Sign in to follow this  
steve b

Lambert will use the transfer market

He was watching tonight and has probably seen more than enough to convince himself that he needs better players,

He couldn''t have been in much doubt already after the Colchester game.

I''d be very surprised if he didn''t ask the question before he took the job, ie. have I got money to spend, and how much?

[quote user="canary cherub "]

He couldn''t have been in much doubt already after the Colchester game.

I''d be very surprised if he didn''t ask the question before he took the job, ie. have I got money to spend, and how much?

[/quote]He''s a young, hungry, manager and was top of the league, and more importantly looking like he had a very good squad. I cannot see any way that he did not ask the question, unless he is just another mercenary after a few more quid (which I hope he isn''t).I do hope that McNally and the board refused to sanction funds for Gunn - otherwise we will be lucky to finish in the top half.

why bring in 11 players then sack the manager after a 4-0 win ? the club has serious debt problems and apart from use the loan market i fail to see how we could fund more new players .

We''ve hardly spent money on these transfers apart from Holt... lets all PRAY Bowkett Mcnally and the other new guy have kept money behind because they knew Gunny was gonna be sacked asap

[quote user="singing canary"]why bring in 11 players then sack the manager after a 4-0 win ? the club has serious debt problems and apart from use the loan market i fail to see how we could fund more new players .[/quote]

There''s another thread about this, but I can''t see how we could have sacked Gunn in the first place without there being someone (or more than one) behind the scenes putting money in.  

I can''t believe that Lambert would have taken the job if he didn''t think he could take the club onwards and upwards - otherwise, why would he leave Col U''s reasonable set-up, a club that is a decent bet for a top half finish?

IMO it is one of three scenarios:

- he considers us to have a fairly decent but currently misguided squad with which to work

- he has been promised some sort of funding for either loans or more permanents to fill some gaps

- he is doing it for the (presumably higher) money...you''d hope it definitely wasn''t this option

IMO despite the current rumblings, I doubt we that far from having a decent squad for this division, and I guess that Lambert is aware of this. Perhaps it just needs a collective kick up the backside/injection of confidence which might come from a change in tack.

It did cross my mind that the move was motivated by money, PMY, but you''d hope there was a lot more to it than that.

It is at least a straw to clutch at, though, that perhaps he sees somethng in the squad that he can work with, something that just isn''t quite clicking on the pitch (either than or knows something about some ££ that is coming in)...we can but hope.

Ok after the intial disappointment of tonights game i''ve sat and thought things through here and i don''t think things are quite as doom and gloom as we all think.

I think with a bit of nuturing we have a good strike pairing in Cody and Holt who look to have a good understanding in the manner that they''ll create chances for eachother. As for the critism that seems to be aimed at Cody... he can finish, he''s our only striker thats found the net in the league after 3 games, he just needs to get that confidence about him all good strikers have and he''ll do jobs for us.

Secondly Lambert needs to see how Hughes does on Saturday as to wether we need to strengthen the midfield, we sorely lack creativty from the central pairing tonight and it would seem Gill and OTJ are too similar to play together.

Whaley and Hoolahan arn''t bad players IMO and again with a bit of Nuturing they''ll be alright.

The main worry is wether Wiggins is good enough to replace Drury and wether it''s best to move Spillane in as Askou''s partner or if we leave him at RB and beg Dejan to stay.

I don''t think the team we have is all that bad, with a good manager, to be fair something we haven''t had since Worthy, and one or two tweaks we''ll be alright.

The season starts Saturday for me now, yes we''re playing catch up but hey it wouldn''t be City if we done things the easy way.

Hope you''re right Lambo, and to an extent the season does start again on Saturday.

IMO the squad isn''t quite as bad as is being made out (and only last Tuesday some were lauding them after the Yeovil game), but does need some work. Let''s just hope that Lambert is the one to get them to click together - or that he has a few £ to get a couple of guys in that will do it.

With Gill and OTJ we''re playing too similar players together, you need one of them alongside the more creative Hughes who in turn will provide a bit more service for Cody and Holt.

If we can snap up a good loanee to play alongside Askou, then possibly sort out an extended loan for Alnwick then we''d be well away IMO.

Like i say at best thats one more person in, then possibly another creative central player should Hughes get injured or do we use Adeyemi in that role?

As agreed on the other thread. Branston, Lambo, both spot on.

Oh! I forgot - If Lambert removes the Doc within two games he''ll do for me!!

Maybe if Russell(remember him?!) leaves for a fee of around 300/400k and there is some money left over then PL can get in one or two players.

Actually i wouldn''t be at all suprised to see Rusty in the team under Lambert.

I think if a club wanted him he''d have gone by now.

No doubt that Russell and Stefanovic could do a job in this league....not sure I''d want to see Russell in the team though as he obviously doesnt wanna be here. Dejan was being hounded out though as far as Im concerned.

With a bit of clever man management though you could have Rusty doing a job for us alongside Hughes.

If i were Lambert i''d say "Look i understand you want a move but thus far we''ve not received an acceptable offer, i''l give you a season in the side for you to show what your capable of and if we''re not back in the Championship you''ll get your move"

Thus you have a motivated Darel Russell who''d be a very handy guy to have alongside Hughes with Adeyemi and OTJ as solid back up.

I can''t imagine he won''t bring in at least one player, probably no more than two though, The current crop are looking seriously inadequate. We need another winger badly, someone else with some real invention. Not to mention how much Cody is concerning me.

One of Lambert''s main attributes is the ability to improve the players and the team that he has. He has proved that at previous clubs. To have this never ending desire that Lambo has to get players in on loan is the road to hell. If we get players in on loan they will inevitably be Premiership (or even Championship now) youngsters who their clubs will want to give experience to and develop for their own benefit, and they will probably be thinking that it is something they have to do rather than want to do. We have seen the reaction and attitude of loanees before, please not again. We have young players of our own. They are the ones we should be developing, not other people''s. Let''s have enough faith in our new manager to get the best out of what we have got. If he doesn''t think our squad (which, thank goodness we now have) is good enough then let''s get rid of some and get some new ones in. But, please, not the loan road again as in the end it will do us no good at all.