Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

It seems to me..

from reading various posts from those who went to the match last night, that the players are underachieving collectively and not playing to their full potential. This is Lambert''s problem. How do you persuade midfielders to put themselves about (Gill is apparently very much a confidence player, and played in a successful team for two years.)? Or the defence to concentrate and remember their their training and match instructions (-we are conceding too many goals from crosses to unmarked players). Or the strikers to take their chances (Cody at fault here regularly)?There are one or two players about whom there are real questions, it seems - Doc, Whaley, Semi, Cody, Theoklitos, Nelson, etc.. How far the general lack of confidence is affecting them, it is difficult to say. One or two may simply not be up to it.Solution:Sign at least one central defender, either on loan or permanently if there is time and money.Appoint a new captain, who will lead by word and deed.Make earlier substitutions, of players who are struggling.Give Maric a chance - he seemed to have the steadiness in front of goal, and the nack of converting chances. Play Hughes from the start.We have been second best, even against Yeovil, but we have scorned chances and lost confidence very quickly. I think that most of the new signings are O.K., and will play much better once we can win a game or two well.

I reckon the only real answer here is repetition.  Get people doing things effectively in training, and repeat repeat repeat until it becomes second nature.  Lambert might not need to sign anyone if he can get the players we have to drop the old bad habits and build new good ones.