Sign in to follow this  
YoungCanary

Norwich City Goalkeepers

Just wondering what you all think about the current keepers we have to choose from?

Theo - quite clearly isn''t looking like he''s going to get another chance, looks like a bit of a waste of time.
Rudd - decent youngster from what i know but don''t know too much about him.
Alnwick - looks ok but not exactly solid

Seems different compared to the times of keepers such as green, marshall, or even gunn. These were the keepers who could make a save that would inspire the rest of the team and lift the spirits and voices of the crowd.

Cannot say about Rudd because I have not seen him.  Theoklitos buggered by terrible defending your end although the spill was his fault. 

But the suicidal "back pass" by Semmy is in a class of it''s own.  The keeper cannot touch it, otherwise it is a free kick to Colchester.  He could try and head it away or he could handball it and take the free kick.

With that defence you could have had Cech on a three month loan and you would still have lost.

[quote user="YoungCanary"]

Seems different compared to the times of keepers such as green, marshall, or even gunn. These were the keepers who could make a save that would inspire the rest of the team and lift the spirits and voices of the crowd.

[/quote]

....and even further removed from Nethercott, Kennon, Woods and the King Kevin Keelan. We have a great tradition between the posts and of late we have tarnished it very sadly.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]PS:  and Kevin Keelan by the way, a class above all those so far mentioned (my opinion).[/quote]

yes ....Kevin Keelan ........still have etched in my mind a one handed save from A Peter Osgood shot ayt a cold Stamford bridge , we stood in the shed  and Ã§ouldn''t contain our selves ,,,everyone just looked at us amazed ! Then we had to hitch a lift home  ...those were the days !

Yes Keelan was amazing, but aren''t you forgetting Clive Woods and Roger Hansbury?

CHRIS Woods was good but did not have the charisma and magic of KK, some might say Woods was technically better but Keelan''s sheer presence was worth a goal start. Hansbury was ok, nothing special. At the Theokilitis end of the scale I remember Peter Vasper whose attributes (or lack of) prompted some singing on the Barclay that I won''t repeat here. The lyrics were nothing to be proud of I have to say. 

Clive Woods was a Norfolk boy I think, who played for the other lot before seeing the error of his ways and joining us.

The real problem is that we have not seen anything of ANY of these keepers.  Poor planning seems to have got us into a position where we have not got an experienced 2nd choice who could come through and provide a bit of continuity/stability.  That combined with a defence that has not got much experience of playing together either and we are likely to look shaky. 

At that point you need a leader at the back, step forward the Doc...err maybe not on second thoughts.