Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

Lappin. He cares

I have slated the guy on many occasions, and I make no apologies for that. He has played some very poor games for us at Championship level at full back.However we are now in a lower league and his performances so far have be good.The thing that stands out a mile is he cares. He plays with passion and pride. He wants to win. Nobody was more angry and disappointed last nigh when we conceded goals and nobody was more up for it than him last night.Whilst you''ll have to do a hell of a lot to convince me his has the ability to be a top Championship player or full back we are not in the Championship and I think his real position for us will be wide left. Top marks to a guy who has been treated terribly by Roeder and top marks for taking some pride in himself and the club he works for. I saw from my seat in the river end how much it hurt when they scored against us and thats what I want to see from all the players. Well do Simon you may not be the best player I’ve ever seen but in this league with that attitude you’ll do ok and you’ll do for me.

At long last Hardhouse. rest easy - you are now talking to the converted - and of course the many of us who have always believed in the lad. As for not making it in the championship - a) that says little for the rest of the team, given he is now one of our best players and b) you obviously do not recall his first game for us - v Leeds I think. He is class IMO - do not judge him on managers'' insistence on playing him at LB - Lambert included.

I agree with all that. He was banished to playing with the youth by Roeder, and I have noticed how supportive he is of them on the pitch. Also like the way he waves to his partner (I presume) at the top of the Jarrold when he comes out on to the pitch. Perhaps he is not the most skilful player, but I would say that he more than matches Hoolahan in the taking of corners and free kicks.

Sat behind the goal last night and as the 3rd goal went in Lappin went mental and i said to my mate thats what you wanna see, passion and commitment, and i mentioned did we ever see that last season from Bertrand or Omozusi or Kennedy when we conceded? No.Lappin was superb against Wycombe and played very well from LB last night.Well done lad.

He might be as technically gifted as Hoolahan but Saturday showed he''s far more effective.

Stop comparing Wes and Simon. They offer two completely different things and one isn''t best used as a LM.Wesley offers creativity, Simon offers quality set pieces and crossing

No one can question his desire to play for NCFC - However he is not a natural left backi and far more comfortable in midfield.  All his bad games have been when he has been played at left back - apart from last night when he worked hard and did not let the team down.

Wes is getting an ear bending at the moment, but guess what?  He likes playing just behind the forwards - when has played well?  When he''s been in that position.

When you play players in positions where they are not comfortable, you do not get the best out of them - that is down to the manager NOT the player.

Lappin was excellent last night, out of position or not. Strikes me he would easily be good enough to play left back or left mid in this league.Hoolahan has to play in the hole. It''s so obvious it''s ridiculous. Question is, does Lambert want to dispense with 4-4-2, which is what has to happen if we''re to get the best out of Wes. At least he chose a live TV game not to play very well last night - hopefully he''ll still be here in September.

To make the best of Wes then, we go 4-3-1-2?Not often seen at Div 1 level I would imagine!! Could be fanstastic for us...could be a disaster!That would mean the midfield three would need to be ultra solid. Interesting...

[quote user="Old Shuck"]
To make the best of Wes then, we go 4-3-1-2?

Not often seen at Div 1 level I would imagine!! Could be fanstastic for us...could be a disaster!

That would mean the midfield three would need to be ultra solid. Interesting...
[/quote]

I''d echo all that''s been said here about Lappin.  As for Wes, he has skill and some nice touches but he simply isn''t good enough to change your whole formation for. And as for a midfield three that''s "ultra solid" - not with our current squad I''m afraid!

In this division, I think he is absolutely good enough to build the team around. Last night was my first game, so I have no idea whether we have the players to make 4 3 1 2 work, but I don''t see why it''s a non-starter in League One. I really don''t understand this idea that we have to play 442 or lump it long just because lots of other teams do. If we have a player of Hoolahan''s skill, we should use it. And I''m not getting carried away - last night showed he''s not a Premiership player, but he''s easilty a Championship player and the last time he was in League One he was the key member of a promotion team.

[quote user="Lambo"]He might be as technically gifted as Hoolahan but Saturday showed he''s far more effective.[/quote]

Technically gifted at running into defenders! Id have 4 lappins to 1 Hoolahan

Yes Wes is frustrating especially when he''s on the left wing, but every so often he does something absolutely fantastic. Each to their own, but I go to watch football to see players with a bit of flair like him. We should be grateful we''ve got him, for the next week, at least.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Yes Wes is frustrating especially when he''s on the left wing, but every so often he does something absolutely fantastic. Each to their own, but I go to watch football to see players with a bit of flair like him. We should be grateful we''ve got him, for the next week, at least.[/quote]

Players like him a held in high esteem but in my book he is disjoints the team, and constantly runs straight into defenders,500k id take it tomorrow!

