Sign in to follow this  
Paul Carter

Back Four

Why is everyone knocking Semmy and the Doc. I thought they were both OK last night and that the issue was Spillane, not in my opinion a good centre half doesnt read the game well and has not got enough pace, hence the sending off (caught out of position and too slow to react), his lack of experience was exploited by the Sunderland frontline time and time again, he got pulled out of position too many times leaving Semmy and the Doc to cover for him. Overall I thought last night was a good performance and was a further improvement on the weekend, when lets be honest Wycombe were a poor side, we need to tighten up in defence yes and I think Lambert needs to sit down and talk to Stevanovic as him and the Doc in the centre of the back four would be great with Semmy and Drury either side. If we continue to show the same commitment in the coming weeks then we start to move in the right direction as a football club and the good times will return

I''m glad you don''t manage the team.Doc and Dejan at the back?    Are there no quick strikers in League 1 then?   I hope not.Askou has showed he is the 1st choice centre back (hence he was rested last night) and will play with either Nelson or Spillane.  Lambert will put Doherty to the slaughter.

[quote user="Paul Carter"]

Why is everyone knocking Semmy and the Doc. I thought they were both OK last night and that the issue was Spillane, not in my opinion a good centre half doesnt read the game well and has not got enough pace, hence the sending off (caught out of position and too slow to react), his lack of experience was exploited by the Sunderland frontline time and time again, he got pulled out of position too many times leaving Semmy and the Doc to cover for him. Overall I thought last night was a good performance and was a further improvement on the weekend, when lets be honest Wycombe were a poor side, we need to tighten up in defence yes and I think Lambert needs to sit down and talk to Stevanovic as him and the Doc in the centre of the back four would be great with Semmy and Drury either side. If we continue to show the same commitment in the coming weeks then we start to move in the right direction as a football club and the good times will return

[/quote]

I do despair when the crowd cheer Doc for making a last ditch lunging tackle on a forward who he has just turned him inside out thirty yards further up the pitch. It happened twice last night, and as we know there was also the first goal, when he didn''t make it back to get the tackle in!!!!

I think any defender who has played in our back for over the last 3-4 seasons should be dropped. Defence has always been weak. We showed last season that we could score just as many goals as birmingham - its at the other end where all our problems lie and I hope Lambert will be the manager to finally overhaul our slow clumsy defence

the Sky camera''s showed Doherty''s frailties to a tee.

when Campbell was running on goal, Doherty was all over his shirt, then when Campbell fell over, Doherty kicked him on the floor.

What a douchebag

Spot on Refjez - if there was a clear cut penalty last night it was that incident, lord only knows how the ref and linesman didnt spot it and they would have been doing us a favour in sending Doherty off too.For me he didnt even appear to be match fit or focused last night, he was caught ball watching and flat footed a couple of times and almost seemed dissinterested. He was too easily beaten by Jones and then as I mentioned in my rant effectively caused the last goal too by moving to early and concentrating so much on wrestling Campbel out from underneath the cross that he forgot his job to head it clear only to glance it towards our own goal.I dont see how people can complain about Spillane I thought he did very well considering the oppersition we were playing against. At times he seemed to lack confidence in Doherty''s ability and I think stood to close to him. However I think this has more to do with Doherty lacking in pace and any striker that put the ball past him was going to run on to it first and Spillane was simply looking to stop that.I think Spillane and Askou are a partnership that are worth working on. I think they made a couple of misstakes on Saturday but not as many as Doherty made by himself last night, albeit against a superior opposition.I also thought Semi did ok last night, yes he was caught out of position a couple of times but from what I can remember it tended to be when he had made an overlaping run and Whaley didnt use him or cover him or when Lappin had been involved in forward play and the lack of any midfielder dropping to cover him meant that the defence had to shift over to the left to compensate hoping that would give time for someone to fill in the gap left in our right back area.

The problem I have is that I don''t think any of our centre backs are good enough (yet).

Askou is the most promising for me but is still making mistakes. The Wycombe goal on Saturday that he allowed to bounce a prime example. One of the first things that is taught in junior football as a centre back - do not allow the ball to bounce! He has been shaky at other times too but coming from a foreign league it may just be a case of having to adapt.

Spillane, again shows promise but I''m not sure whether he is a centre half or not. It''s the same old argument really, jack of all trades master of none. Probably needs to make a decision and work on it if he wants to be a centre back.

Doherty should be sound at this level but still  making mistakes. Mistakes we can not afford if we have aspirations of promotion.

Nelson, in the two games I have seen him he has looked worse than Doc. He''s slow and hoof ball appears to be his game.

I belive we need two or three defenders in as Drury and Otsemobor aren''t looking that solid either. I''d like to see Wiggins at left back but he looks like he''s going to be a little way off yet. I''d keep Askou and Spillane and try to ship Nelson and Doherty out. Bringing in two more centre halfs as we''re clearly not going to use Stefanovic. I''d also like to see another right back in but not sure funds/time constraints will permit.

[quote user="bleach"]I think any defender who has played in our back for over the last 3-4 seasons should be dropped. Defence has always been weak. We showed last season that we could score just as many goals as birmingham - its at the other end where all our problems lie and I hope Lambert will be the manager to finally overhaul our slow clumsy defence[/quote]

Birmingham have a terrible goal-scoring record !!  [:D]  Don''t you mean Sunderland ?  

