Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

I just doesn't all stack up

Can''t get this all straight in my head. None of it stacks up.Sack Gunn. Why? McNally say he isn''t the right man to achieve this seasons goal. Promotion. We have seen Mr McNally Praised by fans for taking this action and also heard himself say that Gunn was appointed before he arrived and therefore wasn''t his fault is so many words. He was however here when Gunny signed many of the players we now have running around like headless chickens being out played by Brentford.How come? Did he just accept the word of Gunn that these players are good enough. The word of a guy who he deemed was only worth one league game of a new champagne before he sacked him. Did McNally take no advice from elsewhere on Gunns purchases! Are we to believe the he, the chief executive of our tight little club just sat back in his office chair and allowed Gun a man with no experience to blindly sign players. Players the few other club were remotely interested in.And what next. We appoint a guy rightly or wrongly who''s only real notable achievement is beating us 1-7 at home. Us who but for Southampton''s points deduction would be sitting joint bottom on goal difference with Brighton in the 3rd tier of English football.I''m sorry to bash on about it but I just don''t see this a anything other than a smoke screen. Something to ease the pressure on the board and deflect the attention of any potential protesters. I have nothing but high hope for Paul Lambert but I don''t for one moment think that we have a squad capable of mounting the fairy tale promotion charge that McNally states is our only goal this season. I don''t think the players we have, have the potential even with good management to achieve such a feat.Only investment in the squad before the close of this transfer window would change my mind on this. Do any of you really think that we are about to start spending again? I have my doubts.I see another full house come Saturday to welcome the new messiah and a directors box full of relieved people thinking this will at least keep them subdued for a month or two.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]Can''t get this all straight in my head. None of it stacks up.Sack Gunn. Why? McNally say he isn''t the right man to achieve this seasons goal. Promotion. We have seen Mr McNally Praised by fans for taking this action and also heard himself say that Gunn was appointed before he arrived and therefore wasn''t his fault is so many words. He was however here when Gunny signed many of the players we now have running around like headless chickens being out played by Brentford.How come? Did he just accept the word of Gunn that these players are good enough. The word of a guy who he deemed was only worth one league game of a new champagne before he sacked him. Did McNally take no advice from elsewhere on Gunns purchases! Are we to believe the he, the chief executive of our tight little club just sat back in his office chair and allowed Gun a man with no experience to blindly sign players. Players the few other club were remotely interested in.And what next. We appoint a guy rightly or wrongly who''s only real notable achievement is beating us 1-7 at home. Us who but for Southampton''s points deduction would be sitting joint bottom on goal difference with Brighton in the 3rd tier of English football.I''m sorry to bash on about it but I just don''t see this a anything other than a smoke screen. Something to ease the pressure on the board and deflect the attention of any potential protesters. I have nothing but high hope for Paul Lambert but I don''t for one moment think that we have a squad capable of mounting the fairy tale promotion charge that McNally states is our only goal this season. I don''t think the players we have, have the potential even with good management to achieve such a feat.Only investment in the squad before the close of this transfer window would change my mind on this. Do any of you really think that we are about to start spending again? I have my doubts.I see another full house come Saturday to welcome the new messiah and a directors box full of relieved people thinking this will at least keep them subdued for a month or two.[/quote]I see where you''re coming from HH, but I think it would have been difficult for McNally to embargo Gunn''s purchases so soon after his arrival. And in fairness the general opinion here was that the purchases looked (generally) promising. There was certainly competition for Hughes & Holt''s signatures & others came with good reputations.Whichever way you look at it, the pre-season was excellent.So what is the smokescreen for? I really don''t believe D&M have gone through the latest turmoil to buy a month''s grace.No, they''re just stumbling along as usual, doing the best they can. However, I believe there may be now some real justification for hope ( OH NO! NOT AGAIN !!!)  as they seem to have recognised they haven''t got a clue & handed control to a man who (please God) has.We''re gonna find out pretty soon.

I think from what mcnally has said, I.e. that Gunn was fired on the basis of the last seven months and not just one result, that mcnally felt gunn should never have been in charge. Problem being, when he arrived gunn had just been given a new deal so his hands were well and truly tied. It is this that irritates me more than anything else.

