League games left who could disagree with your ineffable logic......

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]............ and questionable man management skills (where have I heard that mantra before ?). An incompetent 0-0 draw against Walsall at "Fortress" Carrow Road and hoof ball tactics with Jamie Cureton up front. The new manager syndrome is over and our next match is away at MK Dons on Sky. After that inept performance I can (unfortunately) only see mid-table obscurity and further decline beckoning. Biggest attendance in the Division yesterday. Next season, less than 10K fans will renew season tickets and attendances will be down to around 14k/15k.[/quote]

And with only 40 League games left who could disagree with your ineffable logic......

[/quote]I believe the phrase is "We''re DOOMED! DOOMED I tell ya!" (Courtesty of Lapps) [;)](Plus, cheers for the info Beau! That was bugging me for ages!) [Y]

yeah totally agree bob! Should of won at least 20-0 against teams like Walsall. As for our defensive record since he''s been here.....what a joke! Three clean sheets, pathetic!

Bring back Hamilton I say, let the european master class of develd and de waard run riot once more!

Well lets all pack it in now shall we? we''re doomed (sorry Lapps) I can''t go on no more and where''s my gun, we''ll be relegated by October the 1st.

Jeez.

[quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

I believe the phrase is "We''re DOOMED! DOOMED I tell ya!" (Courtesty of Lapps) [;)]

(Plus, cheers for the info Beau! That was bugging me for ages!) [Y]
[/quote]

Yes, I was half expecting Lapp to pop up![:D]

Perhaps we should all subtitle our avatars. There are quite a few that are intriguing me at present![*-)]

Perhaps it shows that you don''t really understand what Lambert is trying to do.  Over the years I can remember plenty of "incompetent" displays while playing under our best managers.  I''m not over impressed with some of the football or some of the team selections but to be honest, at the moment, it''s about grinding out results rather than style of play.  A little more of this last season would have kept us up!

[quote user="lappinitup"]

Sorry I''m late..........

We''re doomed I tell ye, doomed, DOOMED! [:''(] [:''(][:''(]

[/quote]

Blimey late on parade with the we''re doomed, pahhhhhhh whatever next lol [:)]

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]............ and questionable man management skills (where have I heard that mantra before ?). An incompetent 0-0 draw against Walsall at "Fortress" Carrow Road and hoof ball tactics with Jamie Cureton up front. The new manager syndrome is over and our next match is away at MK Dons on Sky. After that inept performance I can (unfortunately) only see mid-table obscurity and further decline beckoning. Biggest attendance in the Division yesterday. Next season, less than 10K fans will renew season tickets and attendances will be down to around 14k/15k.[/quote]This is an example of the majority of norwich fans, always complaining about something! Jesus... okay we shouldn''t have drawn 0-0 but now you honestly think its all tits up?

give us a laugh then.. which manager isn''t tactically inept and will willingly Join Norwich?

jas :)

Well without all the insulting (ohh forgot that''s what happens on here) there is some logic to the opening post in that Walsall on paper (ahh that''s the tricky bit) was an easy game.

However they successfully did the old poorer team frustration technique and that is where Lambert fell short.

Once they had tied us up and at 30 minutes lets face it we knew we were tied up, we waited till what was it 65 minutes to change the players or the system.  Now to give the OP some credit, maybe Lambert and Culverhouse should have had a plan B ready to go at half time.

The tricky bit is what would that have been?

Daley as a faster winger was good (on paper again) as was a faster forward and a driving midfielder, but they didn''t work.  Now had we scored at 89 minutes through Cody we would have said Lambert was a tactical genius ........... funny old game football.

[quote user="barryevans"]

why because of 1 draw

get a life and stop moaning for the sake of it.

[/quote]

Get real and work out that if we play long ball crap every week we will not win anything.  Walsall had one of the biggest centre halfs I have ever seen and we kick the ball down his throat for 90 minutes. You Mr Lambert are a tactical genius!!

