Sign in to follow this  
Glenn Foy

Extreme Posts

Just a quick post to say how hilarious I find some threads started by people, and how exaggerated they are. Whilst I think Lappin has had two cracking games for us, I think posts entitled ''lappin - our best ever forgotten player?'' are excessively over-the-top. Congruous posts suggesting that Doherty is our worst defender are similarly amplified in my opinion! I for one admit he was below par last night, but the runner up in last seasons player of the year award is no where near our worst defender!

[quote user="Glenn Foy"]Just a quick post to say how hilarious I find some threads started by people, and how exaggerated they are. Whilst I think Lappin has had two cracking games for us, I think posts entitled ''lappin - our best ever forgotten player?'' are excessively over-the-top. Congruous posts suggesting that Doherty is our worst defender are similarly amplified in my opinion! I for one admit he was below par last night, but the runner up in last seasons player of the year award is no where near our worst defender![/quote]

Indeed. They annoying thing is that it seems like the majority of people see everything as black and white, awesome or rubbish.

Our players are all average as footballers go. Some are playing better than others at the moments, others could play better in different circumstances. How a defender who has been voted player of the year can be our worst ever defender is beyond stupid.

Lappin has great delivery, we all know that, he''s a bit slow though. Hopefully he''ll do well, but I can imagine him being given the same treatment by the "fans" as Clint Easton, Ian Henderson, Chris Lewellyn, Mark Rivers, Iwan Roberts (first season), Andy Hughes, Carl Robinson, Shaun Carey, Daryl Sutch, Jon Otsemobor, Peter Thorne, Chris Brown, Jamie Cureton etc. after a couple of quiet games.

It''s the way things are in our world I''m afraid.  People are very quick to judge others and then look for any evidence to reinforce their prejudice.  This is normally done with an"if you disagree with me then you are obviously an ignorant pillock" tone. A lot of the time it''s extreme views that get people talking and thinking about what is going on.  It gets a bit much when it''s done in a humiliating or destructive way.  The other thing is that people tend to be very narrow and simplistic in their opinions, blaming all our woes on one player or majority shareholder.  Life (especially at Norwich) is just never that simple!

Yup. The swingometer stuff does my nut in too. I mind it less if I''ve been at a game, but I don''t get to them all and look to this forum for detailed info. It''s all getting a bit tabloid isn''t it? From my own perspective, when posting I try to keep it within the realms of reality or obvious humor... Sometimes - unfortunately the fun stuff on here isn''t intentionally amusing, but like canary call it''s wearing very thin.

Look once and for all the trouble with The Doc is he is a curse.  He joined us and we have been on a downward spiral.  To be honest I couldn''t give a sh*t if he plays one good game out of three, the trouble is he will always play two bad ''uns.  Until he is gone, the downward spiral will contniue.  He is a curse and needs to go.  The whole pub up here in Sheffield laughed their socks off at the pathetic performance he put in on Monday, and most were of the opinion he always plays like that.  Whilst he is in the team he will always make us a laughing stock.  Sunderland have now shown every team in the third tier how to paly him now, which is scary!  The championship teams found that out after three seasons,  New blood is needed. 

I''m losing patience - until he goes the curse will not be lifted and our chances or moving up the league will be nil.  For the sake of lifting the curse DOC HAS TO GO!

[quote user="shefcanary"]

Look once and for all the trouble with The Doc is he is a curse.  He joined us and we have been on a downward spiral.  To be honest I couldn''t give a sh*t if he plays one good game out of three, the trouble is he will always play two bad ''uns.  Until he is gone, the downward spiral will contniue.  He is a curse and needs to go.  The whole pub up here in Sheffield laughed their socks off at the pathetic performance he put in on Monday, and most were of the opinion he always plays like that.  Whilst he is in the team he will always make us a laughing stock.  Sunderland have now shown every team in the third tier how to paly him now, which is scary!  The championship teams found that out after three seasons,  New blood is needed. 

I''m losing patience - until he goes the curse will not be lifted and our chances or moving up the league will be nil.  For the sake of lifting the curse DOC HAS TO GO!

[/quote]

Every team in the third tier doesn''t have Kenwyne Jones, Frazier Campbell and Andy Reid.  Bit of a silly statement really isn''t it shef.

