Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

Why the NCISA witch hunt?

As a rank and file member I am somewhat confused by what appears to be a coordinated witch hunt against NCISA . I have been keeping tabs on the AGM thread and have been amazed at some of the abuse and insinuations being thrown at both the organisation and it''s elected officers.

For the uninitiated, NCISA is open to all City supporters and costs peanuts to join. It''s officers all work on a voluntary basis, but if people out there have such a big problem with it, surely the answer is to join up and attend the AGM and see if your viewpoint holds sway in a democratic forum, rather than taking anonymous swipes on a messageboard?

I''ve not read any of that, or participated, but I always got the impression the NCISA was a bit of a joke compared to other supporter group such as the Capital Canaries who are just as independent, much bigger and less officious - elected "officers"... haha!

But like I said - I don''t really know, so please inform me at your pleasure!

I don''t think anyone is throwing abuse at them to be fair. I just think certain people have questions and these questions are being met with trepidation (sp?) and are not being answered in the correct manner.

It isn''t as clearcut as saying ''well if you don''t like them join them''

Someone who will remain nameless said that I was the problem and they were the solution, I have been a Norwich fan for near on 20 years have attended games for the best part of 15 years, I follow my club through thick and thin and will never desert them. Can anyone with an ounce of intelligence please tell me what is the ''problem'' with that? and who says the solution is joining such groups as the NCISA?

Good luck to any people who follow this route, I certainly have no gripes with you or any other Norwich fan for that matter.

I have a lot of time and respect for you Beausant as a voice of reason on here, but to be honest I think you''re barking up the wrong tree.LQ asked a simple question regarding the forthcoming elections which were not mentioned in Tillys'' original mail.  I had no idea that the elections were forthcoming as a non-member, I''m sure others didn''t either.  You might find the group expanding now as a result as more people might take an interest in the upcoming elections.  From what I could see most of the posts seemed to be having a go at LQ, Butler seemed to be jumping to the defence of no-one in particular, and had he let the question get an answer without jumping in, the rest of the thread may have taken a different course. there were 5 posters who you could argue took a viewpoint other than pro-NCISA in that thread, and I include me in there who simply asked a question.I can understand why people on the NCISA might feel defensive, they do put themselves above the parapet, which means that they can become a target for frustrations when things are going less well at the club.  I genuinely feel that maybe they''ve been quite defensive regarding some fairly basic questioning on this occasion.  I think Ankles made a good point regarding the possibility of it becoming a closed-shop with the committee not changing as often as it could, he got short shrift as a reply.  None of this encourages people to join.

[quote user="refjezhitchin"]

I don''t think anyone is throwing abuse at them to be fair. I just think certain people have questions and these questions are being met with trepidation (sp?) and are not being answered in the correct manner.

Someone who will remain nameless said that I was the problem and they were the solution, I have been a Norwich fan for near on 20 years have attended games for the best part of 15 years, I follow my club through thick and thin and will never desert them. Can anyone with an ounce of intelligence please tell me what is the ''problem'' with that? and who says the solution is joining such groups as the NCISA?

Good luck to any people who follow this route, I certainly have no gripes with you or any other Norwich fan for that matter.

[/quote]

Nor me with you. I''m not trying to come down on one side or another, just trying to get my head round the level of antipathy to what is simply a supporters'' group, something which took a rather more worrying turn with the verbal (and very nearly physical) abuse of John Tilson. If people want to join NCISA fine, if they don''t equally so. I suppose my problem is people with no first hand knowledge of the organisation describing it''s members as "jumped up little shites with nothing better to do than cause trouble for NCFC" (and I accept that quote didn''t come from you). As a supporter of over 40 years standing I take great exception to being so described.

"jumped up little shites with nothing better to do than cause trouble for NCFC"

If people with no first hand knowledge of the organisation are coming to such conclusions about it, Beau, then maybe it''s time for the organisation to start asking itself why.

I have very little knowledge of the NCISA, but, in all honesty, from the little i do know of their track-record, and from reading the comments of some of their members on this forum, i can''t really bring myself to disagree with the above description.

The holier-than-thou attitudes of certain members certainly doesn''t help...

