Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

For those using Nortons firewall

Courtesy of 1st Wizard:If you have Nortons, you will have in your upper task bar, a nortons web assistant icon, click once, and uncheck ad blocking for this site only (you must have the pinkun page showing whilst doing this) as soon as I did this, everything suddenly worked!.

Tis merely the cover of the finest album ever to be made by a British band...Don''t think I''ll rival you for the largest signature though...

[quote]Tis merely the cover of the finest album ever to be made by a British band...Don''t think I''ll rival you for the largest signature though...[/quote]

who are they then pete?

-

Queen?

ive got loads of albums but i sware ive never seen that

That''s better. You are a man with great taste in music.And for a bonus point - the film from which my quote originates?

Get rid of Norton - its worse than most of the viruses its supposed to protect you against.

I''ve seen more problems on PCs attributed to that sorry excuse for software than any other.

Get AVG free antivirus and either Zonealarm or Kerio free firewall.

Norton=Evil

[quote]Get rid of Norton - its worse than most of the viruses its supposed to protect you against. I''ve seen more problems on PCs attributed to that sorry excuse for software than any other. Get AVG free a...[/quote]

Ive got norton!

im getting a new network virus scannerprotector or whatever, lots of people call it different things! Anyway, i got 4 pcs (at the moment, theres going to be more.....) on a network, so rather than getting different ones for each pc im goign to get a network one.

[quote]I have to win it[/quote]

aarrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhh!

[quote]Get rid of Norton - its worse than most of the viruses its supposed to protect you against. I''ve seen more problems on PCs attributed to that sorry excuse for software than any other. Get AVG free a...[/quote]

I have to totaly disagree with Herb over the merits of Nortons.

I have their Anti Virus and Firewall installed on my PC, and I subscribe to their live automatic update facility. Its true that it can marginally slow down downloading, but for the number of Trojan Horses, worms and virus''s its detected and blocked, its been well worth it, and the financial layout. Sorry.

Your mileage may vary. I must admit that I''ve not had anything to do with Norton utilities for about a couple of years now, so things may have improved. They couldn''t have got much worse!

Admittedly, my biggest gripe with it was the huge system overheads (the bain of gamers everywhere) and again that is probably less of a problem now most of us are running something approaching a super-computer.

Saying its worth the outlay because its blocked this and that is like justifying paying for air in bottles "cos you need it to breathe" - there are 100% free non-adware non-spyware alternatives which do the job at least as well. Free is my favourite price, if you hadn''t guessed

Likewise, the best defence against trojans/worms and other nasties is a bit of common sense. 99.9% of them come from email attachments or dubious websites (warez sites being one of the biggest culprits)

[quote]Your mileage may vary. I must admit that I''ve not had anything to do with Norton utilities for about a couple of years now, so things may have improved. They couldn''t have got much worse! Admitte...[/quote]

In reply to your very well written and concise criticism of Nortons, its very obvious that you know a great deal more about computers than me.

I''m a total ''virgin'' when it comes to them I''m afraid. So its comforting from my point of view, when opening a dubious e''mail, or visiting a ''naff'' web site etc, Nortons pops up and warns me to exercise extreme caution.

I don''t play games, so I have not noticed many problems.

I must admit, I bought Nortons as an aid for my ignorance. It was recommended to me by other Nortons users, And for the job it does for me, I am more than satisfied.

I don''t doubt you know better alternatives and options, and had I, your knowledge and experience, I may have gone down your route and philosophy.

But I like Nortons, and I would not hesitate to recomend it to others, sorry.