Sign in to follow this  
Snoots

Norwich is a backwater of a place and difficult to get to

Says our once much beloved Captain ! Thanks Steve, I''m only surprised you din''t prefix the comment with the traditional "No disrespect intended but...."

......... and, did anybody read the lengthy report in the Times today (only two games last night of course) ? Is anybody else sick to death of the constant references from commentators to Norwich supporters being royally entertained because of the large number of goals being scored at Carrow Road ? Well, the Times says :

"But at least the Carrow Road faithful are being entertained now that they are in League One because 5 goals last night brought the total at the ground this season to 20 in 270 minutes !" 

Yeah,, really enjoyable seeing sides such as Colchester, Wycombe and now Sunderland banging them in against us. they really must think we are ignorant in-breds to believe that we enjoy being humiliated week in week out.

OK, that''s off my chest. Sorry about that !

I know what you mean - it''s hardly a positive stat for us. On the whole tho, I thought last night''s game was pretty entertaining, even if we did get a bit of a pasting. the score was flattering to sunderland, and if we''d have taken some of our chances, and had their goalie not been so good, we could have had 4 ourselves. we didn''t surrender or look too shit, so I came away from that having been entertained

I too found Bruce''s comments a little silly, it''s really not that difficult to get to at all.IT might be a little long in terms of distance, but anybody with a brain can take a look at a road map or a train journey planner. He''s still a good bloke and a good mananger though for me. 

"I too found Bruce''s comments a little silly, it''s really not that difficult to get to at all.IT might be a little long in terms of distance, but anybody with a brain can take a look at a road map or a train journey planner.

He''s still a good bloke and a good mananger though for me. "

Yeah, good bloke and all that. Personally, I think Sunderland is a difficult place to get to, a right dump far away up in the North East. Who wants to go there unless to support your team ?! Lots of  backwater now that they don''t have any shipbuilding

[quote user="Superflash"]I too found Bruce''s comments a little silly, it''s really not that difficult to get to at all.IT might be a little long in terms of distance, but anybody with a brain can take a look at a road map or a train journey planner.

He''s still a good bloke and a good mananger though for me. 
[/quote]

It''s nothing to do with these comments but I think he''s proved himself time and time again to be one of the most mercenary t*****s in football management. I don''t have much time for him personally - apart from in respect of THE headed goal of course. 

Norwich is a real pain in the backside to get to!  Now being exiled up north I can see how bad transport (road) links are.  I actually came back this weekend for the Wycome game and it takes as long to do the 90 miles between Norwich and the A1M as it does the second 130 odd miles north bound!  The A17 and A47 are aweful roads that really need to be dueled all the way, unfortunately because of the cost that is never going to happen.

[quote user="Christov"]
Norwich is a real pain in the backside to get to!  Now being exiled up north I can see how bad transport (road) links are.  I actually came back this weekend for the Wycome game and it takes as long to do the 90 miles between Norwich and the A1M as it does the second 130 odd miles north bound!  The A17 and A47 are aweful roads that really need to be dueled all the way, unfortunately because of the cost that is never going to happen.
[/quote]

Not our fault you live in some northern sh*thole pal...personally I think we should dig a trench on the Lincs border.

As one who now lives in Kent...I must say Norfolk IS remote. But that is part of its charm! It is not that it is THAT hard to access...but when you do the average speed of your car drops to forty as motorway is non existent and Norfolk has more than its fair share of slow crap drivers.

I can get into central London in well under an hour and trains run every 15 mins....in compariosn to the train service i read about on here (where you waited till 6am) it is non comparible.

Bruce was not being rude just factual. Location is not in our favour....but it is a top city, with great people, good culture and a fab place to live....

"As one who now lives in Kent...I must say Norfolk IS remote. But that is part of its charm! It is not that it is THAT hard to access...but when you do the average speed of your car drops to forty as motorway is non existent and Norfolk has more than its fair share of slow crap drivers. I can get into central London in well under an hour and trains run every 15 mins....in compariosn to the train service i read about on here (where you waited till 6am) it is non comparible. Bruce was not being rude just factual. Location is not in our favour....but it is a top city, with great people, good culture and a fab place to live...."