[/quote]

I personally don''t find you a problem[:D]

NCISA probably are not a solution for you as you don''t seem to have a problem.

I have tried to answer you questions as has John  certainly not with any trepidation.

I have supported the club for 50+years and there has been a good deal of thin as well as a little thick.

The idea of NCISA in my opinion was to offer a co-ordinated voice for those fans who needed it. Sometimes it is difficult to be heard when you are on your own.

It cannot represent all views as we know every supporter has a different slant on the player/match/season/club/board etc.but again in my view tries to offer a concensus of opinion. That concensus has an avenue to the officials of the club. If they listen or not well who knows.

Some people seem to have a seperate agenda of attack on NCISA why I have no idea. No one press gangs fans to join and at £3 for three year membership hardly breaks the bank and does give access to club officials at arranged forums. (McNally on the 10th) that alone in my view is worth a quid!!

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="refjezhitchin"]

[/quote]

Nor me with you. I''m not trying to come down on one side or another, just trying to get my head round the level of antipathy to what is simply a supporters'' group, something which took a rather more worrying turn with the verbal (and very nearly physical) abuse of John Tilson. If people want to join NCISA fine, if they don''t equally so. I suppose my problem is people with no first hand knowledge of the organisation describing it''s members as "jumped up little shites with nothing better to do than cause trouble for NCFC" (and I accept that quote didn''t come from you). As a supporter of over 40 years standing I take great exception to being so described.

[/quote]

To be fair beausant that quote did come from me, but I would like to retract that now and apologise to anyone who may of been offended by it...however saying that the quote I was trying to make may not be too far from it, just less offensive.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I have a lot of time and respect for you Beausant as a voice of reason on here, but to be honest I think you''re barking up the wrong tree.

LQ asked a simple question regarding the forthcoming elections which were not mentioned in Tillys'' original mail.  I had no idea that the elections were forthcoming as a non-member, I''m sure others didn''t either.  You might find the group expanding now as a result as more people might take an interest in the upcoming elections.  From what I could see most of the posts seemed to be having a go at LQ, Butler seemed to be jumping to the defence of no-one in particular, and had he let the question get an answer without jumping in, the rest of the thread may have taken a different course. there were 5 posters who you could argue took a viewpoint other than pro-NCISA in that thread, and I include me in there who simply asked a question.

I can understand why people on the NCISA might feel defensive, they do put themselves above the parapet, which means that they can become a target for frustrations when things are going less well at the club.  I genuinely feel that maybe they''ve been quite defensive regarding some fairly basic questioning on this occasion.  I think Ankles made a good point regarding the possibility of it becoming a closed-shop with the committee not changing as often as it could, he got short shrift as a reply.  None of this encourages people to join.
[/quote]

Jumping to the defence?

I just could not understand why, and still don''t, LQ who has stated her antipathy towards all NCISA should be concerning herself with information about an election she would not bother to attend or stand for.

To me that is hypocrisy and that was what my post tried to indicate. Or do you buy into the "just asking for the common good" theory?

Still I am sure your white charger needed the exercise[:D]

Hi Jez, Blah and Beau,

You may not all be aware that I am a committee member of NCISA so I will say that up front.  Having met two of you and corresponded via message boards with all three you will know I don''t agree with you all the time.

I equally don''t agree with John, Kathy or the other committee members all the time which lends itself to healthy debate, but always as with any committee a meeting to a viewpoint which can be agreed upon going forward.

NCISA is unique amongst all the supporters groups in that it was formed to represent any supporter who wished to join regardless of their wish to invest in the Club (shareholders, Associate Directors etc), where they reside (Capital, Northern, Norwegian etc), or a particular one topic manifesto to follow (The Trust, Kitty etc).

Its membership fee is low £2 so as to enable all to join who so wish, and with lifetime membership at £30 this can equate to a few pence a year for supporters who follow their club from the cradle to the grave.

Now I expect to be criticised as indeed I criticised NCISA in the past.   I don''t expect to be threatened or abused as happened to John and Kathy last week, and I would have sought out stewards or police in that situation (particularly as I would have had children with me)

Now whether you chose to drink with John or go with himto matches, the one thing that comes across is that he is passionate (as most fans are)  about NCFC and for that he gives a lot of his time, and so do others.  Fair enough they choose to do it and you may have other things to do with your time - also fair enough.  So why is there this constant sniping and abuse of John and NCISA - I wish I knew.

