Sign in to follow this  
cockers85

What we really payed for Holt

I know people are always posting stuff saying ''my uncles brothers mate knows the chairman....bla bla bla'', but I have a very close mate from university who currently works at Shrewsbury Town and is friends with some of the board members. For the sake of his job there I''m not gonna explain his position at the Shrews anymore than that.

I belive we were told the undisclosed figure was around £400,000 for Holt. But my friend ensures me it was infact £680,000 plus a signing on fee of £200,000. I think thats a staggering amount, £860,000 total for him when we keep hearing how we have no money.

I like the player, think he will score and does alot of physical work, but 16 of his goals last year were penalties (in all comps) and 860k is alot...Just wondred what everyone thinks of this   

[quote user="cockers85"]

I know people are always posting stuff saying ''my uncles brothers mate knows the chairman....bla bla bla'', but I have a very close mate from university who currently works at Shrewsbury Town and is friends with some of the board members. For the sake of his job there I''m not gonna explain his position at the Shrews anymore than that.

I belive we were told the undisclosed figure was around £400,000 for Holt. But my friend ensures me it was infact £680,000 plus a signing on fee of £200,000. I think thats a staggering amount, £860,000 total for him when we keep hearing how we have no money.

I like the player, think he will score and does alot of physical work, but 16 of his goals last year were penalties (in all comps) and 860k is alot...Just wondred what everyone thinks of this   

[/quote]He''s a hard working target man, and if he can get up to the levels of fitness required could probably do a job in the Championship, in the Geoff Horsfield mould I''d imagine.  When you consider the kind of fees that Championship target men go for, I''d say that was cheap.

I think Holt has already shown what he can do and I think £860,000 for a player of his standard could be money well spent....

[quote user="cockers85"]

[/quote]looking at his performances so far I would have paid more if I had to. The guy is exactly what we need..You know, people who are directors can often exaggerate or spin (we well know that) - perhaps he was embarrassed that we got him so cheap and doesn''t want to admit it.

Having now seen him score a great hat-trick against Yeovil and other excellent performances and a fantastic work-ethic, we should think ourselves lucky that we have him. Well worth the money IMO !! 

[quote user="Henry"]To be honest ... anything under a million is a bargain for this guy.[/quote]He''s a decent player but surely that''s stretching it a bit?

He gave the Sunderland defence a very hard time last night and looks to me to be getting better every game. Don''t  care what we paid for him really, he is just what we need.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="Henry"]To be honest ... anything under a million is a bargain for this guy.
[/quote]
He''s a decent player but surely that''s stretching it a bit?
[/quote]

why?.   if he carries on scoring at this rate he will be the bargain of the season.

I cant help but giggle when I harp back to the Colchester fans chanting "What a waste of money" about Holt.Hes already proven that completely wrong.Got a feeling Holt is going to become a real status symbol, and to even quote rodent "A new hero" for the club.Fans love him already, gaffer obviously rates him and it looks like hes got the captains  arm band.

[quote user="cockers85"]

[/quote]

This is what i dont understand about some people on here. we get in frees or very cheap players and people moan that that means the player is not very good, we then spend a bit more and they moan that we are spending too much.880k for a player like holt seems to be a very good price for us. 5 goals in 5 shows what he can do...

[quote user="cockers85"]

[/quote]Even at that figure I would still think it''s a good deal for a player of his potential, aside from the fact that I think the post is complete bullsh1t............

[quote user="cockers85"]

[/quote]If it''s true (and that''s a big if!) I would bet that some of the fee is dependent on league goals/promotion.Could you think of a better bet at this level for less cash? Cos I''m struggling.

Agree with all the positive posts as Holt has hit the ground running big time.  BUT, just pause and remember who signed him and then ease up on all the Gunn vitriol.  Not a complete idiot in the job despite his many failings.

He''s a bargain at £880K not that we would have paid that much for him - the figure is rubbish. We''ll get £1.5mil in January when we sell him!

Fair play, cheers everyone who replied,  nice to see some positive responses for a change....sorry about the maths yeah its £880k....obviously.

Apart from his work ethic, goal scoring, potential for leadership, he is also the only player worth listening to in interviews. (or perhaps he is interesting because of all those things). Either way his presence in our team this season is priceless.

[quote user="refjezhitchin"]I think Holt has already shown what he can do and I think £860,000 for a player of his standard could be money well spent....[/quote]

Absolutely.

[quote user="cockers85"]

[/quote] I think at a time when very average players go for millions he looks a very good buy for that sort of money.

What i don''t understand is how a member of staff at Shrewsbury knows the signing on fee we paid Holt, surely that''s between Holt and us rather than us and Shrewsbury??

"BARGAIN"