Sign in to follow this  
Lennon7

Cody Mcdonald...

Really isn''t as good as everyone seems to make out.

In the last 3 games, if Cureton had have missed all the chances Mcdonald had you lot would be going mental.

Ok, he signed from non league football last season, but the way he''s finishing, you can see it.

I agree. I think Cody gets an easier time because of where he came from and the effort he puts in. Don''t get me wrong I like the guy and he puts the effort in but I don''t think he should be starting every game. Just last season we were bedding him in very gently, an odd 10 minutes at the end of games and now he''s starting every single one.

He is as good as i thought he''d be. I''m happy with him tbh, he''s been in the professional game less than half a season and is still adjusting, sadly he is better than most of our other strikers so is forced to play a more important role than perhaps he should be. Give him time. That chance against Exeter summed him up, excellent pace, awareness and anticipation to beat the defender and keeper, an alright finish, but too lazy, the type of finish that would have got him a goal in non-league, but the better professional defender got back and cleared it. When that instinct becomes first nature to Cody, he''ll be better for it, he''s physically able and technically able, but needs to adapt to the professional game still.

true point jimmy! and just another one i think that hes got and looks like he has more pace and fight for the ball than a Mr Jc as well! i know goals count! but he will start banging them in soon! i hope!

That''s because Cody gets into positions that Cureton never will (& probably never would have). He''s the sort of player who always gives you a chance of scoring out of nowhere.Yes, he is raw, occasionally clumsy with his first touch & doesn''t always pick the right option. But he is QUICK & has boundless enthusiasm - doesn''t know when he''s beaten. I am convinced he is one of the few players at the club with genuine potential - I could see him becoming another Earnie, possibly even better.He is the perfect foil for Holt, possibly for Maric as well.He must be persisted with. Potentially the most valuable player at the club.

Hmmmm very valid point. I say Maric maybe or someone else to partner Holt, with Cody to come on as a sub to bring on some much needed pace!

and, i got Adeyemi in the sweepstake for brentford [:P]

he goes from 2 straight starts, to being dropped completely, he didnt get a knock from Exeter did he? [:(]

I thought OTJ looked better today, Gill is a waste of space. Much needed work by Lambert. Lets just give this guy a chance! After all he is actually a MANAGER with a tincy little bit of experience, what does this give him? what, about 4 games maybe?

[quote user="Brendan"]

Hmmmm very valid point. I say Maric maybe or someone else to partner Holt, with Cody to come on as a sub to bring on some much needed pace!

he goes from 2 straight starts, to being dropped completely, he didnt get a knock from Exeter did he? [:(]

I thought OTJ looked better today, Gill is a waste of space. Much needed work by Lambert. Lets just give this guy a chance! After all he is actually a MANAGER with a tincy little bit of experience, what does this give him? what, about 4 games maybe?

[/quote]

I dont think that Adeyami got a knock at Exeter, he was just left out of the squad as he is only 17 and Brentford are maybe more physical and he probably couldnt cope with that type of battle at his age, he''ll be back soon but dont expect him in every match.

Cureton''s strenght is to get into scoring position, however last season he forgot how to score.
I would go for Cody on the bench, and start either Maric or Cureton. League1 is the level where Cureton has been most successful...

Or what about this? Cody to replace Whaley on the right midfield? [:O]

I was saying last season that Cody has the potential to be used as a winger as has pace to burn and can cause some real hassle. But then do we really want two wingers who can''t cross?

Good point, rjwc22... Cody can''t cross either. So I guess McVeigh or Martin will be the best options on the right midfield. Cody on the bench as supersub...

[quote user="rjwc22"]I was saying last season that Cody has the potential to be used as a winger as has pace to burn and can cause some real hassle. But then do we really want two wingers who can''t cross?[/quote]You don''t just need speed. You need to be able to dribble, pass, hold the ball, all things that Cody doesn''t have in his game just yet.If you''re old enough you might remeber Franz Carr... a 100m runner who happened to turn up on a football pitch and was played at right wing. Occasionally devastating, but mainly awful due to his lack of actual football ability.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="rjwc22"]I was saying last season that Cody has the potential to be used as a winger as has pace to burn and can cause some real hassle. But then do we really want two wingers who can''t cross?[/quote]You don''t just need speed. You need to be able to dribble, pass, hold the ball, all things that Cody doesn''t have in his game just yet.If you''re old enough you might remeber Franz Carr... a 100m runner who happened to turn up on a football pitch and was played at right wing. Occasionally devastating, but mainly awful due to his lack of actual football ability.[/quote]Didn''t Franz Carr take us apart in a game against Forest once?

