Sign in to follow this  
nycanary

Too much sentimentality here

I think there''s a little too much sentimentality on this board. We all love our team and the players who bleed yellow and green, but sometimes, we are really allowing it to come in the way of good judgment.

The reality is that players come and go. Hey, I''m still mourning the loss of Dave Watson, Chris Woods, Robert Fleck etc etc but what can you do?

Specifically, with 20/20 hindsight, I think, we, as a board have been not been pragmatic enough in our evaluation of:

a. Svensson. Prior to the season there were screams that he should be dropped followed by big chants of support saying that he was definitely good enough. If early season form is an indication, then the naysayers were right -- even tho they were called out as moaners before the season.

b. Malky. He has been a great great player for Norwich but now, in the Prem, he was marginal and certainly wasn''t going to get any better at his age. With the versatile squad we have now, with his contract running out, and with youngsters needing space to shine, this was the right move for the club. And frankly, it was the right move for Malky to continue his international career. Not having a chance to prove himself is not the point -- you can''t afford giving peoeple that in the Prem. You have to make decisions and I, for one, am glad that NW did so -- even though I was surprised.

c. Roberts. Great fan favorite and legend. But shouts now for his return after his form for Gillingham laughs in the face of the obvious talent jump from Div 1 to the Premiership.

d. Holt. Another NCFC rock. He''s had a hard start to the season and with Safri and Mullers returning from injury, first team action might be reduced for Holty. From the performances I''ve seen of him this year, I would give someone else a go. While his commitment has never been questioned, he has proven to have a less than adequate first touch, below standard passing and questionable speed. Any suggestion to the contrary is ignoring the proof on the pitch. It''s possible he needs more time to adjust but that''s the only excuse.

Anyway, there are smaller examples of how we are letting our personal feelings and history for the players rule our judgment. Being pragmatic doesn''t mean we''re betraying our heroes -- it just means that we want our club to stay in the Premiership and reach greater heights in the future.

I am thrilled that Worthy is making the decisions that he is. He is being level-headed and clear about the direction he wants to take the club in. Ask yourself the question: Within reason, which other managers would you prefer to have as our man? Go, Worthy, go.

My two cents.

NY  you make "sentiment" sound like a rude word.

If we are, as we thought, a "friendly" club then there should be room alongside business and finance for some sort of human feeling.

All the sentiments expressed here have been instinctive and a product of aligning  closely with a team that has brought us to the success we now have.

Any departure therefore will naturally produce the sentiment you apparently dislike.

I agree with every word of that. Emotionally, losing Malky is hard - but that''s why I love Norwich, and more widely, football - it''s rife with passion. Malky was never going to cut the mustard in the Premiership but he has definitely achieved Canary greatness.

I''m very much looking forward to seeing Shackell sitting on the bench regularly. Well done Worthy, and as is my self imposed punishment, I would like to repeat that I never rated him in the beginning - I''m so happy he''s proving me very very wrong.

Jim -- it''s not about sentiment being a "rude" word. For us all, we can always talk about the stars that are no longer here. Remember the goals scored; the commitment put in. None of that gets minimized by looking at things pragmatically.

The problem I find is that I think there''s too much of the "he''s a good bloke and he''s put in a lot for the club, let''s keep him around" feeling.

While your sense of our "friendly" club is definitely one of the reasons we all love the team, that form of progressive capitalism simply doesn''t exist in today''s Premiership. I honestly wish it did (everywhere...not just in football) but it doesn''t and if we don''t act appropriately, then we will end up back in Div 1.

Worthy''s challenge in this particular regard is clear. How does he keep team spirit sky high while making tough decisions that may not go down well in terms of morale with the lads?

With the exception of not being able to nail down a striker before the window closed (a concern that he would admit to as well), he has done a masterful job. He''s bringing in good players. He''s making tough decisions to let people go. He''s not being rushed into blooding Shackell, Jarvis and Henderson too early. He sees that while Leon and Matt did a great job for us last season, we need better talent in the premiership. He knows our backline needed to get younger and better and hence the Mackay for Doherty swap. And he knew that given tight finances, it would be unreasonable to keep Iwan on the payroll.

NY - great post.

Breath of fresh air.

This whole affair has got to be a win : win : win - hey that one more than usual so can''t be bad.

Win for the Club - wages freed up, and an income for a player nearing contract renewal.

Win for Malky - gets to play regular 1st team football - biggish club with realistic promo potential

Win for Shackell - heir apparent now a further rung up the ladder.

Threw another one in for good measure.

Win for Sentiment, yes Sentiment - why - well frankly, at best Malky was going to sit on the bench all season - this has got to be kinder to him and his dignity, international chances at this late stage.

Fair points all and i understand the decision. But i repeat what i said at the top of the messages for malky post - yes the realities of football are harsh but that does not mean we have to treat people harshly and without any kind of respect or appreciation. Nothing wrong with a bit of gentlemanly conduct towards another true gent who has done much for the club in getting us to where we are now.

If that''s sentimental, so be it, shoot me! 