I think we''re all forgetting that there may well have been a massive bust up. One which should or could have been managed by Gunn or which indicated a dramatic change in relationship between Gun and some of the people that he has to operate alongside on a daily basis. It''s possible he had longer to prove himself but that he handled the fallout from Colchester badly or that the staffing structure crumbled or even that he told McNally or someone else to F off....! Either way, I think McN had his eye on Lambert from the off and needed proof to the board that he should be brought in soner than later. That proof came at half time on the 8th of August.An adendum is that having sat at Griffin Park last night I''d say that alot of my optimism from games such as Crystal Palace pre season was eroded and that I think it dramatically unfair to expect Lambert to acheive promotion with he squad we have. He still might! But let''s give credit where it''s due if he does as there is currently about a 3rd less talent than I thought and almost no confidence at all.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Hardhouse44"]Can''t get this all straight in my head. None of it stacks up.Sack Gunn. Why? McNally say he isn''t the right man to achieve this seasons goal. Promotion. We have seen Mr McNally Praised by fans for taking this action and also heard himself say that Gunn was appointed before he arrived and therefore wasn''t his fault is so many words. He was however here when Gunny signed many of the players we now have running around like headless chickens being out played by Brentford.How come? Did he just accept the word of Gunn that these players are good enough. The word of a guy who he deemed was only worth one league game of a new champagne before he sacked him. Did McNally take no advice from elsewhere on Gunns purchases! Are we to believe the he, the chief executive of our tight little club just sat back in his office chair and allowed Gun a man with no experience to blindly sign players. Players the few other club were remotely interested in.And what next. We appoint a guy rightly or wrongly who''s only real notable achievement is beating us 1-7 at home. Us who but for Southampton''s points deduction would be sitting joint bottom on goal difference with Brighton in the 3rd tier of English football.I''m sorry to bash on about it but I just don''t see this a anything other than a smoke screen. Something to ease the pressure on the board and deflect the attention of any potential protesters. I have nothing but high hope for Paul Lambert but I don''t for one moment think that we have a squad capable of mounting the fairy tale promotion charge that McNally states is our only goal this season. I don''t think the players we have, have the potential even with good management to achieve such a feat.Only investment in the squad before the close of this transfer window would change my mind on this. Do any of you really think that we are about to start spending again? I have my doubts.I see another full house come Saturday to welcome the new messiah and a directors box full of relieved people thinking this will at least keep them subdued for a month or two.[/quote]I see where you''re coming from HH, but I think it would have been difficult for McNally to embargo Gunn''s purchases so soon after his arrival. And in fairness the general opinion here was that the purchases looked (generally) promising. There was certainly competition for Hughes & Holt''s signatures & others came with good reputations.Whichever way you look at it, the pre-season was excellent.So what is the smokescreen for? I really don''t believe D&M have gone through the latest turmoil to buy a month''s grace.No, they''re just stumbling along as usual, doing the best they can. However, I believe there may be now some real justification for hope ( OH NO! NOT AGAIN !!!)  as they seem to have recognised they haven''t got a clue & handed control to a man who (please God) has.We''re gonna find out pretty soon.

[/quote]I agree that they are stumbling along as usual but don''t you think if nothing else it will relieve pressure on them. Whether you believe in protest or not and I for one am no rally marcher this appointment will definitely stop much of the criticism and bad feeling at the ground and games aim at the board purely because it will be deemed counter productive for the team under the new manager. And rightly so.

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]I think from what mcnally has said, I.e. that Gunn was fired on the basis of the last seven months and not just one result, that mcnally felt gunn should never have been in charge. Problem being, when he arrived gunn had just been given a new deal so his hands were well and truly tied. It is this that irritates me more than anything else.[/quote]yes but the seven months thing was as much of a smokescreen and anything. His hands were tied but was the 1-7 just the thing required to carry out an action that he (McNally) really wanted to do the day he arrived. This is why allowing Gunn to acquire his own players was utter madness. A show of strength when it to late is worth nothing.

