Sign in to follow this  
DH

Too short at the back!

Another brilliant match against Spurs for our boys, lets hope we can get our first win against Villa.

My only doubt is our back line. All four them are doing brilliantly but I really feel we need some height in there. Doherty has been great upfront and I feel he should be put in the central defensive area to give us someone MacKay-esque. Problem is who do you lose from the back four to make room for him and who do you put upfront? I think drop Edworthy and move Charlton/Fleming into there (can one of them play right back?) and give McKenzie a chance upfront with Hucks and even give Svensson another go, he must of learnt his lesson by now?

Without the height I think we could easily lose a few games by the opposition actually getting a couple of target with the head.

What do you guys think?

With more height, would we lose more mobility though? I thought the lads yesterday did very well and would keep it as it is.

I don''t think this is as big a problem as you think.

Yesterday our back line were fine in open play - and can call Doherty back at set pieces - when we might be more vulnerable. (PS Was a bit worried when Doherty went off).

There seem to be less forward lines with height in the Prem than in Div 1 - reflects the more mobile type of play. So far, after 5 games - have we seen a lot of central forward height? Crystal palace perhaps and the Toon.

Against teams with height - then start Doherty or even Shackell at the back.

We keep a clean sheet and you want to change to defence?Drop Edworthy ? Unbelievable! Let''s drop Green while we''re at it too....Let''s stick with the best back four even if isn''t the tallest. From what I''ve seen Charlton does pretty well in the air.

On paper it looks like we lack height at the back, but we dealt with alot of corners and crosses really well today. There aren''t too many teams with big strikers (shearer caused us alot of problems) but I don''t think its too bad really, if doherty comes back for corners it helps as well

As Strachan said on MOTD2 the reading of the game by Fleming and Charlton makes up for the lack of inches and as I have said before how many teams carry a real aerial threat - not enough to worry abuot breaking up what looks like a solid central pairing.

Yes we did keep a clean sheet yesterday but there were flaws in our defence, mainly out wide. Jukebox looked nervy while Eddies distribution was poor and if Eddie is not supporting attack as he does superbly we may as well have Helveg in cos he can at least pass to a city player - so I would agree with drop Eddie, but not atthe expense of Charlton or Fleming moving out of the centre. However some of their performance was down to the increased exposure of not having wide midfielders providing extra cover.

Stick with Drury, Helveg in on Sat.

OTBC