Sign in to follow this  
Devils Advocate.

Do we react too quickly as supporters ?

As supporters we always seem to be demanding change, yet when the change is made it never seems to be for the best. Many fans wanted to see the back of Sir Arthur South, he went and we got Robert Chase. After a few years, for obvious reasons we wanted Chase out and after a short period of Geoffrey Watlings ownership we entered the Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones era with first Bob Cooper and then Roger Munby as Chairman. We in turn wanted Munby out and thus entered the present regime. The same has happened with the Managers, you can trace the line of succession from Gary Megson , apart from Mike Walker and possibly Bruce Rioch, we have wanted the blood of each succeeding manager and things never seem to get better. I have seen some posts on this forum who look back at previous Managers and Chairmen and wish that they would return. Some say that Chase would not have made such a mess of running the club as those that have come after him have done, Many feel that Roeder would have saved the club from relegation. You have only to read the messages left on this forum after we lost to Colchester, demanding the head of Bryan Gunn and then see all those whinging when he was sacked last week  to realise how difficult it must be to satisfy the fans of Norwich City. We tend to get over excited when we win, if you can remember that far back, and maybe suffer from terminal depression when we lose, which seems to be every game at the moment. We can only hope that Paul Lambert can steer us to calmer waters for a time, so that decisions can be made with a clearer head.

I agree with city-til-I-die on this one. Successful clubs have continuity and synergy. City have had 5 managers in 4 years. The last winning team came after a long development under Worthington leading to a well organised team playing consistently with good understanding and synergy (the total performance is greater than the individual performances making it up). In other words, ordinary players achieved extraordinary performances throughout the season and won the Championship.

You don''t get that unless you have continuity and development, and that is exactly what City haven''t had for the past four years with the chopping and changing of managers and players. Lambert may overcome this, but I very much doubt it will be this season.

I hope I''m wrong, though!