Lappin great attitude and really offers the team something on the left wing, especially with Holt up front. Hooly can be brilliant but can be awful. He can''t really be played on the left because when he drifts he leaves the left back exposed. If both could be incorporated in the same system it would be brilliant but i think it''s one of those situations when you want to play more than 11 players.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]In this division, I think he is absolutely good enough to build the team around. Last night was my first game, so I have no idea whether we have the players to make 4 3 1 2 work, but I don''t see why it''s a non-starter in League One. I really don''t understand this idea that we have to play 442 or lump it long just because lots of other teams do. If we have a player of Hoolahan''s skill, we should use it. And I''m not getting carried away - last night showed he''s not a Premiership player, but he''s easilty a Championship player and the last time he was in League One he was the key member of a promotion team.
[/quote]

Like you, after I''d seen him once in the flesh I thought he was a good player.  After several further viewings I came to the same conclusion as most people on here - skillful but far too little end product.  We need to settle on a solid team structure and then pick the players to play within it.  At the moment we keep getting exposed with a midfield 4 can you imagine the chaos with a midfield three and all just to humour Wes?  I spoke to a few Blackpool supporters at the game last year and they said he actually played exactly the same when he was there.

Canarycharge is right. Hoolahan looks good, but all too often a ball to him is lost. Lappin played a couple of pinpoint balls half the length of the pitch whihc created genuine opportunities - he''s got the vision to see where the ball ought to be, and the skill to put it there. Wes undoubtedly has skill but he''s a luxury, and we''re not exactly in the position where we can afford that sort of luxury this season.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Canarycharge is right. Hoolahan looks good, but all too often a ball to him is lost. Lappin played a couple of pinpoint balls half the length of the pitch whihc created genuine opportunities - he''s got the vision to see where the ball ought to be, and the skill to put it there. Wes undoubtedly has skill but he''s a luxury, and we''re not exactly in the position where we can afford that sort of luxury this season.[/quote]

eye!

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]I have slated the guy on many occasions, and I make no apologies for that. He has played some very poor games for us at Championship level at full back.

However we are now in a lower league and his performances so far have be good.

The thing that stands out a mile is he cares. He plays with passion and pride. He wants to win. Nobody was more angry and disappointed last nigh when we conceded goals and nobody was more up for it than him last night.

Whilst you''ll have to do a hell of a lot to convince me his has the ability to be a top Championship player or full back we are not in the Championship and I think his real position for us will be wide left.

Top marks to a guy who has been treated terribly by Roeder and top marks for taking some pride in himself and the club he works for. I saw from my seat in the river end how much it hurt when they scored against us and thats what I want to see from all the players.

Well do Simon you may not be the best player I’ve ever seen but in this league with that attitude you’ll do ok and you’ll do for me.
[/quote]

Yep I was thinking the same thing. I just hope that attitude can rub off on some of the other players!

As this is taking a confessional theme then I''ll share.........My name''s Shack and I''m a Lappin critic [:D]Seriously though, I have been really impressed with the way he''s played in the last two games. His set piece delivery was fantastic on Saturday and he was extremely disciplined and helped us keep our shape which was very important in the context of that game. He then put in a decent shift last night at left back and was probably one of our better performers.However, a lot of my concerns still remain. He''s slow, doesn''t beat players in the final third and too much of his good work comes from set pieces. It''s all very well slinging in a few decent crosses against Wycombe, who have to be one of the worst teams I''ve ever seen at Carrow Road, but any team who has done their homework is going to station their right midfielder/full back forty yards from their goal and cut off the supply line. Then there''s the problems that a Drury-Lappin combination is going to cause us when we come up against any team with pace down their right hand side.He''s done a great job so far in the two games he''s played but I remain to be convinced that a team with him in the side will be challenging at the end of the season.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]As this is taking a confessional theme then I''ll share.........My name''s Shack and I''m a Lappin critic [:D]Seriously though ....... I remain to be convinced that a team with him in the side will be challenging at the end of the season.[/quote]I remain to be convinced that a team without him in the side will be challenging at the end of the season. (At Brentford all 3 goals came from set pieces. Against Wycombe didn''t 4 of our 5 goals came from set pieces?)You have forgotten all those lovely corner kicks that Fotheringham took? And all the goals we did not convert from them?

