Sign in to follow this  
ColUDave

Honest Col U Fan

Hi AllFirstly, I''m not here to whinge and moan about what has happened ober the last 48 hours.  My best man is a Norwich fan and as such I have a slight interest in the goings on at Norwich.  Obviously the 1st game of the season and the last 48 hours as heigtened that interest.  All I will say about the last 48 hours is that I don''t think Norwich have handled themselves very well at all.  My mate says this is the new "ruthless" Norwich City, I said more like "ruthless and stupid" but only time will tell.Anyway, up until 48 hours ago, I was a Lambert fan and thought I''d post my honest observations about him and his signature for Norwich.  I believe the Norwich job is too big for him and it will be a failure and I''m afraid it does sound a bit like an old boys club with him and McNally.  His managerial experience is minimal.  Firstly, Livingston - no great shakes - then a season at Wycombe where he failed to make the playoffs and the following season they got promoted.  Then onto us...His appointment was greeted with a mixed reception, and although you have said to other Colchester fans they all liked him until 48 hours that is certainly not the case.  I did, but many others didn''t.  I would say his best asset is that he is a very good judge of a player.  The outcasts that he shipped out were in my opinion not good enough for Col U and the players he brought in have been excellent.  The football we played last season was absolutely dire and wothout doubt the worst i have ever seen in all my years of following Col U.  That said, this season it improved, and I just get the feeling that he thought last year the squad was only able to play rubbish football.  He is very thoughtful and thinjs about all aspects of the game - he had our pitched narrowed (not sure why when he brought in two quick wingers - but he obviously had a reason), reduced the size of the away dressing room and made it darker.  His negatives are that he certianly doesn''t win friends across all levels of the club and he has shown absolutely no loyalty bot with us, and with Wycombe previously.  He is in it for himself and no-one else, although I suppose that drives him to success. As you can see there are more positives (in my mind) than negatives regarding Lambert, but what I struggle to understand is his appointment in the context of McNally''s criteria as I don''t see where he has been proven successful as a manager.  When he was replaced at Wycombe they went onto better things.  At Col U, he turned results around away from home, but a comment on here that during some home games we never even had a shot is unfortunately not an exaggeration but he out and out truth.  In fact his biggest achievement to date was the 7 (seven) -1 drubbing of you lot.  At Col U most were hoping to finish in the playoffs (not expecting but hoping) - things have certainly started well and that is why I was so angry to lose Lambert.  But you guys if you were honest with yourselves EXPECT promotion from this league.  I don''t think Lambert will deliver that because your squad just doesn''t look good enough and I can''t see McNally being able to keep Lambert in the job if that doesn''t happen.One final note, why an earth has Lambert not signed a permanent contract but is instead on a rolling contract?  That bemuses me more than anything.I can honestly say that after the shock of him leaving I think it will be looked on as a good thing.  The fans have united in their dislike for the last 48 hours and Robbie Cowling is certainly very annoyed and will splash the cash on his new manager and with a transfer book to try and prove Lambert wrong in jumping ship.  Much like Phil Parkinson, I think Lambert has moved to a big club too soon.Que the abuse...

kudos for your opinion, now take your tard fans back with you to your message board.

honest and good analogyWill yet to be seen.I know a lot of Norwich fans are happy that finally there are some ballsy aggresive things going on at Norwich, we have been sat back sipping our tea chanting OTBC like pensioners for far to long now !Just a shame our cut throat action was at Colchesters expenseHope you have a good season but obviously hope ours is better !And may our next meeting on the field be a better result for Norwich !!

Thanks for that post mate, nice to get a genuine opinion from your end on the matter, i''m personally 50/50 on the appointment.

It''s heartening however that his win record has imrpoved with every club he''s been at.

I''m hoping personally that this is the ideal setting for him to really kick on and show what a good manager he is as we''re due a good manager i think lol.

I agree that the manner in which we got him was very underhand however it is nice to see us for a change going all out for a manager we want and getting him.