McNally has had a chance to view training, as well as a couple of matches.  He has probably seen that training was not up to scratch aswell, and has seized on the chance to bring in Lambert at the earliest available opportunity - Lambert has been recognized as turning Colchester around post Geraint Williams, from a mid-table league 1 team to a team that is showing has promotion winning form, his win rate with them being 40% +.The fault lies with Smith & Jones for appointing Gunn and rewarding his failure to motivate or train the players he had at his disposal last season.  They should have brought the 3 new guys onto the board before deciding who the manager was.  As far as player purchases go, McNally would have had a hand in that as he did at Fulham, but his hands were tied until after the first game of the season as far as Gunn was concerned.This period might be for the best in the long run.  3 poor games at the start of the season then a chance to rebuild with Lambert might well be better than staggering along in mid-table until Xmas with Gunn.  Just because a manager is popular with the players doesn''t mean he is a good manager.

It may not make stack up but ultimately getting rid of Gunn and bringing in Lambert and Culverhouse is a step in the right direction and will be seen as a turning point in future (even if just to stop a rapid decent into League 2)

Unless he has a player in mind iimmedately I can see him using loans until xmas to strengthen the middle of the park  as a priority.

If it really was intended to be a smokescreen to deflect attention from D&M it''s backfired spectacularly, because sacking Gunn only makes their decision to appoint him look even more stupid and irresponsible.

I admit to being amazed at the timing of Gunns sacking (halfway through the 2 away games with the squad away). However, it was pointed out to me last night that Lambert has three games (Brentford, Wycombe and Sunderland) to assess the squad after which there are still seven days left in the transfer window.

You really are too sensible for this forum.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]McNally has had a chance to view training, as well as a couple of matches.  He has probably seen that training was not up to scratch aswell, and has seized on the chance to bring in Lambert at the earliest available opportunity - Lambert has been recognized as turning Colchester around post Geraint Williams, from a mid-table league 1 team to a team that is showing has promotion winning form, his win rate with them being 40% +.The fault lies with Smith & Jones for appointing Gunn and rewarding his failure to motivate or train the players he had at his disposal last season.  They should have brought the 3 new guys onto the board before deciding who the manager was.  As far as player purchases go, McNally would have had a hand in that as he did at Fulham, but his hands were tied until after the first game of the season as far as Gunn was concerned.This period might be for the best in the long run.  3 poor games at the start of the season then a chance to rebuild with Lambert might well be better than staggering along in mid-table until Xmas with Gunn.  Just because a manager is popular with the players doesn''t mean he is a good manager.[/quote]

Why is everyone amazed, or looking for a consipracy?  Does logic get lost when logging into this pit of despair?McNally etc arrived after Gunn and co were appointed.  They obiovusly wanted (along with most of us) to get rid of him, they could not just jump in, Gunn had the backing of Delia and was in a decent pre season.The defeat allowed them to move, and they did ruthlessly.  On the face of it,  out voting Delia and tapping up a promising young manager who they thought was a realistic target to get in QUICKLY to sort things out.What else made them move quickly?  Rumoured dressing disharmony, shambolic training and tactics, and an inability to manage.  all seen daily by the new directors. Its not that tough to see the reasoning is it?

You''re too kind [:)] Hindsight is easy...[quote user="ref89"]You really are too sensible for this forum.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]McNally has had a chance to view training, as well as a couple of matches.  He has probably seen that training was not up to scratch aswell, and has seized on the chance to bring in Lambert at the earliest available opportunity - Lambert has been recognized as turning Colchester around post Geraint Williams, from a mid-table league 1 team to a team that is showing has promotion winning form, his win rate with them being 40% +.The fault lies with Smith & Jones for appointing Gunn and rewarding his failure to motivate or train the players he had at his disposal last season.  They should have brought the 3 new guys onto the board before deciding who the manager was.  As far as player purchases go, McNally would have had a hand in that as he did at Fulham, but his hands were tied until after the first game of the season as far as Gunn was concerned.This period might be for the best in the long run.  3 poor games at the start of the season then a chance to rebuild with Lambert might well be better than staggering along in mid-table until Xmas with Gunn.  Just because a manager is popular with the players doesn''t mean he is a good manager.[/quote][/quote]

Whatever Gunn''s merits as manager, allowing him to bring in 12 players and then sacking him after two competitive matches played with those players at his disposal (one of which was a 4-0 away win against a team in our division) is crazy.   The difference in the morale of the players between Yeovil on the one hand and Exeter / Brentford on the other is testimony to the affect it has had on the players Gunn brought in.   Name me one team that has let a manager remodel a team and then sacked him after two competitve games, one of them a win.