Come on, let''s be fair here, if you live in Kent then anywhere North of London is difficult to get to by car, you''ve got that hellhole of a motorway (sic) called the M25 to get round. I normally have to factor in an extra hour and a half for the guaranteed traffic jams on that fecking road.

We are not too hard to get to from London (apart from the "Suffolk Stretch" - funny that!) but from the west the A17 and A47 are bad roads; clogged with Lorries, Tractors and suicidal drivers.

[quote user="Big Dog "]

[quote user="Christov"]Norwich is a real pain in the backside to get to!  Now being exiled up north I can see how bad transport (road) links are.  I actually came back this weekend for the Wycome game and it takes as long to do the 90 miles between Norwich and the A1M as it does the second 130 odd miles north bound!  The A17 and A47 are aweful roads that really need to be dueled all the way, unfortunately because of the cost that is never going to happen.[/quote]

Not our fault you live in some northern sh*thole pal...personally I think we should dig a trench on the Lincs border.

[/quote]Lol.  What a mature and informed response, something I’ve have learnt to love and expect from the average pinkun poster.Can’t really see how you can argue with my point, the rest of the country is connected with motorways and decent train links, Norwich simply isn’t, hence people say it is remote.I would suggest living somewhere else before writing off an entire region of the country.

Christov I kind of agree. I make the trip up to Carrow Rd from London and while the trains are an easy choice when they''re working driving up the A11 is soul destroying...

One thing though, the rest of the country isn''t connected with motorways. There is one other county which Bruce would probably call a backwater - Cornwall!!!

I have lived in norfolk all my live. The A17 and A47 are awful roads, with not nearly enough duelling, the A17 especially. On the A47 you get tailback delays because of roundabouts ffs! It is shoddy, no doubt about it, and as if that wasn''t bad enough, the train links are APPALLING. You have to go to fecking Ely!

[quote user="missing in action"]A11 and A12

worlds biggest cul-de-sac
[/quote]

Interstate 80 is a lot bigger and a lot longer but I still like arriving in San Francisco [:)]

[quote user="Crazy Eddie"]I have lived in norfolk all my live. The A17 and A47 are awful roads, with not nearly enough duelling, the A17 especially. On the A47 you get tailback delays because of roundabouts ffs! It is shoddy, no doubt about it, and as if that wasn''t bad enough, the train links are APPALLING. You have to go to fecking Ely!
[/quote]

That''s not true. Why, only the other day I saw two men with sabres fighting to the death just outside Dereham, and I understand that pistols at dawn are a regular occurrence on the Hardwick roundabout in Lynn[;)]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Crazy Eddie"]I have lived in norfolk all my live. The A17 and A47 are awful roads, with not nearly enough duelling, the A17 especially. On the A47 you get tailback delays because of roundabouts ffs! It is shoddy, no doubt about it, and as if that wasn''t bad enough, the train links are APPALLING. You have to go to fecking Ely!
[/quote]

That''s not true. Why, only the other day I saw two men with sabres fighting to the death just outside Dereham, and I understand that pistols at dawn are a regular occurrence on the Hardwick roundabout in Lynn[;)]

[/quote]

Wonder if they could lend their sabres to Tilson and the big thick fella at Brentford.....? [:O] [:D]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Crazy Eddie"]I have lived in norfolk all my live. The A17 and A47 are awful roads, with not nearly enough duelling, the A17 especially. On the A47 you get tailback delays because of roundabouts ffs! It is shoddy, no doubt about it, and as if that wasn''t bad enough, the train links are APPALLING. You have to go to fecking Ely![/quote]

[/quote]lol. Though knives are more the weapon of choice in Lynn, and they are by no means confined to the Harwick [:P]

I enjoy the drive back to East Anglia, and if you do it at the right time of the day it''s fine. Would much rather be on the A11 behind a truck at 50mph that sitting in queues down south. Take the train most weeks, again not a bad service from London at £12 return and journey of less than 2 hours.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

We are not too hard to get to from London (apart from the "Suffolk Stretch" - funny that!) but from the west the A17 and A47 are bad roads; clogged with Lorries, Tractors and suicidal drivers.

