Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

Lappin. He cares

I like Lappin, especially his loyalty and commitment, and he really has a "sweet left foot". One problem is that it is all he has. Except for set pieces, when Askou will be up, his only target is Holt. If there are two good central defenders, then Holt will struggle to convert centres. His crosses tend to be from wide left, and not from the by-line. They are very accurate, but they are also predictable.I have to say that he is good at tackling back and being ready to support the LB.Wes has a greater variety and is more mobile, and can make things happen if the other players are awake. I am not sure how far his wandering is a problem for the team. It certainly leaves the LHS wide open, but this was true when a certain Mr.D.Huckerby was playing wide left. It means that you can''t afford to have any defensive weaknesses in the three playing in the midfield.I would find it difficult to choose between the two, as they offer different things. Against a poor Wycombe defence, with a geriatric Dubery, Lappin was able to create chances, but against a CB pairing like Exeter, with Taylor and Troy Hyphenated-hyphenated, most of the crosses would have been cut out.  Wes can be destructive, even among good defences, but he can hold on to the ball too long and be "moody".I hope that we can keep both, as offering different things.

Everything About Lappin Is Right. He Symbolises A True Norwich Player In My Opinion!! You Can Tell How Big He Is With The Fans, The Roar And Cheer He Got When He First Touched The Ball On Monday Says It All! :)

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]I have slated the guy on many occasions, and I make no apologies for that. He has played some very poor games for us at Championship level at full back.

However we are now in a lower league and his performances so far have be good.

The thing that stands out a mile is he cares. He plays with passion and pride. He wants to win. Nobody was more angry and disappointed last nigh when we conceded goals and nobody was more up for it than him last night.

Whilst you''ll have to do a hell of a lot to convince me his has the ability to be a top Championship player or full back we are not in the Championship and I think his real position for us will be wide left.

Top marks to a guy who has been treated terribly by Roeder and top marks for taking some pride in himself and the club he works for. I saw from my seat in the river end how much it hurt when they scored against us and thats what I want to see from all the players.

Well do Simon you may not be the best player I’ve ever seen but in this league with that attitude you’ll do ok and you’ll do for me.
[/quote]

This is the thing about Lappin, every thinks he''s awful because of games like Charlton away last year, or against Watford at home a few years back. Granted he was shocking in these games but he was playing at left back in both. He is not a full back, he is just a left sided midfielder that is willing to play out of position for the team, and has been treated unfairly by all because of this. When he played in the centre against Birmingham last year he was quality, and again so at left midfield on Saturday. Imagine Semi playing centre midfield, Whalley playing right back? They''d have the same nightmare, if not more so, than Lappin dropping back to full back.

I just hope Monday night at left back was a one of, he played well, but he has to play in position, or eventually he''l get found out again and the fans will return on he''s back.

[quote user="Binky"] - do not judge him on managers'' insistence on playing him at LB - Lambert included.
[/quote]

How many times has Lambert played him at LB? Once? Twice? It makes sense for him to have a look at him in that position. I imagine PL now knows where Simon''s best position is. 10/10 for attitude - I agree with others this is the type of characters we need. Pleased for him.

[quote user="IllawarraCanary"]

[quote user="Binky"] - do not judge him on managers'' insistence on playing him at LB - Lambert included.[/quote]

How many times has Lambert played him at LB? Once? Twice? It makes sense for him to have a look at him in that position. I imagine PL now knows where Simon''s best position is. 10/10 for attitude - I agree with others this is the type of characters we need. Pleased for him.

[/quote]Quite right. My plea was to those posters who still belittle his contribution on the basis of his performances at LB. Even Gunn (after a great game by Lappin in the midfield at St Andrews) used him as a bit player substitute for Drury. Lambert has played him just once there - and whilst I am sure PL does know his best position, his limited options with both full back positions may mean he is tempted to use Lappin there. I would rather see him there than not int he team at all - but supporters need to accept that sooner or later he will get roasted by a really speedy winger. As the "Renaissance Man" himself says on this web site:  “I''m not going to hide the fact that I do prefer playing midfield, but

if I''m asked to do a job at left-back I will do my very best and give

100 per cent. I''m just happy to be playing.”
(Well said that man).