[/quote]]

NURSE![:S]

[quote user="Northern Canary"]Time after time we conceed at the back post with Otsemobor nowhere to be seen[/quote]

Oh for god''s sake, another one.  WERE YOU NOT WATCHING THE GAME???

[quote user="Scooby"]

[quote user="Northern Canary"]Time after time we conceed at the back post with Otsemobor nowhere to be seen[/quote]

[/quote]

I think Northern rightly had more than last nights game in mind.  But whatever the reason Ots opponent was left in acres of space and time for two goals,  and they were not the only occassions.  

And ifyou are going to excuse Ots his defensive duties why not Theo his goal keeping ones or Doc his defensive ones and Curo his goal scoring ones???

A back four is just that - 4 players who defend,  not two centre backs and 6 midfielders,  2 of whom are full backs who think they are wingers.  As much as I despise one G Neville watch how he always picks and chooses when to get forward - only once his defence was safe or his player was not in a threatening position and unmarked by a tem mate.

Christ what is wrong with some Norwich fans? Our entire back 4 are shocking, if you can''t see that then you must be very deluded, aside from the many, many individual errors that our defenders have made this year there is also a huge concern over the shape of our back 4, it''s complete shambles, (hence why we have conceded 13 goals in 3 home games), any half decent team going forward that plays us this season will have no problem cuttig us up on the evidence of our recent performances. The midfild have also been very suspect defensively as they don''t get back quick enough and often leave a 3v3 situation at the back, that was very clear last night.

Unless their is vast improvments in the organistion and shape of our defense then relegation could be an option this season as we curently have the worst defense in the division.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Scooby"]

[/quote]

I think Northern rightly had more than last nights game in mind.  But whatever the reason Ots opponent was left in acres of space and time for two goals,  and they were not the only occassions.  

And ifyou are going to excuse Ots his defensive duties why not Theo his goal keeping ones or Doc his defensive ones and Curo his goal scoring ones???

A back four is just that - 4 players who defend,  not two centre backs and 6 midfielders,  2 of whom are full backs who think they are wingers.  As much as I despise one G Neville watch how he always picks and chooses when to get forward - only once his defence was safe or his player was not in a threatening position and unmarked by a tem mate.

[/quote]

Ok Zipper.  His opponent was left in acres of space for the 1st goal because Otsemobor was overlapping down the wing, as he should do when we''re attacking, and WHALEY gave the ball straight to a Sunderland player in the centre circle.  Reid was off, pass, goal. Semi didn''t even have time to turn around.  The second goal, if you''d like to watch again,  Semi had to go across to tackle Carlos Edwards, who was unmarked in the penalty area due to the lack of a centre half. Edwards immediately crossed, as he new Semi had him, to an unmarked Andy Reid who had just made a run past WHALEY who didn''t even look and was just jogging back

All last season people were knocking Semi for getting vertigo if he crossed the halfway line (me too by the way) and now Lambert has him doing just that, and becoming a real attacking threat, he''s being criticised.  Poor bloke can''t win.  He was, however, blameless for all 4 goals last night.  If you have any doubts may I suggest that you watch the game again.

I think the back four was atrocious last night, we were being pulled all over the place......Doc and Spillane looked like school boys defending and Semmy may as well of not been on the pitch at all. Lappin may have come out of the game in a better light due to his attacking play but he was still getting turned inside out in the first half.........but my question is, are the midfield doing enough to support both the rearguard and the forwards?

It seems to be every game that we make some kind of mistake. Never mind Doherty or Otsemobor, the team as a whole needs to take responsibility for this. Whilst I certainly believe we should try and get another defender brought in, you don''t just rely on defenders to defend and in the same way you don''t leave strikers to score all of your goals. It''s a team thing. As a team, if we don''t sort out our collective defending it''ll cost us several points and will greatly affect where we finish in this division.

We all notice Doc because he falls over and stuff and he''s not exactly Brad Pitt.  One of the major problems on here is that people only seem to look at where the ball is and not what is going on off the ball.  As a team we lack shape, organisation, communication and leadership.  Our midfield seems to wonder all over the place and then get caught out of position when we lose the ball.  In recent years there have been cup ties when non-league teams have come up against the big boys and every player has given it everything, playing for each other and getting behind the ball.  A lot of our players just don''t seem to have the nouse or the inclination to do this and certainly not the commitment.  Over the past three years its as if we''ve been trying to play some kind of hybrid "total football" a la Holland in the 70s - only without the skill and quality!  In all areas of the pitch we just seem to need to get back to simple basics.  From there you can build in the more fancy play.  At the moment a few minutes of passing football and a bit of pressure seems to convince people that things are coming right, but how many of these false dawns have we had over the past 3 years?  For the rest of the season I''d settle for Lambert just sorting the mess out and settling on a pattern of play ready for a real push for promotion with the players who real want to give blood for the club.

[/quote]

My God - stop with the Doc is not that bad posts!! He''s Sh1t, we all know it! he was at fault again last night, and the only player (except Drury) at the back who has been with us for the TWO relegations.