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="Shack Attack"]As this is taking a confessional theme then I''ll share.........My name''s Shack and I''m a Lappin critic [:D]Seriously though ....... I remain to be convinced that a team with him in the side will be challenging at the end of the season.[/quote]I remain to be convinced that a team without him in the side will be challenging at the end of the season. (At Brentford all 3 goals came from set pieces. Against Wycombe didn''t 4 of our 5 goals came from set pieces?)You have forgotten all those lovely corner kicks that Fotheringham took? And all the goals we did not convert from them?[/quote]Come on Binky you''ve left out the two paragraphs where I explained my reasons for not being convinced by Lappin''s ability. I fail to see what Fotheringham has to do with anything as he''s no longer here. Why not answer my criticisms rather than completely ignoring them.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Canarycharge is right. Hoolahan looks good, but all too often a ball to him is lost. Lappin played a couple of pinpoint balls half the length of the pitch whihc created genuine opportunities - he''s got the vision to see where the ball ought to be, and the skill to put it there. Wes undoubtedly has skill but he''s a luxury, and we''re not exactly in the position where we can afford that sort of luxury this season.[/quote]

You all seem to be considering an either or - Lappin or Hoolahnan decision

The key role in most sides is the central midfield spot - the player who makes it happen

Alonso for Liverpool , Scholes for Man U, Fabagas for Arsenal

Hoolahan best role would be in that central midield with Lappin left, and a hard workong right sided palyer who can tackle back and defend - a la Croft (my left foot)

Tudor Jones is the holding player and the problem is where does Korey fit in - we are struggling for balance and fitness in midfield

- I am not for slagging but Adeyemi has a lot of fitness work to do before he is an up and down midfielder - needs to build his strength and tackling ability - ( in my opinion) but he should make the grade

Keep Hoolahan -he''s quality and can make things happen

We need the likes of Clinghan and Safri - quality midfield players

[quote user="southstand"][quote user="Nuff Said"]Canarycharge is right. Hoolahan looks good, but all too often a ball to him is lost. Lappin played a couple of pinpoint balls half the length of the pitch whihc created genuine opportunities - he''s got the vision to see where the ball ought to be, and the skill to put it there. Wes undoubtedly has skill but he''s a luxury, and we''re not exactly in the position where we can afford that sort of luxury this season.[/quote]

The key role in most sides is the central midfield spot - the player who makes it happen

Hoolahan best role would be in that central midield with Lappin left, and a hard workong right sided palyer who can tackle back and defend - a la Croft (my left foot)

Tudor Jones is the holding player and the problem is where does Korey fit in - we are struggling for balance and fitness in midfield

- I am not for slagging but Adeyemi has a lot of fitness work to do before he is an up and down midfielder - needs to build his strength and tackling ability - ( in my opinion) but he should make the grade

We need the likes of Clinghan and Safri - quality midfield players[/quote]Very sensible post

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Binky"][quote user="Shack Attack"]As this is taking a confessional theme then I''ll share.........My name''s Shack and I''m a Lappin critic [:D]Seriously though ....... I remain to be convinced that a team with him in the side will be challenging at the end of the season.[/quote]I remain to be convinced that a team without him in the side will be challenging at the end of the season. (At Brentford all 3 goals came from set pieces. Against Wycombe didn''t 4 of our 5 goals came from set pieces?)You have forgotten all those lovely corner kicks that Fotheringham took? And all the goals we did not convert from them?[/quote]Come on Binky you''ve left out the two paragraphs where I explained my reasons for not being convinced by Lappin''s ability. I fail to see what Fotheringham has to do with anything as he''s no longer here. Why not answer my criticisms rather than completely ignoring them.[/quote]Apologies Shack - no deceit intended - just trying to shorten the post and highlight your conclusion. Lappin is not the complete or perfect player I grant you. My point was simply that set pieces are very important in this Division - and no-one - absolutely no-one - in the squad does them better. I think we''ll accumulate fewer points without him. (As for Fotheringham - he was not the only culprit, but he took a really crummy corner kick. Don''t know the stats but I''d love to know our conversion rate last season).

[quote user="southstand"][quote user="Nuff Said"]Canarycharge is right. Hoolahan looks good, but all too often a ball to him is lost. Lappin played a couple of pinpoint balls half the length of the pitch whihc created genuine opportunities - he''s got the vision to see where the ball ought to be, and the skill to put it there. Wes undoubtedly has skill but he''s a luxury, and we''re not exactly in the position where we can afford that sort of luxury this season.[/quote]

We need the likes of Clinghan and Safri - quality midfield players[/quote]And I would add Damien Francis to that list. Did we ever replace him?