It is the way of the world to criticise others and people always will and message boards allow this to be instant and remote.  Some of the posts last night were late and no doubt stirred by the emotion of the game and the oiling of wine and beer.

On the specific starting point - the ONLY people who needed to be made aware of the rules regarding nomination were NCISA members and this was done by one to one direct communication in a clear fashion.

I do not know how to get elected to the Pulham Market Alottment Holders Association Chairmanship and never expect to find out, and I will steer clear of message boards discussing it!

PS - Anyone want my place on the committee please send in your form - it''s a lovely job really.

[quote user="refjezhitchin"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="refjezhitchin"]

[/quote]

Retraction accepted! I really do understand the point that yourself and Blah are making, and I''m not necessarily looking to defend NCISA, on the subject of whom I am, to be honest, pretty indifferent. I know that Tilly can be outspoken and that that winds some people up, but it concerns me when he has to endure what happened at Brentford, and unfortunately that reaction is, in my view, the culmination of a long and very subtle anti NCISA campaign that has been waged on here since the St Andrews Hall meeting.

[/quote]

To be fair beausant that quote did come from me, but I would like to retract that now and apologise to anyone who may of been offended by it...however saying that the quote I was trying to make may not be too far from it, just less offensive.

[/quote]

[quote user="Face"]

Hi Jez, Blah and Beau,

You may not all be aware that I am a committee member of NCISA so I will say that up front.  Having met two of you and corresponded via message boards with all three you will know I don''t agree with you all the time.

I equally don''t agree with John, Kathy or the other committee members all the time which lends itself to healthy debate, but always as with any committee a meeting to a viewpoint which can be agreed upon going forward.

NCISA is unique amongst all the supporters groups in that it was formed to represent any supporter who wished to join regardless of their wish to invest in the Club (shareholders, Associate Directors etc), where they reside (Capital, Northern, Norwegian etc), or a particular one topic manifesto to follow (The Trust, Kitty etc).

Its membership fee is low £2 so as to enable all to join who so wish, and with lifetime membership at £30 this can equate to a few pence a year for supporters who follow their club from the cradle to the grave.

Now I expect to be criticised as indeed I criticised NCISA in the past.   I don''t expect to be threatened or abused as happened to John and Kathy last week, and I would have sought out stewards or police in that situation (particularly as I would have had children with me)

Now whether you chose to drink with John or go with himto matches, the one thing that comes across is that he is passionate (as most fans are)  about NCFC and for that he gives a lot of his time, and so do others.  Fair enough they choose to do it and you may have other things to do with your time - also fair enough.  So why is there this constant sniping and abuse of John and NCISA - I wish I knew.

It is the way of the world to criticise others and people always will and message boards allow this to be instant and remote.  Some of the posts last night were late and no doubt stirred by the emotion of the game and the oiling of wine and beer.

On the specific starting point - the ONLY people who needed to be made aware of the rules regarding nomination were NCISA members and this was done by one to one direct communication in a clear fashion.

I do not know how to get elected to the Pulham Market Alottment Holders Association Chairmanship and never expect to find out, and I will steer clear of message boards discussing it!

PS - Anyone want my place on the committee please send in your form - it''s a lovely job really.

[/quote]

few points face:

a) Surely its a case of treat people how you expect to be treated yourself - Now I know the abuse John (not kathy) recieved last week was over the top, but I''m talking about the discussions held on this message board and beyond, just to give you a few examples

1) LQ and Ankles have both asked legimate questions, both have been met with agressive replies non helpful replies.

2) John has offered to come and discuss the NCISA with me personally at the Cricketers next tuesday, to since I have accepted this invitation however John has posted 2 or 3 times after this, yet not accepted my proposal. I don''t for one second suggest John is now hiding under a rock, I just question whether he was anticipating a different response from me after his propsoal. Is it any wonder people have these ''views'' about the NCISA?

b) I don''t know how to get elected to the ''Pulham Market Allotment Holders Association Chairmanship either'' and like you I don''t expect to find out, but then again this isn''t the PMAHAC Message Board, so it wouldn''t be discussed, however the NCISA and this message board are related due to the football club, so therefore it is worthy of message board discussion!