[quote user="Romantic"]Yup. The swingometer stuff does my nut in too. I mind it less if I''ve been at a game, but I don''t get to them all and look to this forum for detailed info. It''s all getting a bit tabloid isn''t it? From my own perspective, when posting I try to keep it within the realms of reality or obvious humor... Sometimes - unfortunately the fun stuff on here isn''t intentionally amusing, but like canary call it''s wearing very thin.
[/quote]

It would be interesting to know how many of the "extremists" have ever played the game at a reasonable level. I suspect not many.

Look once and for all the trouble with The Doc is he is a curse.  He joined us and we have been on a downward spiral. He is a curse and needs to go. 

[/quote]What a load of balls. [quote user="shefcanary"]

The whole pub up here in Sheffield laughed their socks off at the

pathetic performance he put in on Monday, and most were of the opinion

he always plays like that

[/quote]How the hell do they know "he always plays like that"?[quote user="shefcanary"]

To be honest I couldn''t give a sh*t if he plays one good game out of

three, the trouble is he will always play two bad ''uns.

[/quote]People that go regularly to games keep voting him in for player of the season. If you live in Shef then there''s not much chance you get to all the games, perhaps he doesn''t play two bad games out of every three. Admittedly he was RUBBISH on monday, but I''ve never seen him play that badly. He''s out of form and needs a rest. He isn''t a curse.

[/quote]

totally and utterly spot on...................even ignoring this season your post is 100% - now he''s in League One with us and everything that has happened since he has done nothing to make me change my mind. His only consistency is falling over, tripping up, slipping and manhandling.......all at the wrong times.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="shefcanary"]

Look once and for all the trouble with The Doc is he is a curse.  He joined us and we have been on a downward spiral. He is a curse and needs to go. 

[/quote]What a load of balls. [quote user="shefcanary"]

The whole pub up here in Sheffield laughed their socks off at the

pathetic performance he put in on Monday, and most were of the opinion

he always plays like that

[/quote]How the hell do they know "he always plays like that"?[quote user="shefcanary"]

To be honest I couldn''t give a sh*t if he plays one good game out of

three, the trouble is he will always play two bad ''uns.

[/quote]People that go regularly to games keep voting him in for player of the season. If you live in Shef then there''s not much chance you get to all the games, perhaps he doesn''t play two bad games out of every three. Admittedly he was RUBBISH on monday, but I''ve never seen him play that badly. He''s out of form and needs a rest. He isn''t a curse.[/quote]

omg!

Aren''t people missing the point here that slating players and then bigging them up to the stars are two of the main pleasures of being a football fan. The reason football is fun is that there are ups and downs, good days and bad days, promotion seasons and relegation seasons, players playing brilliantly and players having shockers. It''s what makes it interesting. If football fans can''t have a go at players for being pants one month and then call for them to be called up to their international squad the next, the game will be a less interesting place. It is a football fan''s prerogative to change his mind!

[/quote]"A curse"??? Is it suddenly the Middle Ages again? Next thing you know, someone will be placing hexes on the opposition and sacrificing virgins... [:$]

[quote user="Romantic"]Yup. The swingometer stuff does my nut in too. I mind it less if I''ve been at a game, but I don''t get to them all and look to this forum for detailed info. It''s all getting a bit tabloid isn''t it? From my own perspective, when posting I try to keep it within the realms of reality or obvious humor... Sometimes - unfortunately the fun stuff on here isn''t intentionally amusing, but like canary call it''s wearing very thin.
[/quote]

I agree with this, it''s not a problem if you watched the game first hand as you have your own opinions but when you''re looking to places like this forum for info on how the team played the range of interpretations of the same event/player can be bewildering. Part of football I guess but it''s doesn''t help [:)]   

This black or white, heroes or villains overreaction isn''t just confined to forums such as this though; pick up any newspaper, watch/listen to Sky Sports and various other TV and radio programmes and you will find plenty of this nonsense there.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

It would be interesting to know how many of the "extremists" have ever played the game at a reasonable level. I suspect not many.

[/quote]

I suspect very few have played football to a decent level, but does that matter? After all, you may play guitar, drums or bass a bit, but you would expect the members of U2 or the Stones or The Who to be somewhat better than you if you were at one of their concerts, if they weren''t you would be quite justified in asking for your money back.