Sign in to follow this  
Vintage65

Spillane Sending Off

Watched this game on Sky, as it wasn''t easy to go, but there was a foul on Whaley inside their box, which was more or less exactly the same as Spillanes. The player was slightly behind Whaley and pushed in to his ribs under his arm to knock him over.

No penalty given.

Spillanes foul was pretty much the same, and I think becuase of the collision he was sent off.

Very little difference between these two incidents though imo.

Questionable about whether or not it was a foul, but once the referee had decided it was a foul he had no choice but to send off Spillane. Harsh but just something we have to live with, hardly cost us the game fortunately.

I thought it was a tad harsh and another ref may not have given the foul but thats the way things go sometimes.

[quote user="shefcanary"]will probably cost us the next tho'' - Doc''ll have to play![/quote]Askou, Dumic, Nelson.hell, put Cody there he can play everywhere else it seems !!!

Sorry but from the replays on Sky - never mind what the stupid useless commentators say - made it look more like a harsh judgement to me.Their player plays the ball out infront of him and Spillane but more infront of Spillane and he knows he is going to have to go shoulder to shoulder to beat him, however he missjudges or is simply faster but when he gets to the point where he expects to make contact it doesnt quite happen which leaves him all out of shape and unbalanced. To me it looks like he is already going down before Spillane makes contact. Its one of those where two players are sprinting for the ball and unless one yields there will be a clash, their player had to get infront of Spillane or force him away from the ball but the problem with these is the other guy is at full pelt to.I think its one of those boarderline ones where 9 out of 10 times the defender gets the benefit of the doubt.As for the last man rule - I would exept that in an incident where it was a clear goalscoring oppertunity. If Spillane had synically cut him down from behind then fine, if Spillane had held him off Doherty style then fine, but it looked more like two players coming together rather aukwardly and Spillane is as entitled to go for it as the other guy. I think the ref should have taken everything into account and possibly even taken more notice of the head injury before deciding on the colour of the card. At the end of the day their 4th goal had ended the contest and Spillane''s sending off reduced us to 9 men with the injury to Alnwick. Whilst you want refs to punish bad and wreckless challenges etc I would also hope that they put in a sense of perspective on it too - it wasnt a wreckless challenge it wasnt deliberate and they still had an oppertunity to score which Alnwick bravely saved.

It was a foul, would have been a yellow in any other part of the pitch but unfortunately it happened to deny a "goal scoring opportunity", the ref has little choice.

After watching the replay - Campbell does seem to go down very easily. A bit unlucky, although as the last man its always gonna be a tough stance.

[quote user="Mushroom"]It was a foul, would have been a yellow in any other part of the pitch but unfortunately it happened to deny a "goal scoring opportunity", the ref has little choice.[/quote]I''m sorry but if thats a yellow anywhere else on the pitch there should have been plenty of them shown tonight for fouls on Hoolahan, not to mention the rugby tackle from Reid which only got a yellow.As I have said - it wasnt even really a challenge.

If the ref saw it as a foul it had to be red.After the replay I thought it was very harsh but as it happened my reaction was that it was a foul and a red card too.

Whaley may appear to have been out muscled, but when we saw it on Sky he was slightly infront of his man, which made it look more like he was pushed over from behind.  The Spillane incident is prettr much the same, just a different area of the pitch.

What''s wrong with some of you lot?  It was a clear and deliberate shove in the back.  Look at the replays.  The Sunderland player was past him.  Deliberate foul (which it was) + last man = red card.  Be honest - reverse the teams and would you be happy if a red wasn''t shown?  The Reid tackle could never be anything other than a yellow.  I thought the ref had a good game.  Let things go both ways and gave a bit of leeway in the box both ways. 

Not meaning to sound patronising but i should know <---- 

Unfortunatly guys this was a clear cut red, Spillane definitely fouled his man and he stopped an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

unfortunately campbell went down thanks to the sniper in the crowd, i.e rather softly!! but then he did that every time a defender breathed on him. was noticeable how easy it was for sunderland to get free kicks as opposed to us.

One rule for us and one rule for the prem team as far as i am concerned Spillane foul was no different to the treatment that Daley was getting for the whole game off Sunderlands Centre half, Ref was biased!!!

No matter what any of us say, it in my opinion, could be in the category of "reckless" as he caused a prety nasty collision between Campbell and Alnwick... He should have trusted his keeper to come out (as he was doing anyway) but instead, just needlessly nudged Campbell off balance and straight into Alnwick! Stupid defending! AND I DO LIKE SPILLANE! So its not a dig at him!

[quote user="chicken"]Sorry but from the replays on Sky - never mind what the stupid useless commentators say - made it look more like a harsh judgement to me.

Their player plays the ball out infront of him and Spillane but more infront of Spillane and he knows he is going to have to go shoulder to shoulder to beat him, however he missjudges or is simply faster but when he gets to the point where he expects to make contact it doesnt quite happen which leaves him all out of shape and unbalanced. To me it looks like he is already going down before Spillane makes contact. Its one of those where two players are sprinting for the ball and unless one yields there will be a clash, their player had to get infront of Spillane or force him away from the ball but the problem with these is the other guy is at full pelt to.

I think its one of those boarderline ones where 9 out of 10 times the defender gets the benefit of the doubt.

As for the last man rule - I would exept that in an incident where it was a clear goalscoring oppertunity. If Spillane had synically cut him down from behind then fine, if Spillane had held him off Doherty style then fine, but it looked more like two players coming together rather aukwardly and Spillane is as entitled to go for it as the other guy. I think the ref should have taken everything into account and possibly even taken more notice of the head injury before deciding on the colour of the card. At the end of the day their 4th goal had ended the contest and Spillane''s sending off reduced us to 9 men with the injury to Alnwick. Whilst you want refs to punish bad and wreckless challenges etc I would also hope that they put in a sense of perspective on it too - it wasnt a wreckless challenge it wasnt deliberate and they still had an oppertunity to score which Alnwick bravely saved.
[/quote]

It''s good to see you''ve taken the time to construct a well thought out arguement for the defence, but I''m afraid it was a very clear cut professional foul.  It was a deliberate push from Spillane as he knew his man had beaten him.  Last man, no choice, had to go.  The thing that most annoys me is the sheer stupidity of his actions!! He must have known the consequences and to take out our keeper into the bargain!! I suppose that''s what you get from a youngster sometimes but he has now forced Lambert into 2 changes on Saturday that he probably would not have made.  Let''s just hope he learns from it.

Looked like a straight red to me last night from my seat, looked like Spillane shoved Campbell in the back as he was through on goal.

Nailed on straight red, and could have resulted in serious injuries to both Campbell and Alnwick. I wonder what those leaping to Spillane''s defence would have said had the incident have been at the other end.......I don''t think many of you would have been saying "no, I think Da Silva should have only got a yellow for denying us a goal and putting Grant Holt in hospital"!

[quote user="ron obvious"]

How many matches will he be banned for? From when?

[/quote]

One game - this Saturday.

[quote user="chocolate nutter"]

One rule for us and one rule for the prem team as far as i am concerned Spillane foul was no different to the treatment that Daley was getting for the whole game off Sunderlands Centre half, Ref was biased!!!

[/quote]

Spillane''s was a deliberate shove in the back.  Daley on the other hand was just getting out-muscled.  If you''re going to give those every time you''d end up finishing 10-10.  I thought the ref was OK.  Tried to keep the game flowing and applied a bit of common sense.