Sign in to follow this  
Lambert Revolution!

Lambert - Offered Job without Interview

Just found this on the U''s website, not sure if it''s been mentioned couldn''t find anything so I apologise if it has..The Norwich offer was strange because they

insisted that they had decided to offer Paul the position without

conducting an interview. Just find this a little odd, and a bit hastey? Opinions?

Definition of head hunting maybe? Agreed I would''ve thought an interview as a standard norm but McNally said he was his number one target. There may have been a lot of thought as to who he wanted here since he arrived in July, it just needed persuasion of the rest of the board to get rid of Gunn?

They probably saw what they liked at Carrow when he came.His team looked tidy, the fans loved him, his players responded well to him , also if you watch the fat boy rush Lambert is on his feet before the stewards get down, he puts himself in the frame and Fester just kinda watches confused.Just hope he doesnt bring that little *ker Lisbie with him

You don''t think we spoke to him first? This is our way of covering our own backs when we have clearly broken rules on asking permission to speak to other team''s managers.

But surely without interview the club could have only judged him from interviews with the media, meetings during games (7-1 defeat) and his statistics as a manager. Now yes, this may seem enough. But McNally said he wanted energy, fire, winning mentality, etc etc surely these are things that are demonstrated at interview? McNally may have found at the interview maybe he didn''t have the spart or charisma he was looking for? I Still find it odd

[quote user="OTBC"]You don''t think we spoke to him first? This is our way of covering our own backs when we have clearly broken rules on asking permission to speak to other team''s managers.[/quote]100% what i''m thinking, the club rang Colchester asking permission to speak to Lambert, and were put on "Hold" basically, during this time, or possibly before, it''s obvious IMO that we''ve spoken to the mna "illegally"

[quote user="d3sm0nd"]Definition of head hunting maybe? Agreed I would''ve thought an interview as a standard norm but McNally said he was his number one target. There may have been a lot of thought as to who he wanted here since he arrived in July, it just needed persuasion of the rest of the board to get rid of Gunn?[/quote]I remember when it was called poaching

Look what interviews have got us in the past, Mcnally wanted him and went and got him. Cant knock that IMO, lets hope he`s the right man for  where we are now. This is the most  decisive we have been in years and I hope it stays that way. 

Yeah, for real. What''s an interview going to achieve.

I intend to win matches. I''m going to buy football players who are going to play football and win matches. Blah blah blah.

Its not like normal employment, his record is out there to see already. You can watch games of matches to see his style of play. It''s more a question of do we want what he offers.

Would the fans care if someone gave a good interview, but their name was Fred Turnip. We would be like who????? Yeah, but he gave a good interview!

I just hope he''s more intelligible than Grant was. Sound on the video wasn''t great. As long as the players understand him I suppose.

Interviewing is the way to recruit a bank manager, not a football manager. Peter Grant was hired because he gave a great interview - and look how that turned out. Football managers work in the public eye, their record is in the public domain and it should be easy enough with a few phone calls to find out what their character is like. Whenever a vacancy comes up (all too often at our club) we can all come up with a list of names, and the pros and cons for them. What''s the point of treating it like a regular job, asking for written applications, two interviews etc. That was the Doncaster way - and good riddance to it.    

[quote user="Gunn Revolution"]Just found this on the U''s website, not sure if it''s been mentioned couldn''t find anything so I apologise if it has..The Norwich offer was strange because they

insisted that they had decided to offer Paul the position without

conducting an interview. Just find this a little odd, and a bit hastey? Opinions?
[/quote]Isn''t he hinting that maybe there might be more to it? Norwich would have needed the U''s permission to ask for an interview. In the end, we asked them for him. Reading between the lines, you could be left with the impression that Norwich spoke to him on the sly, although I wouldn''t believe for a moment that such a nice club could ever be capable of such an underhand act. Remember what happened with NI and Nigel Worthington?

All the failures in recent memory at this club gave "good interviews"... nice to see we know who we want and have got him.

Completely agree with the posters above, wtf is the point in a formal interview process. So someone can sweet talk Delia and tell her how sensational the cake she baked is. This is how we ended up with a string of useless managers. We are now operating like a club with pulling power, get the man we want and let the size of the club do the talking.

I can understand why Colchester are angry, i think it''s pretty obvious that we''ve gotten Lambert on the shady.

