Sign in to follow this  
Gentleman Jim

buzz players

Whilst mulling over the virtues of our man Huckerby I tried to recollect other players that caused such a buzz when playing for us in the past.

Then Jimmy Bone came to mind and purely from memory I would say he was a carbon copy of Hucks if not better.

Also I recall Kenny Foggo who had a "Little & Large" partnership with Peter Sylvester, He used to be similair in style and waltz past opponents on mazy little runs too.

Anyone think of another to compare with Hucks ?

[quote]Whilst mulling over the virtues of our man Huckerby I tried to recollect other players that caused such a buzz when playing for us in the past. Then Jimmy Bone came to mind and purely from memory I ...[/quote]

bloody hell jim, a lot of them, though  i suppose some were a long time ago, i for one will never forget the combination of macdougall and boyer!  The best partnership upfront we ever had as far as i am concerned - also martin peters - pure class.

Defensively, Dave Watson, and Brucie, midfield, Ian Crook was a pleasure to watch, also Martin O''Neill ....John Deehan, and of course old disco himself, we have had some superb players over the years.

Yes, Jimmy Bone was good, but Hucks came to the club at the right time and just lit the place up and gave us the opportunity of promotion, what a year!! HE is the reason we are where we are today - it is not how he plays, it was the way he just got the club and the fans going and shot us into the top of the division.  We will forever be grateful to him for that.

Great post jim, nice to remember some of the old guys!!

I guess your answers sort of date you somewhat, Kevin Drinkell and Mark Robins ( I was at the Arsenal game when he made his bebut as a second half sub and scored the two goals to beat them 4-2 surely one of the greatest game in canary history)

For me it''s got to be Disco Dale Gordon - the man with the style who brought the ''drop-shoulder-and-step-over'' to Carrow Road, at a time when the English league was characterised by the long ball game and defensive thuggery...

I remember the thrills as he took the ball out wide from Chippy and the crowd drew a breath as he shimmied down the right, greasy perm flapping in his wake.  One step over, two, more, then some poor left back left back on his arse and Disco hit the touchline and pulled the cross over (into the River End more often than not).  What a legend

Remember his goal against West Ham in the FA Cup Quarter Final?  Dream...

And the Barclay sang: "Let''s all have a disco, let''s all have a disco, da na na na, da na na na!"

Have you all noticed how many threads are referring back to the good old days of the Barclay...? How could we forget Disco Dale?Anyone remember the anticipation you used to feel when the great Keith Bertschin was playing - a shiver would creep up your spine when he received the ball - you just knew he would fall spectacularly at some point - a bit like Bambi except he was less graceful!

When I started supporting City, we didn''t really do flair. So when players like Foggo and Bone arrived, it was like the sun had come out.

More than flair, Jimmy Bone had a mischievous sense of humour which he brought to his relationship with the fans. During one match he dribbled to the corner flag and sat on the ball. I can still remember him grinning as the opposition defender desperately tried to hack the ball from under him. On another occasion I remember him winking at the crowd after an unconvincing dive failed to win him a penalty.

"Jimmy Bone, superstar, how many goals have you scored so far?"  Happy days..

[quote]Have you all noticed how many threads are referring back to the good old days of the Barclay...? How could we forget Disco Dale?Anyone remember the anticipation you used to feel when the great Keith ...[/quote]

Ah Keith Bertchin the great threepenny-bit head his heading abilities was throwing a ball at a piece of corrugated iron ,where went anyone could guess ....happy days!

The Keith Bertschin "Star Jump" will long remain a memory for me - nightmare for marking defenders! Remember his winner against the binners in FACup!

First game as a Barclay boy saw a choldhood hero Jimmy Neighbour score a couple against Bristol City - another one of the enigmatic talents we''ve had (definitely in the Mark Rivers, Keith O''Neill mode:great when they felt like it absent when they didn''t).

For me it has to be DAvid Nielson -

His celebrations, the way he warmed up the crowd. If only he would''ve stayed, He probably can''t belive that he is missing premier footie!

Another was Geontio Geillanza - (sorry about spelling) Natural goal scorer, scored in every game i went to, i think. I was so young (and small) ((and still am small....)) i can only just remember... But then came the horrible injury and then............. hm..........

those were they days, Andy marshall and his ''straight'' kicks... Lee marshal getting carded for his celebration, Cedric Anselin..............

anyway back to reality..........

I was interested to hear Gunny saying on Sky today that, in his opinion, Hucks was the best bit of business the club has ever done, partly because of the impact he had on the club and the part he had to play in our success last season, with it being so difficult to get out of division one and into the Prem these days.  Whether he has had the biggest ''buzz'' factor it''s hard to tell, but he''s certainly made one hell of a noise!