[/quote]

Agreed.  It''s about time all major roads were at least dual carriageway. It seems to me that Norfolk and Suffolk are not keen on too many visitors !! [;)]

I live in Warrington and the road trip back involves the M6, A14 and A11. The biggest pain tends to be the M6 which is like the M25, something best avoided if possible. An alternative routing is to leave the M6 at Stoke and take the A50 to the M1 then down to the A14. Whilst the barton Mills to Attleborough stretch would benefit from full dueling it is usually not a problem.

Yes Norfolk as a whole is a backwater, that''s why so many Nouveau Riche like to have second homes there so as to get away from the hustle and bustle. Finally I have lived here in the North West for 19 years and so long as you pick the right areas to live (true of anywhere in the country) it is a marvellous area to live with major Cities, stunning sceneray on the doorstep and excellent airlinks with the rest of the world. As a Norfolkman born and bred I find many of my countymen to be insular and rather narrow minded in outlook. I have to say that whilst I love the fair county and am proud of my heritage I don''t have any burning desire to return permanently.

Who cares what the old broken-nosed Michelin Man thinks about Norwich, his comments just show him up as a bit of an ignoramus. The beached whale even had the audacity to comment on one of his player''s weight issues.

[quote user="crafty canary"]

I live in Warrington and the road trip back involves the M6, A14 and A11. The biggest pain tends to be the M6 which is like the M25, something best avoided if possible. An alternative routing is to leave the M6 at Stoke and take the A50 to the M1 then down to the A14. Whilst the barton Mills to Attleborough stretch would benefit from full dueling it is usually not a problem.

Yes Norfolk as a whole is a backwater, that''s why so many Nouveau Riche like to have second homes there so as to get away from the hustle and bustle. Finally I have lived here in the North West for 19 years and so long as you pick the right areas to live (true of anywhere in the country) it is a marvellous area to live with major Cities, stunning sceneray on the doorstep and excellent airlinks with the rest of the world. As a Norfolkman born and bred I find many of my countymen to be insular and rather narrow minded in outlook. I have to say that whilst I love the fair county and am proud of my heritage I don''t have any burning desire to return permanently.

[/quote]

Don''t you think that this is true of everywhere though to an extent. Up here in York I''ve met plenty of locals that aren''t exactly progressive or cosmopolitan in their worldviews - to say the least [:)] And, even in London, I''ve met plenty of folk that hardly seem to realise that there is a world outside the M25; and, yes, it''s in a more cosmopolitan context but it is still a very insular and parochial way of looking at things.

I think I''d be tempted to change this sentence to ''As an Englishman born and bred I find many of my countrymen to be insular and rather narrow minded in outlook''. And I have plenty of German and French mates who would certainly agree with this view of the ''Island Monkeys'' as they call us [:D]  

"Finally I have lived here in the North West for 19 years and so long as you pick the right areas to live (true of anywhere in the country) it is a marvellous area to live with major Cities, stunning sceneray on the doorstep and excellent airlinks with the rest of the world."

Erm, which "cities" would those be? Lmao.

[quote user="Big Dog "]

"Finally I have lived here in the North West for 19 years and so long as you pick the right areas to live (true of anywhere in the country) it is a marvellous area to live with major Cities, stunning sceneray on the doorstep and excellent airlinks with the rest of the world." Erm, which "cities" would those be? Lmao.

[/quote]Manchester.  Liverpool.  You may have heard of them.I''m amazed anyone is arguing against the hard to get to bit.  It is just a FACT.