Sign in to follow this  
Scooby

Our Norwich City is dead!

I posted this earlier in response to a nostalgic thread by Glenn Foy, but as it has probably got lost already I thought I would give it it''s own thread as I think the point needs making (If that is arrogance on my part I apologise in advance).  Glenn composed a nice read about his experince as a Norwich fan over the last decade or so, which is worth looking at itself  if you''d like to find it, but longs for a return to our "glory days" as the great Norwich City of the 90''s.  My reponse is this........

That great club is already dead, it died a few years ago.  In my personal opinion probably about the time Mike Walker left.  Regardless of the passion of the fans, the full houses and the new manager it will never again be THAT club.  The current state of football has ensured that.  Those days of smaller clubs playing great football and beating the giants time after time are long gone.  Why? because the giants are no longer giants, they are behemoths of gargantuan size and, should you defeat one on your best of days another ten will rise from its corpse and become even stronger.  THEY HAVE MONEY!  And that my friend is that. 

One day our prince may come.  One day we may have enough money to buy the best players and reach the heady heights of Europe once more.  But, that will never again be our Norwich City as we remember it.  For the simple reason that in order to get there we will have to become one of them. It is without doubt a sacrifice that we are all willing to make in order to regain some former glory and return us to our "rightful" place in the football hierachy, after all, anything is better than this, but it will only come at a huge price,  as assuredly as Notts County''s place in the Premier League is a far, far safer bet than Leeds Utd.

We await the man with the money to show us the way.  The king is dead, long live the king!

[quote user="Scooby"]

I posted this earlier in response to a nostalgic thread by Glenn Foy, but as it has probably got lost already I thought I would give it it''s own thread as I think the point needs making (If that is arrogance on my part I apologise in advance).  Glenn composed a nice read about his experince as a Norwich fan over the last decade or so, which is worth looking at itself  if you''d like to find it, but longs for a return to our "glory days" as the great Norwich City of the 90''s.  My reponse is this........

That great club is already dead, it died a few years ago.  In my personal opinion probably about the time Mike Walker left.  Regardless of the passion of the fans, the full houses and the new manager it will never again be THAT club.  The current state of football has ensured that.  Those days of smaller clubs playing great football and beating the giants time after time are long gone.  Why? because the giants are no longer giants, they are behemoths of gargantuan size and, should you defeat one on your best of days another ten will rise from its corpse and become even stronger.  THEY HAVE MONEY!  And that my friend is that. 

One day our prince may come.  One day we may have enough money to buy the best players and reach the heady heights of Europe once more.  But, that will never again be our Norwich City as we remember it.  For the simple reason that in order to get there we will have to become one of them. It is without doubt a sacrifice that we are all willing to make in order to regain some former glory and return us to our "rightful" place in the football hierachy, after all, anything is better than this, but it will only come at a huge price,  as assuredly as Notts County''s place in the Premier League is a far, far safer bet than Leeds Utd.

We await the man with the money to show us the way.  The king is dead, long live the king!

[/quote]

Great post mate, and totally accurate, I''m afraid.

If you mean nice little old, care in the community, a national bloody joke City is dead............then thank God and may the corpse rot for ever!

We are now going to be a mean and nasty club, soon to be an agressive and a in your face team............and I can''t wait.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

If you mean nice little old, care in the community, a national bloody joke City is dead............then thank God and may the corpse rot for ever!

We are now going to be a mean and nasty club, soon to be an agressive and a in your face team............and I can''t wait.

[/quote]

Although I take your point Wiz, when we were nice little old Norwich and swept (almost) all before us, we were pretty much admired by all.  It is only now that we are a laughing stock.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

I Don''t think he meant any of that Wiz. I think he meant what he posted... try reading it[8-|] [;)]

Great post Scooby.. thanks for repeating it because I missed it the first time.[Y]

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Although I take your point Wiz, when we were nice little old Norwich and swept (almost) all before us, we were pretty much admired by all.  It is only now that we are a laughing stock.

[/quote]

Agree in part Scooby, but I point to Delia and her old man for the start of the rot.

I tend to see Daid McNally as the man from Rentokill!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

I Don''t think he meant any of that Wiz. I think he meant what he posted... try reading it[8-|] [;)]

Great post Scooby.. thanks for repeating it because I missed it the first time.[Y]

[/quote]

I accept that Nutty, but I''m just banging my pro Lambo/McNally drum![;)]

wiz, if things dont start well under Lambert will you be calling for his removal soon too like the last two managers? or are you going to accept he needs time. the problem as you quite rightly point out is not the team management solely but the two tits from suffolk who own most of the club!! so we all need to give Lambert some time to sort this dross out!!