Ah Franz Carr! Couldn''t (or wouldn''t) cross if his life depended on it.I like the look of Cody and something that wasn''t happening last night was progressive, cultured forward balls from midfield. We reverted to hoofball and Cody''s positioning off Holt was as good as could be expected. Get him the ball to feet and he will improve. One positive from last night for me was Martin. He looked for it, took it forward and put something behind it when he took shots. Will be good this season and takes some pressure off Cody. For the record - I like Holt too.

[quote user="Dan-NCFC"]

Really isn''t as good as everyone seems to make out.

In the last 3 games, if Cureton had have missed all the chances Mcdonald had you lot would be going mental.

Ok, he signed from non league football last season, but the way he''s finishing, you can see it.

[/quote]

Hey, don''t lump me in with everyone, I said I had major doubts about him.........and Curo would have been slaughted on here after that!

glad there is a thread on this.I think Cody gets a lot of slack as you can see his passion and enthusiasm. Thing is Curo has the same attributes and gets slaughtered.WAs at the Brentford game last night and he really looked out of his depth...all pace and nothing else.  SEcond half HOlt was winning everything in the air, tracking back, holding the ball up and yet there was no one running in behind, or down the channels....if Cody uses his pace wisely and reads the game better then he could be a very useful player but to be honest i dont think i saw him touch the ball the whole second half.....now for a striker in a team thats 2-0 down and supposed to be chasing the game thats a bit worrying is it not?!?!?Have to say i was pretty impressed with Martin when he came on. Bar his volleyed chip over the bar he showed some good awareness, cut in well from the left and tested their keeper.I would say that Martin contributed more to City going forward in 10 minutes than Cody did the whole match.  Perhaps he is better suited to a super sub style role, but if we want to get out of this division we cannot afford to play a striker who goes AWOL.

Cody isn''t ready for this yet. Not to be starting upfront every game.

He''s still very much a player to come off the bench.

But I guess we haven''t got a better option. Martin isn''t suited to playing upfront, Cureton isn''t up to it and the longer Maric goes without playing the more it looks like they don''t rate him...

Cody has a 1 in 3 strike rate this season, better than any of our other strikers in the league.

Your right but he did used to be a scaffolder. I would play Maric or Martin instead of him next game. Whoevers quickest.

Maric needs to play so does hughes!!! What is the point signing these 2 and not playing them!!! It sooo annoys me!!

[quote user="ryan1992"][quote user="Brendan"]

[/quote]

I dont think that Adeyami got a knock at Exeter, he was just left out of the squad as he is only 17 and Brentford are maybe more physical and he probably couldnt cope with that type of battle at his age, he''ll be back soon but dont expect him in every match.

[/quote]He''s 23

[quote user="Lewie - McDonald Im lovin it"][quote user="ryan1992"][quote user="Brendan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]He''s 23[/quote]Adeyemi is 17

I think you are all be a bit harsh on the poor bloke.He hardly had a pre season due to injury. Comes on and scores in the colchester game. Starts in the Yeovil game and cause them all sorts of problems. Then he next two starts have been in 2 away games, where the service he has received has been nothing short of rubbish. the boy seems capable of making goals for him self and given the right service I have no doubt he will score. Give him a chance in the up coming home games where the service should be better then make your judgements!

[quote user="kiwiNCFC"][quote user="Lewie - McDonald Im lovin it"][quote user="ryan1992"][quote user="Brendan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]He''s 23[/quote]Adeyemi is 17[/quote]Got confused with cody mac

Cody''s gonna be a top player for us, i just get the feeling that he wants it so desperately that he''s not allowing himself to relax... Sounds like Lambert could be the guy that will lay it on the line to him, explain it''s just a job and his job is to pop the ball in the back of the net... Sod all the scaffolder to professional footbalk dream nonsence, thats already in the past.

He''s now here on merit, he''s raw, and as of yet an unknown quantity. If the manager likes the look of him he will definetly net 15-20 goals for us.

Cody Is Fast And Good At Getting Through The Defence. But He Isn''t As Strong As Holt And Maric, Plus I Think His Finishing Needs Work. However, 6 Months Ago He Was Only Playing Non-League Football!!! He Will Improve With Time.......

Give the lad a chance, he''s new to league football and the last couple of weeks haven''t produced the best background for any player to perform let alone one who has just arrived from non-league.