Sign in to follow this  
DDD In The Fine City

Rip the seating out of the Barclay

One of the things i have noticed since being down in league 1 has been how good the atmosphere is in the standing areas of the grounds compared to the amount of fans there, i think we should remove the seating from the Barclay and put it into storage ready for when we go back up.

Could this also increase the capacity of Carrow road?

it would certainly improve the atmosphere and give those jobsworth stewards something better to do

thoughts?

What a great idea. To the best of my knowledge there is no requirement for all seated stadiums in this league. The club can not say the lower tier is unsuitable for standing as the lower river end was originally standing.

I have been to Yeovil and Brentord on the terracing and have to say i enjoy it far more than seating. Also the most vocal points of the grounds of those clubs were the terracing. Unfortunately at both these grounds they are behind a goal, with the away fans being behind the other goal which doesnt help with the banter. but that would not be a problem at carrow rd with the away fans just to the side

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Hmmmm and for those who have ST''s in the Barclay who could not physically stand for 90 minutes?[/quote]

Move them to better seating

[/quote]

lol so let me get this right, because you, I and others might want to stand, those who have had those seats for years should move?  How about you move to a part of the ground where you can stand without troubling those who don''t want to stand?  Such as back of the Barclay for an example.

Or get ST seats towards the rears of the stands where standing would trouble no one.

Personally i''m all for standing and the old style terracing, but not everyone shares the same views anymore.

Rip the seats out and when we get promoted they have to go back in anyhow, more expense for a club that hasn''t got two brass farthings to rub together.

[quote user="jbghost"]What a great idea. To the best of my knowledge there is no requirement for all seated stadiums in this league. The club can not say the lower tier is unsuitable for standing as the lower river end was originally standing.[/quote]

The current Barcaly never was standing though, its was built in its current seated form. Whilist I''m not cliaming to be an expert I would imagine the steps would not be suitable for standing safely if the seats were taken out. Your argument might be valid for the Riverend though. However, I''ve got no idea if they had to do anymore than just bolt seats on to the old terrace or if it was a more complicated upgrade.

Would be very good for atmosphere though I do agree.

I''m sure its been mentioned on here before, but there are clubs in Germany that have designed their stadiums so in some parts of the ground there are terraces for league games which then convert to all seater for European games. I think this involved quite a sophisticated design when they were built. Not just a grounds man and a spanner!

As far as I know you''re right, BG.There would be crush barriers and such to put up and the way the stand was constructed (for seating) doesn''t immediately lend itself to that without, as WAY says, a large expense.Having visited a few of the stadia you mention in Germany they do work because that''s how they were designed. But hey, you can also drink in view of the pitch out there - saving the situation where a few complete p*heads will try to down 2 pints in 15 minutes!

I think another poster said in a different thread that there is a rule that all seaters must stya all seaters even if you are relegated to a divison where it is not required if that makes sense?

Ever since the Barclay become seating the atmosphere is no where near as good as the terracing days. I hate sitting down watching football. The good old days when we scored will sadly never been seen again at Carrow Road. The skirmishing towards the fence being in the Centre pen was absolutely superb.

Oh when the Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeens, go marching innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn............................................

Of course, it makes economic sense to convert a stand from seating whe the whole club is committed to promotion at which point the seating must be reinstalled.

Have you thought this through?

[quote user="LQ"]As far as I know you''re right, BG.There would be crush barriers and such to put up and the way the stand was constructed (for seating) doesn''t immediately lend itself to that without, as WAY says, a large expense.Having visited a few of the stadia you mention in Germany they do work because that''s how they were designed. But hey, you can also drink in view of the pitch out there - saving the situation where a few complete p*heads will try to down 2 pints in 15 minutes!

[/quote]Only 2 pints in 15 minutes??? [:O]The big jessies! [;)]

I have been standing and sitting in the Barclay for years. I have a ST in the lower barclay and I enjoy the atmosphere and I join in, AND I want to keep my seat Thank you