Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Canary

Players that you rated that didn't quite make it...

Or what about the opposite viewpoint....ie players YOU thought were pants,but others liked them,or the manager used to give then a place,inexplicably ,every week?

I''ll start the ball rolling with......Keith O''Neill.

[quote user="Canaries Canary"].... or everybody else thought was a bit sh*t.

I was always impressed with David ''Smudger'' Smith. Tidy midfielder with a bit of flair about him. Product of our youth system who we sold after only a handful of apperances.
[/quote]

Akinbiyi

[quote user="canari francais"]

Or what about the opposite viewpoint....ie players YOU thought were pants,but others liked them,or the manager used to give then a place,inexplicably ,every week?

I''ll start the ball rolling with......Keith O''Neill.

[/quote]

Every week? Keith O''Neill? It seemed to me that he never played more than two consecutive games due to one niggling injury or another.

"Alex notman, two footed, good technique but one of the unluckiest players i''ve ever seen. Think he only ever scored once for us but seemed to hit the woodwork everytime i saw him play. Then obviously had his career ruined by injury. Met him in the city once, top bloke."

There are a few bits about him in Iwan''s diary, as they were friends, if you are interested. Also, in Ferguson''s memoirs (as read by a friend), Fergie never stopped banging on about how good he was. Shame.

[quote user="JimRoyle"]When Lee Power burst onto the scene with a flurry of goals in the early 90s we all thought he was going to be a big star. Whatever went wrong?
[/quote]

What you on about lee power was quailty for us!

I second Gaetano Giallanza, or however it''s spelt. He looked brilliant in his first game, and was hopeless after that. Then got injured, and left.

Also, Marc Libbra. One great goal, and nothing else. Saying that, i know absolutely nothing about his career either pre or post-Norwich.

[quote user="First Jedi"]"Alex notman, two footed, good technique but one of the unluckiest players i''ve ever seen. Think he only ever scored once for us but seemed to hit the woodwork everytime i saw him play. Then obviously had his career ruined by injury. Met him in the city once, top bloke." There are a few bits about him in Iwan''s diary, as they were friends, if you are interested. Also, in Ferguson''s memoirs (as read by a friend), Fergie never stopped banging on about how good he was. Shame.[/quote]

Best wishes to Alex Notman

Main Discussion - Norwich City

Best wishes to Alex Notman

Sports Desk - Pete 19/11/2003, 11:32 AM
Such a shame that someone with so much talent and potential has had to retire at such a young age, and all from blocking a free-kick!

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do Alex.

Bring Back The Yellow Nets

Re: Best wishes to Alex Notman

Maidstone Canary 19/11/2003, 11:54 AM
It is indeed a sad day when one so young has to retire due to injury. I was really looking forward to seeing Alex back in the team this year, but alas it is not to be. All the very best to you Alex, in whatever you decide to do next.

On the plus side for Norwich - do we get any insurance payout because of the injury and wages released to help sign one or more of the current crop of loan players?

Kevin at Maidstone

Chip20 19/11/2003, 12:22 PM
I''d like to pass on my best wishes to Alex too. I''m gutted for him to be forced out of the game at his age and with his ability. I''m disappointed for Alex and for the club, and wish him the best in whatever he moves on to do.

Confucius say..."Don''t quote me"

Karl Pilkington 19/11/2003, 1:01 PM
It is very sad. No body tried as hard as Alex, and was the victim to as many saves of the month.

And don''t anybody forget who it was that wipped the cross in for Iwans header at Cardiff!!!!

Good Luck for the future Alex

jon francis 19/11/2003, 1:01 PM
Are you the same two faced fans which have been criticising Alex on here before he decided to retire

kennyfoggo 19/11/2003, 4:01 PM
Yea I have seen several posts around the boards critising the guy..saying what a waste of money he is... I am not naming names.. so nothing personal if you posted you will know.

It is sad he was a clever little footballer who we never got the chance to see the best of...

All the members of Carrowroad.net and the forum wish him the best for the future in whatever he choses. as long as he doesn''t work for a certain place down the A140 lololol

I would Rather be Peed Off..than Peed On

Karl Pilkington 20/11/2003, 9:50 AM
Not me Guv!! I was always a fan of little notmans. Had loads of potential and could have done well.

Sports Desk - Pete 20/11/2003, 9:54 AM
Nor me - this is possibly my first ever post in a non-administrator role!

Bring Back The Yellow Nets

silver fox 21/11/2003, 4:24 PM
I never thought that Alex was given an extended run in the team to show what potential he really had. Sadly we will never get the chance to see that potential realised now. Hopefully the club could offer him a job, possibly with the youngsters, as I believe he would be a good role model for those coming up through the academy.

Old Boy 21/11/2003, 5:25 PM
The pity is that I''m sure he would have thrived in the current team, alongside quality players. And that it happened as a result of the commitment to the team that he showed at Ipswich. Come on PFA, earn your money and take care of him.

Andy Johnson (the midfielder, not the diving poison dwarf). When he destroyed Ipswich in that 3-1 win (he scored twice), I thought he would go on to be a regular premiership midfielder, possibly even play for England. He looked like a great box-to-box midfielder. He''s had a good career at Championship level, but I thought he''d do so much more.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Andy Johnson (the midfielder, not the diving poison dwarf). When he destroyed Ipswich in that 3-1 win (he scored twice), I thought he would go on to be a regular premiership midfielder, possibly even play for England. He looked like a great box-to-box midfielder. He''s had a good career at Championship level, but I thought he''d do so much more.

[/quote]

I may be remembering this completely incorrectly, but weren''t he and Carl Bradshaw involved in an incident with a cabbie? His career seemed to go downhill pretty rapidly after that...

Unless i dreamt it, of course.

Danny Crow for me, remember Fleming doing a artical in the press in about 2002/03 saying how good he looks and what a star player he will become.

This is a good thread - i''d like to add

Keith O''Neill for sure when he first broke into the team he was simply awesome and made Eadie look very average all of sudden.

Phil Mulryne looked very very good before he broke his leg after his leg break he was simply a good championship player but to be fair he was simply lucky to still be playing.

Forbes was a bit of enigma brilliant one day rubbish the next.

Chris llewellyn was another that got away - I don''t know him but got the thought that he lacked confidence in his own ability if he had the attitude of say a Bellamy he might have followed Bellamy to fame and fortune.