I''m not fussed we haven''t "interviewed" him though.

It surely was not all done over the telephone, was it? It''s only 60 miles or so to Colchester. Did no-one actually travel in either direction on Sunday or Monday?The matter will now go to a tribunal, which will normally split the difference between what we offer and what CU ask.I have to say that I am a little uneasy about the shape of it all, and I am not sure if the same "bull-at-a-gate" approach will work better than our "invite them to CR/Colney, introduce them to icon Delia, slap- up restaurant at a Broad-side inn, etc" approach to potential transfer signings.It looks as if CU are applying for some sort of embargo on players following Lambert during the next 12 months.

Lambert said (on Radio 5 about a hour ago) that he was approached on Saturday night.

He didn''t say who approached him, whether it was a direct call from Norwich or via Colchester.

The Colchester Chairman said he got called by Bowkett at 5.15pm on Saturday and was asked if Norwich could "appoint" Lambert as manager - not asked if Norwich could talk to him.  In that respect, you have to say the ground work had to have been done well before Saturday, and however it was done an approach made to Lambo before, yes before, Gunn was sacked on Friday.  As soon as Lambo gave a warmish reply to the approach on Friday, McNally knew he had his man, and was thus happy to sack Gunn immediately.  Everyones first reaction on hearing Gunn was sacked was that someone must have been lined up, and I believe Lambo already was.  However the FL formalities over approaching the club had to be gone through so the delay until Sautrday night.  Norwich wil probably yet get stung on compo but c''est la vie - welcome to succesful football methods.

[quote user="shefcanary"]The Colchester Chairman said he got called by Bowkett at 5.15pm on Saturday and was asked if Norwich could "appoint" Lambert as manager - not asked if Norwich could talk to him.  In that respect, you have to say the ground work had to have been done well before Saturday, and however it was done an approach made to Lambo before, yes before, Gunn was sacked on Friday.  As soon as Lambo gave a warmish reply to the approach on Friday, McNally knew he had his man, and was thus happy to sack Gunn immediately.  Everyones first reaction on hearing Gunn was sacked was that someone must have been lined up, and I believe Lambo already was.  However the FL formalities over approaching the club had to be gone through so the delay until Sautrday night.  Norwich wil probably yet get stung on compo but c''est la vie - welcome to succesful football methods.[/quote]

Well according to Lambert the first he knew about it was on Saturday night, ie. after the call by Bowkett.

But he did have an interview

This from ColU chairman

[quote] “On Monday morning, Paul was understandably frustrated by the failure of the clubs to reach an agreement and he informed me that he was finding it difficult to focus on his role at Colchester United.

“For that reason I agreed that Norwich could interview Paul but could not offer him employment or in any other way directly or indirectly induce him to breach his contract with Colchester United until they had agreed compensation with us.

“I met again with Paul last night and he handed me his resignation. This morning both Ian and Gary have also provided the club with written notice.[/quote]

[quote user="canary cherub "]

Lambert said (on Radio 5 about a hour ago) that he was approached on Saturday night.

He didn''t say who approached him, whether it was a direct call from Norwich or via Colchester.

[/quote] He didn''t say which Saturday either. Was it Saturday August 8th by any chance?[;)]

Just look at the mess we have achieved by holding an extended interview process...with Doncaster, Delia and Stringer.

If you know the qualities of the person (which Mcnally did) and you have identified who you want why have an interview process. I can''t see why there''s all the fuss, how many of us have been at jobs where you wonder how someone else got the job?

Roeder said everything that the NCFC board wanted to hear but experience told us we didn''t do all the homework, once that first season was over what happened.

[quote user="cityangel"]

But he did have an interview

This from ColU chairman

[quote] “On Monday morning, Paul was understandably frustrated by the failure of the clubs to reach an agreement and he informed me that he was finding it difficult to focus on his role at Colchester United.

“For that reason I agreed that Norwich could interview Paul but could not offer him employment or in any other way directly or indirectly induce him to breach his contract with Colchester United until they had agreed compensation with us.

“I met again with Paul last night and he handed me his resignation. This morning both Ian and Gary have also provided the club with written notice.[/quote]

[/quote]

But unfortunately you then broke the rule by not agreeing compensation with us before offering him the job.

I am sure it will all be resolved as long as you pay up.