Sign in to follow this  
bristol_canary

Norwich fans in Bristol

[quote user="Scot-e-dog"]I live (and work) in Stoke Gifford, north of the city centre.Lived in Bristol on and off since 1990.OTBC - interested that you spend the week in Munchen.  Are you talking Munich here?  I lived there for 4 years (1998-2002).  Had a ball.[/quote]Yes, sorry. I''m working on a project for my company at BMW. During the week I have a flat in Schwabing, it''s a nice place. I expect to be here until November but there''s a possibility the work may be extended beyond that. I know the surrounding area reasonably well but with being home at the weekends and long hours I''ve not had too much chance to explore. Do you have any recommendations? Last weekend I spent here I went to Pilsen-see, stunning.

Yup - Certainly went to both Exeter and Yeovil. (Even camped it for Exeter)

There is bloody loads of us on here. I don''t mind organising a meet but to be honest we''re better off just posting like this on the messageboard to get co-ordinated now we know how many of us there are. I don''t have preference on venue but prefer clifton village, or WLR. Certainly confuse the local gas/sh*t to see a bunch of canaries in a bar somewhere.

[quote user="OTBC"][quote user="Scot-e-dog"]I live (and work) in Stoke Gifford, north of the city centre.

Lived in Bristol on and off since 1990.

OTBC - interested that you spend the week in Munchen.  Are you talking Munich here?  I lived there for 4 years (1998-2002).  Had a ball.
[/quote]

Yes, sorry. I''m working on a project for my company at BMW. During the week I have a flat in Schwabing, it''s a nice place. I expect to be here until November but there''s a possibility the work may be extended beyond that. I know the surrounding area reasonably well but with being home at the weekends and long hours I''ve not had too much chance to explore. Do you have any recommendations? Last weekend I spent here I went to Pilsen-see, stunning.tion.
[/quote]

Ive been to Munich a fair bit, and would recommend a trip to Fussen. Its a few hours and you can catch the train from Munich station.

There are several  Castles in Fussen (a short bus-ride from the train station) which are fantastic. Schloss Neuschwanstein (the fairy tale castle from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) is breathtaking and was built by a Mad King Ludwig II !!

You can also take trains to Austria (I forget where) and see Hitler''s Nest (a hideout/castle based high up in the mountains and featured in Band of Brothers) which I hear is supposed to be awesome.

In Munich itself the HofBrau Haus (BeerKellar) is awesome and is packed full of Munich supporters before home matches. Its also worthwhile going out to the Old Olympic stadium (for obvious reasons :)

Hope that helps.

[quote user="PaulyH"]Yup - Certainly went to both Exeter and Yeovil. (Even camped it for Exeter) There is bloody loads of us on here. I don''t mind organising a meet but to be honest we''re better off just posting like this on the messageboard to get co-ordinated now we know how many of us there are. I don''t have preference on venue but prefer clifton village, or WLR. Certainly confuse the local gas/sh*t to see a bunch of canaries in a bar somewhere.[/quote]

Im in!!

[quote user="OTBC"][quote user="Scot-e-dog"]I live (and work) in Stoke Gifford, north of the city centre.Lived in Bristol on and off since 1990.OTBC - interested that you spend the week in Munchen.  Are you talking Munich here?  I lived there for 4 years (1998-2002).  Had a ball.[/quote]Yes, sorry. I''m working on a project for my company at BMW. During the week I have a flat in Schwabing, it''s a nice place. I expect to be here until November but there''s a possibility the work may be extended beyond that. I know the surrounding area reasonably well but with being home at the weekends and long hours I''ve not had too much chance to explore. Do you have any recommendations? Last weekend I spent here I went to Pilsen-see, stunning.[/quote]Crikey, where do I start?In Munich itself, you''ve got some great beer gardens.  My favourite was the ''Jazz Beer Garden'' - great beer, great food and live music.  It''s about a 10-15 minute was from the Grosshesselohe Isartahl Bahnhof (no seriously) S-Bahn station.  The world''s biggest beer garden is in Munich - it''s called the Hirsch Beer Garden and is along Arnulf Strasse from the Hauptbahnhof.  The beer garden at the Chinese Tower is also good in the English Garden.The Olympic park is worth a visit (I watched England beat Germnay 5-1 there - great days).  Schloss Nymphenberg on the west side of the city is good if you like castles.  The science museum is huge (if that type of thing floats your boat, then plan to spend a whole day there).Further afield, Regensberg is a fantasitc, ancient city (and there a amazing sausage ''hut'' on the river).  Augsberg is also good if you like old cities and stuff like that.  A trip on Starnbergersee is fun - the lake cruises are very touristy.As has already been mentioned, a trip to Austria is good.  We used to like to take friends to Lichtenstein - just to say you''ve been there!If you''re there with the missus, then a trip to the Steiff teddy bear factory should not be missed (I can''t remember exactly where it is but it''s about an hour west of Munich - Google it!).That''s enough to be getting along with.Ooh - Oktoberfest of course! Don''t go on a weekend - too busy.  Take some time off work and pitch up at lunchtime mid-week.  My flat was 5 mins walk from there.  God, I miss it.