[quote]On the specific starting point - the ONLY people who needed to be made

aware of the rules regarding nomination were NCISA members and this was

done by one to one direct communication in a clear fashion.[/quote]I consider this to be an opportunity missed by your organisation to involve non-member fans and improve membership.  I can''t speak for the motives of others in that thread but assume that their motivation was the same.  For the record I think you all do a good job of representing fans concerns in the main.I do not condone physical or verbal abuse towards anyone, sadly there are idiots in the world.  I think it''s important to separate the two incidents here, as no-one who has asked questions of your organisation was involved in that regrettable incident.  I also feel that letting someone have both barrels on here for asking questions and then using an unrelated incident as a reason for doing so is a bit rubbish.

[quote user="The Butler"]

Jumping to the defence?

I just could not understand why, and still don''t, LQ who has stated her antipathy towards all NCISA should be concerning herself with information about an election she would not bother to attend or stand for.

To me that is hypocrisy and that was what my post tried to indicate. Or do you buy into the "just asking for the common good" theory?

Still I am sure your white charger needed the exercise[:D]

[/quote]LQ had a question to ask of Tilly.  If you had let Tilly answer the question instead of jumping and questioning her motivations then the whole thread would have been a lot friendlier in my opinion.  Maybe LQ should have sent him a personal message.  If all NCISA members had been informed of this meeting and the elections then why is it neccesary to put the meeting details on here ?  Answer : To engage non-members.  If it is felt neccesary to put the details of the meeting on here, why not also mention the elections, which may also engage non-members ?I guess the reactions shown depend on your definition of "being helpful".  But then it also depends on your definition of inclusivity.

Another thing, this is a thread from footballwriter.co.uk re: NCISA and rebate

In particular, it (NCISA) urged all season ticket holders to reclaim the rebate that came with relegation - a move that could force the club into finding upwards of £600,000 this summer should its 18,250-strong season ticket base all demand a refund of up to 20% on the cost of their season ticket now that they were being ''sold'' the prospect of watching Yeovil at home next season.

An organistation which has been said to support the club financially especially the academy - Great, the NCISA deserves credit for that, but then for them to ''urge'' Norwich fans to claim the rebate, means they are effectively making the club lose money if fans did indeed listen to the NCISA.

So in one sense good that you are giving money to the academy but on the other hand its very hypocritical for you then to turn around and effectively take money away from the club.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]On the specific starting point - the ONLY people who needed to be made aware of the rules regarding nomination were NCISA members and this was done by one to one direct communication in a clear fashion.[/quote]

I consider this to be an opportunity missed by your organisation to involve non-member fans and improve membership.  I can''t speak for the motives of others in that thread but assume that their motivation was the same.  For the record I think you all do a good job of representing fans concerns in the main.

[/quote]

To be fair Blah we are tied to a constitution agreed 13 years ago, unless it is changed democratically at an AGM or EGM.

As always I now have to say that as the current committee we have to abide by that and protect the existing membership in the first place.  There are formal rules on length of membership and over nomination procedures that make NCISA a correctly governed association rather than a well meaning bunch of people on a night out.

That constitution does mean that a non-member would have to join over the next year and consider standing next year as they are too late for this year.  Harsh but fair to all.

This is an AGM for the existing membership and not a recruiting drive. 

Thanks for the support though :o)

[quote]That constitution does mean that a non-member would have to join over

the next year and consider standing next year as they are too late for

this year.  Harsh but fair to all.  This is an AGM for the existing membership and not a recruiting drive.  [/quote]Quite sensible - it would be a bit strange if someone turned up at a a meeting with all their mates, they all paid 3 pounds on the door and then voted one of them in I suppose [:)]  However - in telling people about all upcoming events, you are seen to be transparent and inclusive, which will improve attendances and membership in my opinion.  With an organisation totalling 500, in a potential audience of 25,000, every opportunity should be taken to recruit.As I say an opportunity missed - but I''m sure there will be others.Keep up the good work :0)...

