Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Formations - again!

Not that i''m trying to blow my own trumpet here but i''ve been banging on about trying Francis, Safri AND Holt on the field together in a 4-5-1 for yonks. We saw those three on the field yesterday to good effect in the second half but in a diamond apparently, accodring to sky, with Francis at the top and Safri at the bottom.

But come on Worthy, that''s your conservative appraoch coming through again. Good though this was defensively, it gave us few options attacking wise with Huckerby once again to far apart from Doherty in the first half at least, no width, and only Francis as an attacking threat from midfield. There was little attacking outlet which meant the ball kept coming back at us in the first half and against more clinical sides (Arsenal!) the game would have been over in the first half. We can''t keep turning up after 45 minutes.

Stick Leon or the Doc up front with Hucks and Bentley alongside supporting him and dropping back to help out in the middle when needed as they did yesterday.

That gives you the defensive protection in midfield, keeps the safri holt francis trio AND gives you width and other attacking dimensions.

COME ON WORTHY - BE A DEVIL!!

I thought it was Bentley at the tip of the diamond, with Francis and Holt working between him and Safri. The formation struck a good balance - enough defensive cover (which, let''s face it, we need when away from home against the better teams in this division), whilst also allowing Bentley an opportunity to find space and exploit it. Ok, he didn''t have the best game yesterday, but he''s learning and I don''t think it''ll be too long before we really do see the best from him week in, week out.I wouldn''t say Worthy was being overly cautious, just sensible.