Sign in to follow this  
RichT - The Biscuit

Should we loan out the Young Pros

There''s a debate going on about Luke Daley and whether he''s any good but it got me thinking about the other younger pros who as it stands don''t seem to be getting near the first team on match days.

With Lambert apparently saying that he wants to trim down the size of the squad (assume to make room for some of his players I guess), wouldn''t it be worthwhile sending Dumic, Stephens, Kelly and Habergham out on loan.  They will get more benefit from playing regularly at senior level and it seems to have had a good effect on Spillane and Martin from what we have seen so far.

It''s difficult I know as we are League 1 and there is only 1 pro league below us, but Conference Football is probably an ideal place for them to learn their trade!

[quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"]

They will get more benefit from playing regularly at senior level and it seems to have had a good effect on Spillane and Martin from what we have seen so far.

[/quote]

Has it?

Thought Chris Martin looked as lazy as ever when he came on against Sunderland. Chance to impress against a big team and he didn''t seem to want to move. Only thing he did was miss a decent chance.

As for Spillane...well I don''t think he''s good enough anyway but at least he''s a bit more of a trier than Martin.

There''s a debate going on about Luke Daley and whether he''s any good but it got me thinking about the other younger pros who as it stands don''t seem to be getting near the first team on match days.

With Lambert apparently saying that he wants to trim down the size of the squad (assume to make room for some of his players I guess), wouldn''t it be worthwhile sending Dumic, Stephens, Kelly and Habergham out on loan.  They will get more benefit from playing regularly at senior level and it seems to have had a good effect on Spillane and Martin from what we have seen so far.

It''s difficult I know as we are League 1 and there is only 1 pro league below us, but Conference Football is probably an ideal place for them to learn their trade!

[/quote]Indeed, i totally agree. This was suggested by Gunn, and was 1 of the things i liked about him as manager. His ideals fitted the club superbly (as you know i thought little of his management however). And thats one thing i hope Lambert and Culverhouse continue from the Gunn reign, which is to develop the youngsters properly.Loaning them out for half, or an entire season, with option of a call back to Norwich during the spell (if they turn out to be ''really'' good [:D]) would most certainly be ideal.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"]

They will get more benefit from playing regularly at senior level and it seems to have had a good effect on Spillane and Martin from what we have seen so far.

[/quote]

Has it?

Thought Chris Martin looked as lazy as ever when he came on against Sunderland. Chance to impress against a big team and he didn''t seem to want to move. Only thing he did was miss a decent chance.

As for Spillane...well I don''t think he''s good enough anyway but at least he''s a bit more of a trier than Martin.

[/quote]

Would also like to add that I do think it is a good idea getting the lads experience of senior football if we can.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"]

[/quote]

Has it?

[/quote]I wonder which game you watched, or how many beers you had before the game...? [:)]Martin played good when he came on, won many duels and had good vision. And it isn''t easy to impress when you are 9 against 11.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"]

[/quote]

Has it?

[/quote]

Would also like to add that I do think it is a good idea getting the lads experience of senior football if we can.

[/quote]

Agreed, this is a perfect way to ''trim'' down the squad for a season at least, and also if McNally wants more ''trimming'' then I''m sure there would be plenty of takers for Hoolahan.  So that is 5 players trimmed down already!

I agree John re Gunn, shame he didn''t have the experience we needed as the rest of it was working, was enjoying being (as a fan) kept up to date with things that were ongoing, with Roeder we didn''t even see a new signing in a City Shirt!

I think from what I have heard and seen of Lambert, he seems to know what he''s doing, although I have to say one thing about him that made me laugh, sometimes you can show too much to the fans, like putting your head in your hands when the Doc clears one into Row Z on the City Stand off his shin and it wasn''t the only time on Tuesday that he did that!!

Anyway, back to the kids, it''s the only way that you will ever see the true potential of youngsters, I know we all had a moan last year re too many loans and it''s slightly hypocritical of me to suggest we should do the same, the issue I had last year wasn''t the loan system, it was the number of loans.  Just thought I would clear that up before someone jumps all over the loan thing again!!!!

[/quote]

No - this is the best opportunity we will ever have to get them blooded and playing up to league standard

RKYA - Point being though that we can''t possibly play all of them, blooding in Adeyemi, Smith, Daley, Rudd is enough youngsters for any squad with "hopes" of achieving promotion.

