Sign in to follow this  
Lineo

How do you say 'Alnwick' ?

I''ve heard a variety of ways of saying Alnwick,from ''Aln-wick'' to ''Annick''WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY!?!

Its ''Annick''... I was using ''Aln-wick'' until Monday when my Sunderland supporting mate corrected me... he came up through their youth academy, so I''ll take his word for it...

The Commentator On The Football League Show Always Calls Him Aln-Wick. And Theo, Theo-Klee-Tis. Sooooooooo Annoying!!! Plus I''ve Heard A Wes Hoolihaaan

Annick it is - but just a mile or two down stream from the town and on the coast is the little village of Alnmouth. Pronounced I was told as "Allan-mouth".

[quote user="Binky"]Annick it is - but just a mile or two down stream from the town and on the coast is the little village of Alnmouth. Pronounced I was told as "Allan-mouth".[/quote]Yep, that''s correct. I used to work in both Alnwick and Alnmouth.

[quote user="Lineo"]I''ve heard a variety of ways of saying Alnwick,from ''Aln-wick'' to ''Annick''WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY!?![/quote]Annick is the correct pronounciation.  There is also a small town just north of Newcastle with the same Alnwick name and the same ''Annick'' way of saying it.  i dont know if its a geordie way but that is the way everyone is saying it. He aparently was born in the Northumberland town of Prudhoe which would explain the pronounciation being like the place name, Alnwick.

[quote user="barclay_canary"][quote user="Lineo"]I''ve heard a variety of ways of saying Alnwick,

from ''Aln-wick'' to ''Annick''

WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY!?!
[/quote]

Annick is the correct pronounciation.  There is also a small town just north of Newcastle with the same Alnwick name and the same ''Annick'' way of saying it.  i dont know if its a geordie way but that is the way everyone is saying it. He aparently was born in the Northumberland town of Prudhoe which would explain the pronounciation being like the place name, Alnwick.
[/quote]

Indeed, and the castle there is where the title shots and a lot of scenes were shot for the first Blackadder series. 

Originally, at least, his ancestor came from Alnwick (of castle fame) in Northumberland, probably. In which case it''s An-nick.

[quote user="Sam-NCFC"][quote user="Binky"]Annick it is - but just a mile or two down stream from the town and on the coast is the little village of Alnmouth. Pronounced I was told as "Allan-mouth".[/quote]Yep, that''s correct. I used to work in both Alnwick and Alnmouth.[/quote]And many, many years ago I stayed at a friary there as a guest for a week. A more different bunch of individuals within one community it would be hard to imagine....and the sea was ruddy freezing!

[quote user="SNAP"]Think its pronounced - A L N W I C K. Hope this helps![/quote]GTFO.

In the county of Wymondham, Happisburgh and Costessey, I guess anything''s possible... Perhaps Alnwick is pronounced ''Shackleton'' or Bananarama?

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="olej"]neil adams just calls grant holt grant though. so what does he know[/quote]

dont forget "mickey" Spilane
[/quote]

And the problem is ??????

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]

[quote user="barclay_canary"][quote user="Lineo"]I''ve heard a variety of ways of saying Alnwick,

from ''Aln-wick'' to ''Annick''

WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY!?!
[/quote]

Annick is the correct pronounciation.  There is also a small town just north of Newcastle with the same Alnwick name and the same ''Annick'' way of saying it.  i dont know if its a geordie way but that is the way everyone is saying it. He aparently was born in the Northumberland town of Prudhoe which would explain the pronounciation being like the place name, Alnwick.
[/quote]

Indeed, and the castle there is where the title shots and a lot of scenes were shot for the first Blackadder series. 

[/quote]

It is definitely pronounced ''A-Nick'' as in the town of Alnwick (very local to me).

Mac P, Alnwick Castle has been used in films/tv on more than one occasion including, Blackadder, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and perhaps most famously as Hogwarts in Harry Potter.