Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Paul McVeigh

I dont get why some people have been slagging McVeigh off? Names like ''Mcfat'' are totally uncalled for if you ask me.The creativity he produced on saturday was fantastic to watch, yes he tired but thats to be expected. Can we give him 10/11 games before criticising?Just give the guy a chance[Y]

[quote user="CT "]I dont get why some people have been slagging McVeigh off? Names like ''Mcfat'' are totally uncalled for if you ask me.

The creativity he produced on saturday was fantastic to watch, yes he tired but thats to be expected. Can we give him 10/11 games before criticising?

Just give the guy a chance[Y]
[/quote]

McVeigh was excellent on Saturday. If you compare that to the pitiful effort by Whaley last night ( at fault for both the second and third goals and Croftesque crossing) you can see one good reason why we did so much better against Wycombe.

[quote user="CT "]I dont get why some people have been slagging McVeigh off? Names like ''Mcfat'' are totally uncalled for if you ask me.

The creativity he produced on saturday was fantastic to watch, yes he tired but thats to be expected. Can we give him 10/11 games before criticising?

[/quote]

I totally agree CT. He deserves his chance after Saturday. He looked fitter than when he ended his last spell with us.

I saw good skill, great crossing and a disciplined player on Saturday. Lappin and McVeigh on the wings worked well. I admit, I didn''t think it would work before the game but the crosses we put in and the football played was the best in a long time - just the service Grant Holt needs!

I feel justified in my opinion on him after Saturday. Especially given the poor shifts by Whaley and Hoolahan. I said he''d be a good player for us this year and despite his age he still has a great eye for the game and a superb touch rivalled by nobody at this club.

I agree, we certainly saw several glimpses of the McVeigh of old and he looked like he enjoyed it. He did look a little tired later on but a few matches will sort that out.

McVeigh must be in our side along with Lappin. The alternatives are Whaley who can''t cross and Hoolahan who gets into a position to cross but then tries to beat his man another 5 times.

McVeigh was the purest footballer at the club the first time he was here and he''s probably the purest footballer here right now. I''d say he''s probably first choice for the right hand side of midfield based on his performance on Saturday. Another plus point is that he seemed to bring out the best in Otsemebor against Wycombe. The problem is that he''s probably lost that yard of pace that allowed him to accelerate away from opponents after he''d used his touch to gain a half a yard. I''d definitely keep him in for Saturday but I''m concerned that by playing him on the right and Lappin on the left we could be in real trouble if we come up against a side with pace on the flanks.

one thing not mentioned so far is the cover he gave Otsemobor.  Unlike Whaley, WLY was close by and covered both in front of and at times behind the full back.  Lappin gave similiar cover to Drury.   This made us look much more solid.  Incidentally, WLY is much more solid in the tackle than Whaley

havent seen to much hate for WLY on here ?!?!If anything i think its been 99% positives.Big fan of his, especially after his return debut. Didnt look like he had 90 mins in him (yet) but he played well and looked dangerous !

Semi , Doc are the main boo boys with OTJ, Gill and Whalley getting a respectable mention

Do you remember the away match at MK Dons, MCVeigh''s fabulous cross from the right and Huckerby''s volley into the back of the net ? I''m really pleased to hear that he seems to be doing so well for us again.

I suspect that few people doubt the ability of McV. In some ways he may be the most naturally talented in the squad. Any problem he has is in his head - the reason, I suspect, why Spurs gave up on him and let him come to us fairly cheaply.From all accounts he seemed to enjoy his outing on Saturday, and certainly made significant contributions before he inevitably tired. I really hope that he has got his frame of mind correct, and that this is not another false dawn. If he is fully committed again then I think that he should replace the largely disappointing Whaley, and if he does I think he could add significantly to our progress this season..It''s very gratifying to see the wings occupied by two of our "cast-offs, and both playing so well, but one swallow does not make a summer.

From what i''ve seen hes lost a lot of weight compared to before, gave the team some needed passion to the team and created soem chances for our strike force

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

McVeigh was excellent on Saturday. If you compare that to the pitiful effort by Whaley last night ( at fault for both the second and third goals and Croftesque crossing) you can see one good reason why we did so much better against Wycombe.

[/quote]

Maybe we did better against Wycombe because they are not as good as Sunderland.

[quote user="Fuglestad"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe we did better against Wycombe because they are not as good as Sunderland.

[/quote]

Lambert made it pretty clear after the game that the Sunderland team were not his first choice and implied that he would be reverting back to the team that won against Wycombe for Saturday (-Spillane of course!)  This was another reason why the performance was not as good against Sunderland Reserves!