I would like to see Shackell given a chance, i saw him play wed night he was good in the air & didnt give anything away.

We cant keep the same players forever no matter what.

ny canary and all others who think there is no room for sentiment in our beautiful game

that''s why none of you cried at cardiff then! 

The day the departure of someone like Malky fails to move me is the day i stop going to football and go shopping instead.

Malky has been treated with immense disrespect and i for one am sick at heart this week.  Sorry, some of us have hearts and won''t change. 

Great post nyc.

Malky has been a great servant to this club and he goes on his way with the best wishes of many, many Canary supporters ringing in his ears.

We all knew, when we were promoted, that there would have to be additions to the squad, both in terms of numbers and quality of players.  Any good manager should be constantly working his squad, trying to get the best out of whatever resources he has available.

This naturally means there will casualties along the way. On this occasion it was Malky, but, in my opinion, far better that, than to have a large squad that contains a number of players who actually have little chance of first team football, content with collecting their weekly wages.

in situations like this we have to trust worthington . if nothing else he has proved over the last 2 or three seasons that he can make difficult decisions and is prepared to stand by those decisions . this is just the single minded attitude which is needed to make norwich city good enough to stay in the premier league . worthy knows our strengths and weaknesses , and  realises that some of the players who helped to get us up are unfortunatly not good enough to keep us there . worthy cant afford to be sentimental , this league is tough and he knows it , and he has made decisions in the past which has in every case , made us stronger as a result . in fact he reminds me of fergie at man yoo in that way , and that has to be a good thing .

I suppose what makes it hard to accept in Malky''s case is that he gave great service to Norwich, without holding the club over a barrel at contract renewal time.  Something that could not be said of Iwan Roberts.

The reality of the situation, however, is that even at Nationwide level Malky''s pace was suspect and at 32 years old he was not going to improve in the Premiership. Let''s face it in nine months time he could leave the club on a free.

Thank you Malky for your 100% effort for the Canaries and the very best for the future with West Ham. How about another couple of goals against Ipswich ?

i am not going to win friends here but this is how i see it. malky was instrumental in getting us into the premiership, a real boys own hero scoring not one but two vital goals against ip****e. he improved his level of fitness by miles and has become an automatic choice for his native country. he deserved at least a chance to show what he can do in the premiership and i hope he does get the chance even if it is with west ham. this is a decision that worthy might regret in the long run, time will tell. whats a fact is that we have a very small squad now so lets pray that we do not have many injuries in the months ahead!

Absolutely, Gazza the Great - emotions are a large part of what makes football - though to be fair I think we''d generally agree that in the normal course of events that rightly belongs more on the fan side of things rather than the managerial side. 

However, for example I don''t even think it''s sentimental to discuss and decide a senior player''s departure with them face to face rather than announcing it while they''re away, just respectful.  Again, surely it''s not sentimental to retain an experienced player who doesn''t necessarily want to leave & can''t even be replaced for 3 or 4 crucial months, in a squad of limited depth, at a club of restricted means. 

Fair play to the club for obtaining 300 grand for -with all due respect to a great footballer and a smashing chap- an older player who cost 350 three years before, and agreed we need more cash to bolster both our defence and our strikeforce with quality additions, but even though Worthie said it''s going in the transfer kitty, we can''t actually spend it. 

Well, that''s just my opinion and apologies to one & all if the precise circumstances described above don''t actually apply in this case - obviously I''m only going on the modest information available to the public, but drawing different lessons from the saga to those drawn by some others.

I am firmly in the "GazzaTheGreat" and "Rainbowchaser" camp - Malky''s departure was badly handled and was done for the wrong reasons, (I am not going there again), and that''s what leaves a nasty taste  

As for all the justification about Malky''s age etc, etc - we have just signed two players who are older than Malky, (Helvig and Charlton), so please stop using that as justification.

Malky was "Captain Braveheart" and we will be a poorer Club without him.

Good post NY, I must admit that i posted a request that Malkie would be given a chance to show his paces in the prem after seeing him, gain an extra yard in the recent internationals, he was indeed a tower of strength for Scotland.  His past efforts, and will to do well for us has never been questioned.  You are right that sentimentality has never had a place in business. 

It seems that Worthy has decided that youth and speed and class must replace what has gone before ,I cannot argue with that judgement, always assuming that we can afford it.  From reports it seems that Malkie is pleased with the outcome and the board is pleased with the little bit of money that will replenish the coffers at Carrow Road.

I for one am pleased that the deal has been made amicably for both sides and wish to say that Malkie deserves all our good wishes for his future.  In doing so I can only say that in terms of effort and commitment alone he will be a hard act for anyone to follow. OTBC!!!!

[quote]Good post NY, I must admit that i posted a request that Malkie would be given a chance to show his paces in the prem after seeing him, gain an extra yard in the recent internationals, he was indeed a ...[/quote]

I got a feeling the word amicably is out of place here !

Re Malky - I think its good to have a manager who strives to improve the team and move players on. Its just the timing of it that bothered me, couldn''t it have waited till January when the window opens.