Sign in to follow this  
Iwan´s Left Foot

Luke Daley.

How on earth has this lad made it as a pro, the only quality he has is pace which he didn''t even use to his advantage against some very slow defenders Monday night. It seems to me that NCFC give young lads contracts to try and justify the academy system and so they can boast about how many lads they''ve brought through.

Also watching Renton a few times, he''s shown absolutly no potential at all.

I know these are young lads but this is pro football and we while we need squad players, they need to be able to step up, and these certainly can''t and I think they''ll be dropping a long way soon!

Yeah lets judge the kid after his debut against opposition two leagues higher than the team he is playing in.  The lack of intelligence on this board never fails to amaze.

[quote user="King Canary"]Yeah lets judge the kid after his debut against opposition two leagues higher than the team he is playing in.  The lack of intelligence on this board never fails to amaze.
[/quote]

I''ve got to second that!  You''d hope that once we get a few more homegrown lads through into the team that we''d actually see a bit more passion and pride in playing for the shirt.  It looked a bit like men against boys at times with Daley on Monday but you have to start somewhere and I certainly hope he has learned from the experience and comes back stronger.

Maybe I put it the wrong way - I just think it''s clear these players haven''t got anywhere near the required standard to play for us, no matter how much passion or desire they have. But lets face it, they probably are Arsenal or Man Utd fans anyway!

Well I can tell you Adeyemi is (I think) a Spurs fan although he goes to Norwich school and has done for a fairly long time and used to to watch Norwich when he was younger, my mate used to be in his class at school. And for your first point. Against league 1 defenders pace is the key, Daley has tons of it and when I saw him last season I thought he had a good couple of games. Adeyemi this season has been brilliant and really dos show that he cares, and Korey Smith hsa also been good when given the chance. How you can judge them on the Sunderland game amazes me.

I think it is safe to say Daley''s hattrick against the against the Arsenal reserves gained him his contract, and most probably not much else helped him earn it (unless he was given it prior to that game. If so, feel free to correct me). It has been said before that besides his pace, he doesn''t have much else to his game, which is probably true.Daley will probably fail in all honesty (can''t say yet though of course). But even if he does, i still reckon it was worth a punt as pace can take you far in football. It''s then a case of building up your abilities that support that. If he doesn''t succeed in that respect it''s not a big loss to us.As for Renton it was more circumstances that have seen him faulter rather than anything else. When he was signed up he showed a lot of promise. Was running the youth team with a ton of goals, and was shown to be dealing with himself far more professionally than Martin. But, obviousy, as most know, he suffered a massive injury and that can often be enough to ruin a footballers career, especially when it involves someone of the young age of Renton.Renton wasn''t initially a mistake, he held a lot of potential, but now, truth be told, he has very little chance of making it as a league footballer. Sometimes these things just happen in football though, however unfortunate they are.I also think you need to give players like Habergham, Stephens, Smith, Adeyemi, Rudd, Steer and Dumic time to show you what the youth system is capable of.If none of them turns out becoming a regular in our side, or leaving us for 350k+, you can call the youth system whatever you want.

Lets not right him off just yet, he''s a young professional in his first year of a professional contract, he clearly has talent as he''s scored a lot in the youth and reserve leagues, we just need to be patient with him and the other younger pro''s.

Lambert has already stated that he wants pace, having watched Luke Daley on Tuesday and he made some intelligent runs off of Holt, unfortunately he was up against a couple of really good centre halfs.

Coming from someone who clearly like Iwan, are you old enough to remember his first season, the fans gave him a chance and he became a legend.  Now I''m suggesting that Luke Daley will become a legend, but the simple point I''m trying to make is give him time.

Pace is a wonderful asset in football, especially in League 1 where the quality of the defenders are not great, if they can teach him the right runs I have no doubt that Holty will find him with flick-ons and passes.

We should be encouraging the youngsters to give them some confidence, not knocking them.

Wrong. He came on against Reading last season, gave the ball away every time he got it. Also another game I remember but not who against.

Been awful every time.

Not just on the one game.

[quote user="John"]I think it is safe to say Daley''s hattrick against the against the Arsenal reserves gained him his contract, and most probably not much else helped him earn it (unless he was given it prior to that game. If so, feel free to correct me). It has been said before that besides his pace, he doesn''t have much else to his game, which is probably true.

Daley will probably fail in all honesty (can''t say yet though of course). But even if he does, i still reckon it was worth a punt as pace can take you far in football. It''s then a case of building up your abilities that support that. If he doesn''t succeed in that respect it''s not a big loss to us.

As for Renton it was more circumstances that have seen him faulter rather than anything else. When he was signed up he showed a lot of promise. Was running the youth team with a ton of goals, and was shown to be dealing with himself far more professionally than Martin. But, obviousy, as most know, he suffered a massive injury and that can often be enough to ruin a footballers career, especially when it involves someone of the young age of Renton.

Renton wasn''t initially a mistake, he held a lot of potential, but now, truth be told, he has very little chance of making it as a league footballer. Sometimes these things just happen in football though, however unfortunate they are.

I also think you need to give players like Habergham, Stephens, Smith, Adeyemi, Rudd, Steer and Dumic time to show you what the youth system is capable of.

If none of them turns out becoming a regular in our side, or leaving us for 350k+, you can call the youth system whatever you want.
[/quote]

Well put mate.

