Sign in to follow this  
Hackney Canary

The reaction to the possibility of Lambert...

...from some on here (might as well have kept Gunn; Peter Grant all over again; lightweight option of a board lacking in ambition) suggests to me a reason why Norwich City - as a football club - is in a spot of bother. I''m not saying it''s going to be Lambert (I haven''t got a clue) and I''m not saying those who criticise his potential are wrong. I am saying that the sequence of calamitous managerial appointments by the board allied to a certain amount of impatience on the part of us fans, has led to a situation where unless the board bring in a proven performer with a relatively big name (and let''s face facts, the idea that Coppell or Strachan were ever going to come here was a non-starter) the successful individual is going to be cut very little slack. He''s going to have to get success pretty much immediately otherwise the pressure (and the panic: league two, league two) will grow and grow. The crowds will grow restless (and we''ve had success in recent times of getting rid of managers we don''t like), ticket sales will dwindle, season tickets will be returned or not renewed. And so, and so on, and so on. Unless we get this appointment right - and unless the manager gets his share of luck - I fear we could find ourselves in a nasty little downward spiral which will be very difficult to get out of unless we throw a whole lot of cash at the situation. Perhaps, Mr Cullum - if you''re out there - your time is now... Anyway. Perhaps I''m being excessively gloomy and perhaps Mr McNally is currently in negotiations with someone entirely unexpected and it will all come out in the wash, starting with three points away to Brentford tomorrow night...Thoughts?

Yes you are probably right , if we appointed a name i think the fans would cut him a bit of slack though ,  after 3 terrible managerial appointments i think everybody was at least expecting  Boothroyd or a Dowie. If it is indeed Lambert i think an awful lot of people are going to find it hard to take, replacing Gunn after one game with another fairly inexperienced manager with nothing much on his cv is asking for even more trouble.

Grant had no experience did he? Lambert does and has over 40% wins at his last two clubs. Small clubs with smaller budget than us and current squads not as good as our under performing one. I''m  starting to sway.

gunn had 29% .. but then again if you take his tally from when he put his own team together it would be alot higher ..

i hope it is not lambert yet it would not surprise me with the norfolk version of east enders ..!!

My point wasn''t so much about who the right man might be, more about whether the man, whoever he is, will be given any sort of time to make an impression before the pressure starts to build. McNally himself has said the only objective is promotion. Say for instance, the new manager has a bad couple of months - what then? Already some are sharpening the knives for Lambert, and he hasn''t even been appointed. At what point do we as a club press the ejector button? And what might that mean for ongoing morale of team, supporters etc, not to mention the reputation of the club? My contention is that we are on the edge of being in a pretty serious situation (revolving door of managers and players leading to decline) and we might all do well to think on how best that can be avoided...

I find it amusing that people say we''re on the verge of a downward spiral, what have the last 5 years been?

I''m pleased it brings a smile to your face. Rather than quibbling over semantics and timescales, how about trying to address the issue in the particular context of a new manager coming in about whom many appear already to be underwhelmed...

bleh.

Trying to be positive but it''s hard.

Seems like he bring s a good record fromt he last couple of years. Lets hope it continues.

I still feel like there could be boos ringing out in our near future tho.

I like his approach and recent stats. I''ll remain open minded as I always do. Took me a while to see the Gunn situation for what it was. If it''s Lambeth then I''ll applaud until appalled! I certainly won''t bring agendas or politics into my response to the new gaffa and his influence (unlike many who are sharpening their sabres as we speak).... 10.02 am Smudger and co announce a press conference to tell us all how hilarious we are for giving a monkeys about the new appointment and how naive we look. Keep it buttoned boys - we just don''t care what you think about our relationship with our club.