Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

Did Gunn & Co ever pick our best team?

Despite all the friendlies I didn''t get the feeling that Gunn & Co ever found out what their best team was (and probably never would have done in a month of Sundays).

That''s Lambert''s first task imo, pick a balanced side with the right players in the right positions.  Sounds so simple and obvious, but even the simple and obvious hasn''t been happening lately.

If he''s worth his salt he should have a pretty good idea after 2 or 3 games.  He may still have time (and money?) to bring in a player or two, but if not this is a situation where one or two loanees could be very useful, doing what loanees are supposed to do, ie. add quality.

No they didn''t Cherub. That''s not unusual though because IMO you don''t find out about players until you see them in competetive games. I think this is true at all levels. Lineker and Beardsley came together in the England side by chance I believe. Dave Stringer was right back and if I remember rightly only started playing beside Big Dunc because Mallender was unavailable.

The thing is - I don''t think Gunny and Co recognised it when it did fall right for them. Mooney and Gow played well together so they bought in Lee and split the pair up. And this season Hughes came on to great effect for Gill but they persist in playing Gill.