Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

GCSE Results Today - Good Luck

[quote user="leedscanary"]

Well done all you young uns!

Banana - make sure you get something good off ya Dad for your success!

[/quote]

cheers, well im looking for mopeds at the moment otherwise its the bus to school each morning!!

but tonights meal out will do for now [:D]

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="leedscanary"]

[/quote]

cheers, well im looking for mopeds at the moment otherwise its the bus to school each morning!!

[/quote]

Just don''t let him near the dartboard [:P] [Y]

Well done.... the first time this season we''ve been able to celebrate some great results.Now promise me you''ll all head off to City College to find out how they can further your ambitions.

[quote user="Ciderkidd"]My reward for my results - more household chores and responsibilities. Not even a meal out! Life is shit sometimes [:|][/quote]Cheers Ciderkidd, I can tell my son it applies to all kids post GCSE now.

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="Ciderkidd"]My reward for my results - more household chores and responsibilities. Not even a meal out! Life is shit sometimes [:|][/quote]Cheers Ciderkidd, I can tell my son it applies to all kids post GCSE now.[/quote]Haha, please don''t tell him who I am! [:P]

Well done to all you youngsters who did well today.  The media is full of stuff about pass rates being higher because the exams are supposed to be easy.  I know how hard kids have to work for their success and they are put under more pressure than ever before.  Hope you all get the success you deserve in the future as well!

It really riles me up, politicians completely out of touch with the world who say that they''re easier - they sure aren''t! We are put under so much pressure to get good grades, sometimes in the risk that we get more marks for an exam rather than be taught proper stuff. It needs to be sorted out, but good luck to all those fellow GCSE-ers [:)]

Well done all. Good to hear boys are at last beating girls in Maths... they say it''s all down to the coursework going but it was only worth about 10% anyway.Just my advice to anyone going on to start AS Levels - be prepared to hit the ground running. I got all A*''s and A''s at GCSE but made a bit of a loose start at sixth form. Thankfully it didn''t cost me in the end but it''s a fair step up (in my opinion, I know some disagree) and one you have to adjust to quickly. Once again though well done. [:D]

[quote user="leedscanary"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="leedscanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Leeds you never came acroos as a trouble maker, I bet it was you who encouraged the Millwall/West Ham fans![;)]

New song. After tuesday''s black night against Millwall becase, today I got some

great news and I''ve made up a song to go with it, (not quite Elton John

stuff yet but....).

I''m so proud

I''m so proud

I''m so proud

i''m so proud

I''m so proud

I''m so proud.

I''ve got twins, one boy and one girl who both got their GCSE results

today. I presume that none of you have two to worry about today?

Believe me it''s frightening, I cried for 2 minutes with them when they

walked in the door with their results. Both of them had gained enough

passes to stay on at school to do A levels. God knows what us parents

would have done if one had enough marks to carry on at their school and

the other had to leave. How do you deal with that?

You had to get 42 points to stay on. We knew that our daughter would

breeze through and, she did, with 5 ''A''s and all the rest were ''B'' s.

no problem. However, my son had dyslexia as a young child and it''s

always been harder for him. At his mocks he had 39 points, mum and dad

quietly feared for the worse, even though they had both put in 2 months

revision. As I said earlier, when he came into the house and said that

he''d got 50 points, I cried. I knew how hard it had been for him in all

the time that he had been at school. The sheer relief that they could

both stay on was overwhelming. He''d got E for German but with his

earlier dyslexia, not relevent. He got a C for Geography and the rest

were mainly ''B'' with a couple of ''A''s thrown in. I was then able to go

off to watch Essex ccc v Leicester ccc and my day continued to go well

as we stacked up 517-9 dec. and they were 80-2 with Dipenar getting 0.

Hope all went as good as possible for your kids, I''m a great believer

in, "you get out of life what you put in, I''m proud of my two tonight.

Cheers

Andy.

[quote user="leedscanary"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="leedscanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

he told me about that [:D]

When do your kids go back? My twins go back next week to start "A" levels after recieving their GCSE results this week. It seems a remarkably short period of time between them. What happens to any kid who failed one of the subjects that he wanted to continue with to "A" level? Presumably, he''s got to decide on a different subject to take, all within one week? Is there a smaller gap between the two this year and why?Andy. 

Really glad things came off for your kids Andy. When i passed through the door with my GCSE results in hand last year my parents reaction was similar to that of yours. I was told by my guidance counselor i was likely to only get C or above in up to 3 subects, yet i turned out with 5 C''s, and 4 B''s (2 of them literally within a couple of marks of an A annoyingly), so my family were certainly delighted (though i must admit i was a little disappointed in myself as i let my attendance go severely off the rails, pretty much leaving it all to do in the last few weeks).It can be really difficult with dyslexia as a hinderance in academics. I suffer from a form of it myself, as i tend to show difficulty in structuring my sentences appropriately (or as it was given to me at the time "a sufferer of syntax difficulties"). Before my ''issues'' had been identified i was told a fair amount of my work, in terms of the content, contained A/A* quality, but until my use of grammar was consistently proper and sufficient i was going to have serious trouble in my work. I''ve never really got past the problem of course, but i''ve managed to get the grades required of me so far, so i''m happy enough. And it sounds as if your son really isn''t letting it get the better of him, to which he deserves absolute heaps of credit. [Y]As for when i''m going back to college, it''s September 10th. For people who have only just missed out on their requirements for a subject (for example "required a B in Art, but got a middle/high C") i''ve known colleges willing to make a slight exception to allow them onto the course. If they''ve sufferred a bit of a blow i remember being asked about a back up subject when selecting my courses (but despite my youth, don''t make the mistake of taking me for someone who''s memory serves him well...[;)]).And as far as i know there isn''t a smaller gap between GCSE''s and A levels, though again, it would seem i can''t providen you with an assured answer on that.[:$]

I think there is a smaller gap this year, last year my results were on the 21st August (my memory is strange) but this year my AS results day was the 20th, and the GCSEs a week after. I thin kthey should do it the other way round really, cos it''s a bigger decision deciding what o do at A level that was to continue doing to A2 level.

Yes but remember AS results are on the same day as A2 results. They need to come out with some time to spare because of university offers, the clearing system, adjustment system etc.Most schools/sixth forms seem to be going back quite late this year anyway.

John,Hi mate, thanks for your reply, yeh, it''s a massive relief for the parents too''aint it? With regards to beating the predicted grades, how brilliant is that? It happened to my twins and I know that they got an enormous amount of self - esteem from smashing what the school had predicted. Do you know, when my son started his current school, we offered to tell his teachers about the dyslexia that he had suffered from but, he was hopefully, making excellent progress from. I was chuffed when he turned round to his parents and said, "mum, dad, please give me your word that you will never tell any teachers at my school, I want to try and compete with them on an equal basis." Your structuring of sentences sounds somewhat similar to my son''s. It was beginning to improve big time until, texting and the like came along and now, the old man that I am, I can''t understand what their talking about half the time!Both kids going back to their same old school to do their "A" levels, one of the biggest reliefs of my life, possibly even including West Ham moments, no, maybe not!!!! God knows how we would have coped if only one of them had achieved the necessary results to stay on whilst the other had to try and attemt to get into a college! John, thanks again for your nice words, congrats on your previous, hope all goes well with your future.AndyWHUFC, no, better not say that after this last week.