Can''t see any of those that I mentioned getting a run out, plus you can also add into that list Lathrope too

[quote user="Ole"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"]

[/quote]

Has it?

[/quote]

I wonder which game you watched, or how many beers you had before the game...? [:)]
Martin played good when he came on, won many duels and had good vision. And it isn''t easy to impress when you are 9 against 11.
[/quote]

Really? Did he?

If you recorded the game or anything you might want to try watching it back.

In my opinon, unless he starts showing a bit more, I don''t think he''ll be in Lamberts long term plans.

Disagree, I was impressed by him. Won balls in the air and had a good chance, which admittedly he missed - but if it''d been Holt who had missed, you''d still be praising him to the hilt.Thought so. [:|]

[/quote]Well now.  If we were still in the Championship then I''d say yes, loan them out.  But we''re a league one side, and a poor one at that, and so I would blood them as Lambert is doing with Smith, Adeyemi, perhaps Daley (who doesn''t impress me but let''s give him time).  I''d rather see youngsters with fight and passion than another bunch of journeymen who couldn''t give a monkey''s.

[quote user="Ciderkidd"]Disagree, I was impressed by him. Won balls in the air and had a good chance, which admittedly he missed - but if it''d been Holt who had missed, you''d still be praising him to the hilt.

Thought so. [:|]
[/quote]

Ok, you''re just more easily impressed than I am.

Best thing he did when he came on was a flicked header for Cody. Which was a good touch, no doubt.

The rest of it he did very little.

For the record, I think Martin has got a bit of talent about him but, in my opinion, he''s still got a long way to go in terms of how hard he works and what he brings to the team.

Cody and Holt keep running, keep working for the team. Don''t think you can say the same for Martin

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Ciderkidd"]Disagree, I was impressed by him. Won balls in the air and had a good chance, which admittedly he missed - but if it''d been Holt who had missed, you''d still be praising him to the hilt.Thought so. [:|][/quote]

Best thing he did when he came on was a flicked header for Cody. Which was a good touch, no doubt.

For the record, I think Martin has got a bit of talent about him but, in my opinion, he''s still got a long way to go in terms of how hard he works and what he brings to the team.

Cody and Holt keep running, keep working for the team. Don''t think you can say the same for Martin

[/quote]Is it because Martin didn''t score when we were playing 9 against 11 you think he had a bad game?Yes, he is very different to Holt and Cody. Is Cody better because he can run quicker? One thing is sure, Cody don''t know much about timing his runs. He starts his runs one or two seconds to late, which can work in non-league, but not at this level. I must admit I watched the game on TV (I live in Norway), so I don''t know what Martin (or Cody, Holt or everyone else) did when he was out of sight on my screen.

I haven''t seen the fixture list for the Reserves this season, but assuming that there are enough games for the returning injured and to keep the many bench warmers fit, we could perhaps spare one or two players for loans. Renton will need something similar, and Lathrope. With 18 first team players needed each week, if too many are sent out then we would be reduced to including 16 year olds in any saturday reserve match.There are one or two non-league teams with whom we are building up good relations, e.g. Dartford, who could be our feeder teams, so perhaps our young fringe players would be welcomed there.Much depends, of course, if Lambert will bring any players in. It looks unlikely that there will be transfer signings before next Tuesday, but there could be loan players (groan), and one or two transfers next January, let''s hope not in panic as before. Does he intend to try to ship any players out soon - Theo, Nelson, Rusty, Hola?

[quote user="Ole"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Ciderkidd"]Disagree, I was impressed by him. Won balls in the air and had a good chance, which admittedly he missed - but if it''d been Holt who had missed, you''d still be praising him to the hilt.

Thought so. [:|]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Is it because Martin didn''t score when we were playing 9 against 11 you think he had a bad game?

Yes, he is very different to Holt and Cody. Is Cody better because he can run quicker? One thing is sure, Cody don''t know much about timing his runs. He starts his runs one or two seconds to late, which can work in non-league, but not at this level.

I must admit I watched the game on TV (I live in Norway), so I don''t know what Martin (or Cody, Holt or everyone else) did when he was out of sight on my screen.
[/quote]

No, not at all. I don''t hold not scoring against him, I was disappointed with the lack of effort he put in. It wasn''t the performance of a young player with a point to prove.

Anyway, as I''ve said before, I don''t think Chris Martin is good enough to play upfront.