[quote user="Lineo"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]............ and questionable man management skills (where have I heard that mantra before ?). An incompetent 0-0 draw against Walsall at "Fortress" Carrow Road and hoof ball tactics with Jamie Cureton up front. The new manager syndrome is over and our next match is away at MK Dons on Sky. After that inept performance I can (unfortunately) only see mid-table obscurity and further decline beckoning. Biggest attendance in the Division yesterday. Next season, less than 10K fans will renew season tickets and attendances will be down to around 14k/15k.[/quote]This is an example of the majority of norwich fans, always complaining about something! Jesus... okay we shouldn''t have drawn 0-0 but now you honestly think its all tits up?[/quote]Yup. People say that Norwich is a nice club . . . . . . . I think that a lot of the moaners have become to used to moaning. I am not suggesting this of the OP but there are defenitely some who have to moan and will find something to moan about even if we win.Walsall had a game plan and they stuck to it. They had two chances to score and they werent both easy chances. They completed their game plan and we came up short - not on ideas mind, I think one or two pacey players would have done it. Cody on earlier or possibly from the start. I am pretty sure that we could have put decent balls through for him to get on the end of.Its a shame because if we had scored a goal Walsall would have had to start actually trying to play more and we would have been able to play more. At the moment we seem to play well when the opposition play more open. Yesterday Walsall set out their stall early and kept a high line condensing midfield making it difficult for us to build up good passing moves which is how we have scored before. The problem comes when the space isn''t given to us to create and with no pace going forward as an option it makes things a bit harder. And thats all it comes down to for me, put in Cody or Whaley and that pace will help us against teams like Walsall who''s only method is to tighten up everywhere. In some ways that is a mark of respect - they came to play us hoping for a draw or to ''nick'' a win with the one or two chances they create.And in all fairness if Lappin had been on form I think things would have been a bit different. I put this down mainly to having played so many games in quick succession.

[quote user="ref89"]7 points from nine and still finding a team from the massive new squad that the old manage assembled but never dealt with.

You sir are a prat.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]............ and questionable man management skills (where have I heard that mantra before ?). An incompetent 0-0 draw against Walsall at "Fortress" Carrow Road and hoof ball tactics with Jamie Cureton up front. The new manager syndrome is over and our next match is away at MK Dons on Sky. After that inept performance I can (unfortunately) only see mid-table obscurity and further decline beckoning. Biggest attendance in the Division yesterday. Next season, less than 10K fans will renew season tickets and attendances will be down to around 14k/15k.[/quote][/quote]

What Bob is saying is right. The long ball garbage we played today will get us nowhere. It didn''t work and Lambert had no idea on how to change it. To me that is tactically inept. Also left out the best player in the whole squad (Hoolahan). Genius.

Lets just ignore the fact that we aren''t conceeding goals like a seive now, I suppose we can put this down to Gunn''s signings can we? For someone who keeps banging on about Gunn being sacked after 1 match as unfair, this post is a bit rich don''t you think?Lets be honest you are always going to see the bad in Lambert and every draw/defeat this season I suspect you are going to come out with some anti Lambert tripe.

In the game I saw, Walsall played some good passing football when they had the ball, and pressed us in midfield when they lost possession, which meant that the back four felt they had to hoof it upfield and bypass midfield. It''s possible that Lambert had told them to do that, though why anyone would do that is beyond me because all those balls were just passes to a Walsall player: if your defender isn''t capable of making long-distance passes, that''s what happens. Playing Cureton alongside Holt does make you wonder though - hit-and-hope to Holt, knock-downs to Cureton. Whatever, it didn''t work because Holt was marked out of the game, the balls were usually misdirected, and Cureton was never in the right place.If that''s Lambert''s tactic to get out of this Division, it won''t work. And if we drop down to Division 4, it won''t work there either. Long passes from defence to striker can work, but hit-and-hope never will.

Personally, I think Lambert is far from tactically inept.  You are just focussing on the wrong tactics. 

When he saw us against Colchester, he saw a team with no shape discipline and confidence.  We were a joke.  Lambert has dealt with that by giving a solid shape.  Every time Walsall attacked they had two ranks of 4.  For example, if their winger got past Lappin, he faced Drury and if he got past him Lappin was there again.  Every time the ball came to an attacker on the edge of the area there was someone blocking the shot.  The midfield challenged and blocked throughout.  Nelso rode his luck but often someone was there to tidy up

Now, I agree it was a poor game and I agree that we did not change things when we tried to get the win.  Even then, he changed it with 30 mins to go not the 5 mins that seems to have been Gunn''s allotment

BUT - we got a goalless draw.  Under last year''s regimes we would have collapsed our shape and lost 0-2.  The midfield stayed solid.  That is a huge tactical improvement on where we were last season.

In my view, credit Lambert for that, don''t criticise him

Lambert has not turned us into Real Madrid but he has made us hard to beat and that is the first step.  I look forward to his achieving the next steps soon

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]............ and questionable man management skills (where have I heard that mantra before ?). An incompetent 0-0 draw against Walsall at "Fortress" Carrow Road and hoof ball tactics with Jamie Cureton up front. The new manager syndrome is over and our next match is away at MK Dons on Sky. After that inept performance I can (unfortunately) only see mid-table obscurity and further decline beckoning. Biggest attendance in the Division yesterday. Next season, less than 10K fans will renew season tickets and attendances will be down to around 14k/15k.[/quote]It''s like that Alex Ferguson character, losing 1-0 to Burnley, most tactically inept manager in Britain IMO.