If the Doc can put in a performance like he did with all his years of experience in top flight football then it is harsh to hammer a young lad with a couple of appearances under his belt. It would be difficult for him to come into a successful team let alone one with very low confidence levels. Give Daley time. Korey Smith looks full of promise and always wants the ball to feet. He was often ignored against Wycombe when he came looking for the ball, with the back four choosing to go long instead. The more players we get on the pitch with the confidence to actually want the ball the better. Also he only needs a couple of touches to decide what he wants to do not ten or twenty touches which is Hoolahan''s downfall. Wes is decent but doesn''t move the ball quick enough to make an impact. Cody is very raw but you can see he has a good brain on him and he will learn fast.

???? he must have done something right to get the chance you know, if i turned up at Colney and said i want a game, i woulnd''t get it.........

[quote user="Gingerpele"]???? he must have done something right to get the chance you know, if i turned up at Colney and said i want a game, i woulnd''t get it.........[/quote]..... Have you tried?[*-)]

There is no way you can judge a new youngster in the team after only one full game agaisnt a good premier league team, and a couple of sub appearences.  You can clearly see he has pace, and pace is something every team is looking for in League 1.  If he can then learn how to finish in the proper leagues, not just reserve team football then he will be great.  Then comes the strength which every player needs but his sort of player is more than capable than handling themselves without strength, look at Huckerby, he was never strong, one of the biggest wimps I have ever seen on the football field.

If you put a youngster in a team that is settled with other players with a bit of nouse and experience you can see what he''s made of.  Putting youngsters in amongst that disorganised rabble that we''ve had so far this year doesn''t do them any favours and hardly gives them the chance to show what they can do.  To judge them on a few appearances under these circumstances is ridiculous.  They need nurturing and giving a few games here and there to show what they can do.  They certainly don''t need the more brain-dead supporters of ours putting them under unnecssary pressure.  Give them time and space to develop. 

[quote user="Dronny Canary"]If you put a youngster in a team that is settled with other players with a bit of nouse and experience you can see what he''s made of.  Putting youngsters in amongst that disorganised rabble that we''ve had so far this year doesn''t do them any favours and hardly gives them the chance to show what they can do.  To judge them on a few appearances under these circumstances is ridiculous.  They need nurturing and giving a few games here and there to show what they can do.  They certainly don''t need the more brain-dead supporters of ours putting them under unnecssary pressure.  Give them time and space to develop. [/quote]

A nice bit of sense!! Well said.

I thought Daley looked much better on the right - he had a wing to run down and put in two or three great crosses. I agree, though, that he was not ready for first team action - and hopefully Lambert sees that too. I think he would benefit greatly from a loan spell outside the league.

I watched the game on telly , thought he played quite well but got shoved off the ball easily but im guessing he will learn how and when to be stronger.

[quote user="John"]I think it is safe to say Daley''s hattrick against the against the Arsenal reserves gained him his contract, and most probably not much else helped him earn it (unless he was given it prior to that game. If so, feel free to correct me). It has been said before that besides his pace, he doesn''t have much else to his game, which is probably true.Daley will probably fail in all honesty (can''t say yet though of course). But even if he does, i still reckon it was worth a punt as pace can take you far in football. It''s then a case of building up your abilities that support that. If he doesn''t succeed in that respect it''s not a big loss to us.As for Renton it was more circumstances that have seen him faulter rather than anything else. When he was signed up he showed a lot of promise. Was running the youth team with a ton of goals, and was shown to be dealing with himself far more professionally than Martin. But, obviousy, as most know, he suffered a massive injury and that can often be enough to ruin a footballers career, especially when it involves someone of the young age of Renton.Renton wasn''t initially a mistake, he held a lot of potential, but now, truth be told, he has very little chance of making it as a league footballer. Sometimes these things just happen in football though, however unfortunate they are.I also think you need to give players like Habergham, Stephens, Smith, Adeyemi, Rudd, Steer and Dumic time to show you what the youth system is capable of.If none of them turns out becoming a regular in our side, or leaving us for 350k+, you can call the youth system whatever you want.[/quote]

I agree with John. The chances are that most of the players that come from the academy will follow a similar path as Jarvis, Crow etc, but i think its good to have a manager who at least gives them a chance, as every now and then we may produce one who can add to the first team or get a bit of money through transfer.

Is Bally Smart still with us? I remember him being talked about a bit a couple of seasons back but have heard nothing since

[quote user="Northern Canary"] I agree with John. The chances are that most of the players that come from the academy will follow a similar path as Jarvis, Crow etc, but i think its good to have a manager who at least gives them a chance, as every now and then we may produce one who can add to the first team or get a bit of money through transfer. Is Bally Smart still with us? I remember him being talked about a bit a couple of seasons back but have heard nothing since[/quote]

Bally Smart was released last year.

[quote user="Iwans Left Foot"]

Why?

Maybe picking him out is unfair. As the only player that looks good is TA. And at a push K.Smith.

[/quote]

Presumably you didn''t see the Wycombe game then ? He looked rather better than "good at a push".

Give The Boy Time, He Will Soon Improve. And You Can''t Expect The Other Youngsters On The Team i.e Dumic, Habergham And Stephens To Come Up And Be Amazing! They Have Only Just Come Up From Playing People Their Own Age. I Was Amazed At How Daley Lasted The Whole Game, I Though Lambert Would Have Subbed Him But He Didn''t! That Shows Something To Be Honest.