To be honest Beau I''m a little confused by your mention of a ''co-ordinated witch hunt'' to describe questions raised by around three posters on an internet forum [^o)]. I could equally suggest that there appears to be a witch hunt against a certain poster, who we now know remains an NCISA member until the 31st August 2009, co-ordinated by certain members of the NCISA. I''ve never really felt the need to stick up for this poster before but the sheer amount of stick she has to put up with compared to others with significantly more extreme views is, quite frankly, rather unpleasant.

As far as I can make out one of the main problems is that the NCISA, rather than more specific groups such as Capital Canaries/Northern Canaries etc, are expected (rather unfairly in my opinion) to provide a voice for all fans. The organisation obviously has a constitution which needs to be adhered to and which means that they can only really represent the views of their members. But at the same time they obviously want to increase membership and so occasionally ask the views of non-members on here. I think that this can lead to non-members feeling that the NCISA represents all fans and that is where some of the problems begin.

I''m not a member but is it OK for me to question what the NCISA get up to? I very much doubt that the queries raised by LQ would have been dealt with in such a rude manner if I had asked them. In all honesty the way that certain members of the NCISA behave on here when presented with even the mildest criticism would make me very reluctant to join. But at the same time, as a non-member, it''s really none of my business.

Thanks Blah,

To be fair the reason John advertised the AGM on here was not really as a reminder to the members but more to invite non-members to come along and see what we are about in the formal business if they so wish, OR to come for the forum with David McNally and Ricky Martin.

If there is a recruitment message or an advert that is it!

So can I give you a lift?

Maybe I am misinterpretating what you''re saying face, because in one post you''re saying its not a recruitment message, but in the next you are saying it is.

What is it to be?

Oh Jez don''t start being obtuse or we''ll descend into our usual arguments !!

You can read as well as I can so don''t be selective either - I said that we let people know about the AGM in case they want to see what we are about (you will not be refused admission) although you cannot take part (the constitution), or you can come along and wait till the formalities are over and then come in to hear David McNally  and Ricky Martin.

Personally I''m not too fussed about Ricky Martin but am looking forward to hearing what the Chief Executive has to say.

(Oh before others start saying I''m being rude to Jez, I knew him before he did tricks with Skodas so he''ll let me off)

[quote user="face"]If there is a recruitment message or an advert that is it!  So can I give you a lift?[/quote]If I can make it, I''ll drive. [:)]

[quote user="FACE"]

Oh Jez don''t start being obtuse or we''ll descend into our usual arguments !!

You can read as well as I can so don''t be selective either - I said that we let people know about the AGM in case they want to see what we are about (you will not be refused admission) although you cannot take part (the constitution), or you can come along and wait till the formalities are over and then come in to hear David McNally  and Ricky Martin.

Personally I''m not too fussed about Ricky Martin but am looking forward to hearing what the Chief Executive has to say.

(Oh before others start saying I''m being rude to Jez, I knew him before he did tricks with Skodas so he''ll let me off)

[/quote]

David, I''m not being obtuse, just think you should be more clearer, especially on a subject that is as important as this, you''ve summed it up now so that''s fine.

oh and Damn your ''non matching quote blocks in post'' with your name ;)

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

To be honest Beau I''m a little confused by your mention of a ''co-ordinated witch hunt'' to describe questions raised by around three posters on an internet forum [^o)]. I could equally suggest that there appears to be a witch hunt against a certain poster, who we now know remains an NCISA member until the 31st August 2009, co-ordinated by certain members of the NCISA. I''ve never really felt the need to stick up for this poster before but the sheer amount of stick she has to put up with compared to others with significantly more extreme views is, quite frankly, rather unpleasant.

As far as I can make out one of the main problems is that the NCISA, rather than more specific groups such as Capital Canaries/Northern Canaries etc, are expected (rather unfairly in my opinion) to provide a voice for all fans. The organisation obviously has a constitution which needs to be adhered to and which means that they can only really represent the views of their members. But at the same time they obviously want to increase membership and so occasionally ask the views of non-members on here. I think that this can lead to non-members feeling that the NCISA represents all fans and that is where some of the problems begin.