[quote user="OTBC"]I live in Bristol, next to St George''s park. Think the only thing for it is a meet up for a drink at some point? Preferably at the weekend though as I''m in Munchen during the week![/quote]

Next to St George park eh? I live just down the road, off Church Rd near the Wetherspoons. It''s a small world etc.

I''ve actually met quite a few City fans in Norwich over the years. Quite a few involved in the club scene as it happens.

[quote user="Sell By Dave"][quote user="OTBC"]I live in Bristol, next to St George''s park. Think the only thing for it is a meet up for a drink at some point? Preferably at the weekend though as I''m in Munchen during the week![/quote]

Next to St George park eh? I live just down the road, off Church Rd near the Wetherspoons. It''s a small world etc.

I''ve actually met quite a few City fans in Norwich over the years. Quite a few involved in the club scene as it happens.[/quote]Small world! Unfortunately have split up with my girlfriend so taking leave of Bristol for the time being, Munich seems safer right now! I trust you''ll all meet up for the MK Dons game? I''ll be the lone city fan in Killians!

Sorry to hear that OTBC.I''d forgotten about the MK game till I saw this thread. People up for a low key (Its a Monday night don''t forget) meet up for a little beer and footy?I''m still living in Sea Mills but happy to pop over the downs to anywhere in Clifton on in between.

[quote user="PaulyH"]Sorry to hear that OTBC.I''d forgotten about the MK game till I saw this thread. People up for a low key (Its a Monday night don''t forget) meet up for a little beer and footy?I''m still living in Sea Mills but happy to pop over the downs to anywhere in Clifton on in between.[/quote]Forgot to add suggestions:GreyhoundRoo BarClifton Sports Bar

I actually came in the other direction and moved to Norfolk when I came out of the RAF.  I originally came from Mangotsfield and my sister lives in Downend so I do visit from time to time especially when we played Bristol City.  As a kid I went to watch Rovers and City depending who was playing at home.

RooBar next monday night?

I''m in!!

I''ll check they''re showing it first and then post over the weekend/mon morning to set up a time etc.

Will wear my Norwich shirt for easy identification!

On the ball city!!!

Not at all, wear that Hux shirt!!!!!!!

Rovers away is indeed scarily similar!! Have had to do a double take a few times when watching that cr*ppy Football league show and tuned in half way through.

[quote user="Blainsey"]

Not at all, wear that Hux shirt!!!!!!!

Rovers away is indeed scarily similar!! Have had to do a double take a few times when watching that cr*ppy Football league show and tuned in half way through.

[/quote]I''ve got the vintage NCFC shirt that was half white and half light blue.I wear it whenever I go and see Rovers play and everyone thinks it''s actually a vintage Rover''s shirt.  I even wore it on the pitch when my lad was mascot for Rover''s and no one questioned it.I believe that San Jose shirts are lucky.  The only time I''ve worn mine in Norwich, I actually met Hux in Castle Mall.  His son recognised the shirt and came over for a chat, soon to be followed by his dad.  I was awestruck and acted like a 5 year old.  Anyway, San Jose shirt is therefore fine as it''s lucky.

[quote user="delboycanary"]will u be there blainesy[/quote]

Yes I''ll be there. Centenary shirt with MacVeigh on the back.

Be good to put some faces to the names!!!

I have something in common with Cary Grant. We both lived in Montpelier. One of my regrets though was I never saw the ''gas'' at home as they played at Bath. I did get down to see B. City now and again (Andy Cole) but never really warmed to the ''slave-traders''. Good place Bristol especially St Pauls/Montpelier. After my tear there I was posted to Plymouth, that is another story..........

I''m down the M4 in Swindon, but hopefully I will be visiting my parents in Weston-super-Mare so that I can catch that Bristol Rovers train. It''s a pity more teams don''t do it, I used to love travelling on those ''football specials''