It''s disappointing only drawing 0-0 with Walsall but who the hell are we thinking that we are suddenly going to walk all over people in this division?  Let''s remember, we''ve got a few decent players but a lot of average or less than average ones playing at the moment.  We started the season as a complete shambles and this bloke has come in and is clearly sorting things out.  We''ve got a nice ground and big crowds but that doesn''t give us a good team.  Perhaps what Walsall showed us is that we''re actually not that good yet! 

To be tactically smart you need to have players that are flexible and adept at playing in different ways.  At the start of the season we didn''t seem to be able to play effectively in any way.  Do I like the quality of play at the moment? No.  Do I think we''ve got enough quality players to challenge the upper reaches of this division? No.  Having said that, I''ve already seen enough to suggest that we''ve at last got a manager who knows what he''s doing and is addressing the key weaknesses and is probably just a little bit smarter than the average poster on here, including me!

Yer bring back Gunny, we could be 12 points adrift by now, Wake up Bob your haveing a laugh mate

I regard Lambert as a good manager - he sorted our defence out (possibly the worst in three decades), gave the team a "shape" (as he is fond of saying) and by and large has brought in some decent players.

Where I have serious reservations is in his man management ability, something that concerned me personally (and some other fans) fairly soon after he arrived.  It''s fine to have tough discipline and all that but I think on several occasions it has left players frightened of taking a risk - one of the reasons I think we were so poor at home last year.  His treatment of specific players after they had crossed his path in one way or another I found appalling and still do.  If he works the same way your end there will be a number of "disappeared."

He''s a manager that one can easily respect for the qualities I have mentioned but, rather like Roeder, he''s not particularly "likeable" although if he takes you on a good run no one will bother about that.

From what I''ve read the game seemed a typical PL approach - if you can''t win it then don''t lose it.  He ground out lots of 1-0 wins with us and did much the same at Wycombe.  It isn''t always pretty.  It looks to me as if Walsall came on exactly the same basis so perhaps 0-0 after 90 minutes of riveting head tennis is not surprising.

The result is not always everything though. I remember less than 4 years ago fans arguing in the Barclay because they were unhappy with our style of play. We''d just won six consecutive home games scoring 14 goals and watching footballers like Huckerby, Safri, Etuhu and Earnshaw. But many fans wanted the manager sacked. They said it''s all very well winning games but they wanted to see better football. I wonder what those fans would have to say about yesterdays game.

I think LOL is the only thing I can manage Nutty Nigel.

You are a bit of a [6] really aren''t you?

The old boy''s current XI did rather well I thought.  [;)]

What a PRAT you are Bob.

Lambert will have us finish a lot higher up the league table than Gunny ever would.  Had it been left iu Gunny''s hands then we were in danger of yet another relegation dogfight.

We are however already falling a considerable way behind the top two (Leeds and Charlton) who have 100% records.  We can''t afford to be falling any further behind those two and if we do then it will not be any manager that is to blame, but the clowns that backed Gunny in the summer only to pull the plug after a couple of games (one league game).  I notice that the 3 clowns (Smith, Wynn-Jones and Foulger) have not compensated for their error in the summer and given the new manager any money to make his own signings yet.

We now have fools singing the praises of Gunn... what about the failures he brought to the club this summer... Maric, Tudor Jones, Gill and Co???  Maybe Lambert could of already had a SQUAD in place that would of won us promotion given that time???

[quote user="The Chief"]

[quote user="ref89"]7 points from nine and still finding a team from the massive new squad that the old manage assembled but never dealt with.

You sir are a prat.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]............ and questionable man management skills (where have I heard that mantra before ?). An incompetent 0-0 draw against Walsall at "Fortress" Carrow Road and hoof ball tactics with Jamie Cureton up front. The new manager syndrome is over and our next match is away at MK Dons on Sky. After that inept performance I can (unfortunately) only see mid-table obscurity and further decline beckoning. Biggest attendance in the Division yesterday. Next season, less than 10K fans will renew season tickets and attendances will be down to around 14k/15k.[/quote][/quote]

What Bob is saying is right. The long ball garbage we played today will get us nowhere. It didn''t work and Lambert had no idea on how to change it. To me that is tactically inept. Also left out the best player in the whole squad (Hoolahan). Genius.

[/quote]

The quality of Hoolahan ahh yes... remind us how many goals he created and scored in the Championship with us last season and how many assists and goals he got in 3 games under the inept leadership of Gunn and Butterworth in 3 matches at this level earlier this season?  Not really difficult to see why Lambert doesn''t rate a little imp who can only use one foot and runs around in circles before gifting the opposition with possesion 90% of the times he receives it is it? [:$]