I''m not a member but is it OK for me to question what the NCISA get up to? I very much doubt that the queries raised by LQ would have been dealt with in such a rude manner if I had asked them. In all honesty the way that certain members of the NCISA behave on here when presented with even the mildest criticism would make me very reluctant to join. But at the same time, as a non-member, it''s really none of my business.

[/quote]

There''s not much there that I disagree with Shack. I guess that the LQ (and I accept your point about someone else raising the queries)issue comes down to one''s personal viewpoint. My own is that she has an anti NCISA agenda and likes to stir the pot at every opportunity. That said, I agree that some of the stuff fired at her is over the top, but no more so than supporters singing "Tilson is a c**t" at Brentford. We are all supposed to be on the same side for Christ''s sake!

PS On an internet forum three is a crowd and four is a mass movement[:P]

In particular, it (NCISA) urged all season ticket holders to reclaim the rebate that came with relegation - a move that could force the club into finding upwards of £600,000 this summer should its 18,250-strong season ticket base all demand a refund of up to 20% on the cost of their season ticket now that they were being ''sold'' the prospect of watching Yeovil at home next season.

An organistation which has been said to support the club financially especially the academy - Great, the NCISA deserves credit for that, but then for them to ''urge'' Norwich fans to claim the rebate, means they are effectively making the club lose money if fans did indeed listen to the NCISA.

So in one sense good that you are giving money to the academy but on the other hand its very hypocritical for you then to turn around and effectively take money away from the club.

[/quote]

Do you honestly think a single person kept their rebate because NCISA told them to?  The majority of people kept their rebates, so that would suggest that NCISA called it right and reflected the views of the majority of their members which, in a nutshell, is what they are about.  Unless you believe they should back the minority viewpoint when making decisions??

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="refjezhitchin"]

[/quote]

Do you honestly think a single person kept their rebate because NCISA told them to?  The majority of people kept their rebates, so that would suggest that NCISA called it right and reflected the views of the majority of their members which, in a nutshell, is what they are about.  Unless you believe they should back the minority viewpoint when making decisions??

[/quote]

I don''t think the NCISA called it right I''m afraid, not when they are trying to raise money for the club, then equally would back a measure for people to take money away from the club....

and no I don''t think people kept their rebate just because the NCISA told them too, but i doubt it helped.

at [quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]What I didn''t understand about that was why they felt it necessary to comment at all - you''ve just admitted that their opinion on the matter wouldn''t be listened to, so why say anything about it ?  As far as maintaining links with the club go, I feel that this was an own goal.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]at [quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

What I didn''t understand about that was why they felt it necessary to comment at all - you''ve just admitted that their opinion on the matter wouldn''t be listened to, so why say anything about it ?  As far as maintaining links with the club go, I feel that this was an own goal.
[/quote]

Well the club rely on them!(second highest scorer last season)

So an association that represents their members opinion should not express that opinion in case they offend someone.

That''s even good for you Blah.

As everyone keeps saying the NCISA membership is only about 2.78% of the total season ticket holders, so most reclaimed because they wanted their money back and felt that what they ended up paying for, 3rd division football, was more than enough

Anything else you want to lay at NCISA''s door?

I became a member specifically to make recommendations for beneficial changes, or at leastwhat i feel are beneficial.

As with NCFC board i feel the old guard need to step aside & let fresh blood in with new impetus.

The obvious response to this is every member can put themselves up for election so a suitable candidate has every chance of election. I refute that and prefer a forceable life period for each committe member so change HAS to happen

If it is seen as a witch hunt by some sensitive soles i really don''t care, i didn''t join to make friends

[quote]So an association that represents their members opinion should not express that opinion in case they offend someone.[/quote]I believe it''s called choosing your moments Butler.  I''m as entitled to that opinion as they are to theirs on the issue, and as you are of mine.[quote]Anything else you want to lay at NCISA''s door?[/quote]This reactionary and parochial attitude is exactly the problem Butler.  You aren''t actually on their committee, but have appointed yourself a guard dog, and you are going them a dis-service in doing so.  Now be a good dog and stop digging will you.