Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

The "We need a big name" myth

Various posters seem to be gutted that we didn''t hire Gordon Strachan or Steve Coppell.  Well, who was Mike Walker before he managed here ?  Who was Dave Stringer ?  And they were the most successful bosses we''ve ever had !  Even Martin O'' Neill came to us from Wycombe Wanderers !  And before he was their boss he sold insurance !If you take Paul Lamberts win rate at his last 2 clubs and place it in the list of our managers over the last 20 years, the top 3 looks a bit like this...1 - Martin O Neill - 46.2 %2 - Paul Lambert - 42.2 %3 - Nigel Worthington - 40.7 %4 - Dave Stringer - 38.9 %5 - Mike Walker - 38.5 %Now to be fair to the other blokes they managed at a higher level, but the point is that the poor performing managers that we''ve had have only managed win rates of between 25 and 33 %, so you can see that Lambert isn''t one of those.  I''m cautiously optimistic that Lambert will bring in a capable management team with him, who should be able to mould the players we have into a top 6 team before the end of the season.

Great post blah.  I think Lambert probably has what it takes to do a good job, I don''t want to jinx him now, but it could be an inspired appointment.  I''m still unsure over it though.It just proves we don''t need a big name, or one perceived to be, we need someone who is a proven winner.

Interesting. That''s put one positive onto the appointment. I''m still rather underwhelmed though - would have loved it to have been Sean O''Driscoll or somebody.

I am worried that the board have chosen him over the basis of one game (The 7-1 win, obviously). Although, they probably haven''t - as I hope McNally has more sense than that.

Having said this. I do remember watching the managment team against us when they scored a goal. The passion shown throughout the bench and delight when the ball went in the net really was something special. We haven''t had a manager like that for a while - Gunn just sat their and didn''t move. Hopefully Lambert will get off his seat more and shout to the players, which is a good thing imo [Y]

Yeah - I must say I''m surprised at people using his win average as a complaining point. Looks pretty decent to me!

[quote]I am worried that the board have chosen him over the basis of one game

(The 7-1 win, obviously). Although, they probably haven''t - as I hope

McNally has more sense than that.[/quote]McNally was at Celtic at the same time as Lambert, he''ll know him to have a winning mentality I suspect.  I found it interesting from reading his wiki that he is one of the few non-Germans to have got his coaching badges from Germany.  We all know about their approach to the game from World Cups and European Championships, the German coaching doctrine will be based upon getting results.

[quote user="Common Sense"]

Amazing, someone on this site who actually posts something that is INTERESTING and POSITIVE.

[/quote]Oh, now you''ve done it, this will fly straight down to page 2 now [:)]

Good post blah, we`re not going to row about this one [;)].  Would have loved Coppell but was never going to happen.  Let`s hope i witness the start of a long and glorious reign in West London tonight......

A really good post Blah. Thanks for the research.

Lambert is an up and coming manager and as posted elsewhere is well respected.

He''s one for the future too. Much prefer him to the Adkin or O''Driscoll type names being floated. This guy has played at the highest level and is a serious coach.

I think we will find his approach is very similar to Bowkett and McNally so interesting times ahead.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Good post blah, we`re not going to row about this one [;)].  Would have loved Coppell but was never going to happen.  Let`s hope i witness the start of a long and glorious reign in West London tonight......[/quote]Cheers Mr.C I must admit that it makes a refreshing change for us to go out and get our man aswell - the Doomy 3 week process used to annoy the hell out of me, and always seemed to deliver blokes who could talk a good game but never found their fatal character flaws...To be honest I''ve been a bit naughty with his win ratio, dropping the Livingston figure, but even if you include that he''s up there at 37% or so, which is still a good return.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]A really good post Blah. Thanks for the research.

Lambert is an up and coming manager and as posted elsewhere is well respected.

He''s one for the future too. Much prefer him to the Adkin or O''Driscoll type names being floated. This guy has played at the highest level and is a serious coach.

I think we will find his approach is very similar to Bowkett and McNally so interesting times ahead.[/quote]We did ok out of a previous ex-Wycombe manager, Lambert would have worked under Martin O Neill at Celtic too.  I have a good feeling about this.

Only just got into the office so I''ve come to this rather late. leaving aside those who would have sneered had we appointed Fabio Capello, it seems that a lot of people are underwhelmed. I have to say that my first reaction is that this is a great appointment and 10 out of 10 to the board for getting this done so quickly. Lambert was a great player who was always prepared to push himself, for example the move to Bayern when he could have had it easy in the Scottish prem. He''s got a good football brain and he''s hungry. More importantly he''s not someone else''s cast off, but an active manager whose team are currently top of the league.

Great post Blah, but there is another name you didn''t mention. A certain John Bond was virtually the same age as Lambert when he came here, having only managed in the lower leagues, and was seen as a bit of a gamble. I seem to recall that he did OK!

Cautiously hopeful for me - he has all the right attributes to take this club to where we want to go.   It may not work out but he has advantages over Gunn and Grant in that he at least has managed & coached and unlike Roeder still has the need to prove himself, not just prove he is the big I am...

Now - which colchester players would he bring with him???