Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

So who is Holts best strike partner?

In the first couple of games this season I think everyone would say that Grant Holt has been the star player out of many flops.  He has scored five goals so far this season and he looks like he will definatley add more to that tally.  He has looked very strong and has caused defenders all sorts of problems when jostling for a ball in the air.  He is not just a big, strong target man he has also looked very accomplished with his feet, as he often drifts out wide and tries to take players on and although that might sound a problem for our biggest and most dangerous goalscorer he will often burst a gut to get back into the box.  One thing that is dissapointing for the big man is that he has not yet found a suitable strike partner, so who is his best strike partner?

McDonald - He has had a few games next to Holt so far but, has failed to hit the net even with having a lot of chances.  Although Cody hasn''t converted yet those two together sound very promising with Holt''s strength to hold the ball up and Cody''s pace.  So far this has seemed the best, but for those two to be a real threat McDonald needs some composure and some goals.

Cureton - They, so far, have had one game together agaisnt Wycombe.  Although we one 5-2 and Holt bagged a brace Cureton was barely in the game and looked of the pace.  Cureton had a lack of goals last season and that, plus the crowd givivng him the occasional ''boo'', has knocked his confidence and he dosn''t look the player he once was, and I think maybe he would be better as a player if we used him for experience rather than one of our main goal threats.

Martin - We all expected a lot of Martin this year after his succesful loan spell at Luton last season.  However though this season he has looked unfit, a little lazy and it looks like he might not turn into that great player we all thought he would.  I can''t see him scoring many this season unless he had a proper run in the team and scored a few goals for his confidence, otherwise I think we may aswell sell him.

Daley - Daley looked quite good agaisnt Sunderland the other night and it is obvious he has bags of pace.  However though he is not very strong and you need strength in this league.  I also wonder whether he has got that natural touch in front of goal after he should have hit that shot agaisnt Sunderland first time when he was in the penalty area one on one with the keeper, he has scored lots of goals in the reserves but the proper league is a totally different ball game.  If he did add convction and strength to his game though, he could be lethal.

Maric - A big strong centre forward.  He hasn''t been given a good enough run out yet to assess him properly but from what he did in pre season he sounds a good prospect.  Although he is a similar build to Holt from what I heard his game is based around his touch rather than his strength, a bit like Berbatov.  He is worth a go, but if it was him and Holt up front we would lack a lot of pace.

Personally I would go with Holt and McDonald hoping McDonald finds a goal scoring touch.  That would take time to come but when it does, which I''m sure it will, I hope it''s not to late.  Thats my opinion what about yours?  

daley is not experianced enough so should go out on loan

maric i have never seen play

CURO PLAYS WELL OFF A TALL TARGET MAN!

MACDONALD WOULD WORK WELL AS AN IMPACT SUB

martin im still unsure about

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

He did not play well agaisnt Wycombe.  If he works well with one he would have been winning most of the second balls after Holts knock downs, and then he would have done something good with it.  You can count on one hand how many times Cureton won the knock downs, and when he did win them he lost possession.

I also agree about Cody but, if he dosen''t start who will, who actually looks slightly promising?

For a big man, Holt is actually quite fast. And Maric certainly didn''t seem slow to me in pre-season.I think that combination is worth a try personally.I just wonder if the language barrier is preventing Lambert from giving Maric a proper chance?...

As for the rest by the way, i''d agree in most parts, although i may not of been as impressed by Daley as you seemed to of been against Sunderland.And McDonald has netted a goal against Colchester this season (i can hardly blame you for forgetting that one though).

I wouldn''t think the language is an obstical, there have been plenty of players in the premiership who at first could barely speak English.  Now I have said that I cant think of any but Pavlychenko comes to mind, but he hasn''t done very well! But you may be right and language may be a barier.

i reckon lambert will give cureton a few games to try and get him goals and his confidence up. seems to rate him."Holt was terrific, as was Cureton, because Jamie hasn''t played since, I

don''t know, 1953 or something. So Cureton came in and I thought he was

great."The 1953 bit made me lol

[quote user="Boyo"]

McDonald - He has had a few games next to Holt so far but, has failed to hit the net even with having a lot of chances.  Although Cody hasn''t converted yet those two together sound very promising with Holt''s strength to hold the ball up and Cody''s pace.  So far this has seemed the best, but for those two to be a real threat McDonald needs some composure and some goals.

[/quote]Sorry, didn''t he score against Colchester and show composure when setting up our 5th goal vs Wycombe?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]Sorry, didn''t he score against Colchester and show composure when setting up our 5th goal vs Wycombe?[/quote]Don''t worry, has been mentioned Chops.[Y]

Yes, I know I forgot about his goal vs ColU, but can you blame me!!!  when I said composure I meant in front of goal when has a chance to score himself, and yes he did set up Holts goal well.

[quote user="Boyo"]Who do you think should partner Holt then Chops!?[/quote]I think Holt/McDonald shows a lot of promise and would stick with it.I haven''t seen Maric yet so I don''t know if he''s too similar to Holt.In order of preference,McDonaldMartinCuretonDaleyMaric is unknown, never seen him play.

Cody also unluckily hit the bar against Yeovil, went around the keeper at Exeter and had the shot cleared, and hit the post against Sunderland that resulted in a rebound and Hoolihan''s goal, so he''s not doing too bad at all. 

maric if we need someone to take pressure of holt in terms of winning all of the aerial balls, if we have maric there then holt can start using his feet more...if we are against an open side, then cody as his pace and determination will pay dividends eventually.

In my opinion we need a new striker to go with Holt.

But at the moment my preference would be for Cody to play. We all know he needs to tidy things up a bit but his pace is always going to cause problems and create chances.

Although I wouldn''t be surprised to see Lambert stick with Cureton because he knows the ropes a bit more, even though he isn''t likely to trouble defenders much.

Bit different from last season when we barely had a striker of our own!Granted none of them are Alan Shearer but seems like a luxury to be able to have this debate.

It has to be Cody.  They are already forming a partnership and with a little time, which all new partnerships need, I think they could be prolific.  I would like to see Maric given a chance on Tuesday alongside Cody so that, god forbid, anything should happen to Holt, he has some game time. I think he is a valuable asset and will prove to be very good.  Martin is a good player to have on the bench as he can fill either role if necessary.  Cureton has had way too many chances already and Daley is better in all areas as a 5th striker.

Cureton has worked hard on his fitness but will never be able to recapture his pace, Cody has to be the future. We really need to see Maric play, I get the horrible feeling that we never will......

Cody came on against Colchester and scored straight away alongside Holt.

Maric has a fair bit of pace too, check him out on youtube.

[quote user="banchory canary"]i think cody as at least hes getting chances unlike cureton[/quote]

I thought all you armchair canaries thought Cureton missed all the chances and that is why you all slate him????????????????? Every otherstriker we have misses as many, so why do they deserve more chances ? Don''t get the critiscism on this board......Cureton did not have many games last season , he will do well with holt ....maybe mc donald for the last 30 mins ................................imo

Cureton for 60-70 minutes then Cody or sometimes Daley from the bench.Maric and Martin will need to get games but I don''t see how that can be justified if Holt keeps scoring. Once Curo gets one I think they will start going in more and more if he''s alongside Holt.

Re the CURO comment I am sure some people see a different game to me!!!

We could always play Hoolahan off him if we only have one goal machine? Else i would favour Maric even having seen next to nothing of him.

I was going to suggest this.  I''d partner Cody with Holt for home and ''easier'' away games then for harder games play Hoolahan off Holt in a hole between attack and midfield, that way he''s free to roam and won''t leave the left side exposed like when he plays on the wing.