[quote user="ColUDave"]Hi All

Firstly, I''m not here to whinge and moan about what has happened ober the last 48 hours.  My best man is a Norwich fan and as such I have a slight interest in the goings on at Norwich.  Obviously the 1st game of the season and the last 48 hours as heigtened that interest.  All I will say about the last 48 hours is that I don''t think Norwich have handled themselves very well at all.  My mate says this is the new "ruthless" Norwich City, I said more like "ruthless and stupid" but only time will tell.

Anyway, up until 48 hours ago, I was a Lambert fan and thought I''d post my honest observations about him and his signature for Norwich.  I believe the Norwich job is too big for him and it will be a failure and I''m afraid it does sound a bit like an old boys club with him and McNally.  His managerial experience is minimal.  Firstly, Livingston - no great shakes - then a season at Wycombe where he failed to make the playoffs and the following season they got promoted.  Then onto us...

His appointment was greeted with a mixed reception, and although you have said to other Colchester fans they all liked him until 48 hours that is certainly not the case.  I did, but many others didn''t.  I would say his best asset is that he is a very good judge of a player.  The outcasts that he shipped out were in my opinion not good enough for Col U and the players he brought in have been excellent.  The football we played last season was absolutely dire and wothout doubt the worst i have ever seen in all my years of following Col U.  That said, this season it improved, and I just get the feeling that he thought last year the squad was only able to play rubbish football.  He is very thoughtful and thinjs about all aspects of the game - he had our pitched narrowed (not sure why when he brought in two quick wingers - but he obviously had a reason), reduced the size of the away dressing room and made it darker. 

His negatives are that he certianly doesn''t win friends across all levels of the club and he has shown absolutely no loyalty bot with us, and with Wycombe previously.  He is in it for himself and no-one else, although I suppose that drives him to success.

As you can see there are more positives (in my mind) than negatives regarding Lambert, but what I struggle to understand is his appointment in the context of McNally''s criteria as I don''t see where he has been proven successful as a manager.  When he was replaced at Wycombe they went onto better things.  At Col U, he turned results around away from home, but a comment on here that during some home games we never even had a shot is unfortunately not an exaggeration but he out and out truth.  In fact his biggest achievement to date was the 7 (seven) -1 drubbing of you lot.  At Col U most were hoping to finish in the playoffs (not expecting but hoping) - things have certainly started well and that is why I was so angry to lose Lambert.  But you guys if you were honest with yourselves EXPECT promotion from this league.  I don''t think Lambert will deliver that because your squad just doesn''t look good enough and I can''t see McNally being able to keep Lambert in the job if that doesn''t happen.

One final note, why an earth has Lambert not signed a permanent contract but is instead on a rolling contract?  That bemuses me more than anything.

I can honestly say that after the shock of him leaving I think it will be looked on as a good thing.  The fans have united in their dislike for the last 48 hours and Robbie Cowling is certainly very annoyed and will splash the cash on his new manager and with a transfer book to try and prove Lambert wrong in jumping ship.  Much like Phil Parkinson, I think Lambert has moved to a big club too soon.

Que the abuse...
[/quote]some bitterness in there!!!!....we will be back for some of your players [;)]

"reduced the size of the away dressing room and made it darker"You mean witchcraft? [:|]

of course there is some bitterness, wouldn''t you?  But it is also my opinion that it is too big for him.And, you won''t be back for some of our players - at least not for a year - because just like we did with Hull and Parkinson - an embargo will be agreed.  In terms of tapping up etc here, you are very much on the back foot when it comes to compensation - again just like Hull.  Also, which players would you want?  Because the chance of Robbie releasing any of our new players (who Lambert signed on minimum 3 years contracts) is extremely remote because we don''t need the cash and his statement shows the level of distain he feels towards PL and McNally.

Thanks for the appraisal. I think Lambert is a wait and see kind of appointment. There are many, many question marks above his head. But he has taken two clubs in a downward spiral and more or less turned that around. I think that''s important.

[quote user="ColUDave"]of course there is some bitterness, wouldn''t you?  But it is also my opinion that it is too big for him.And, you won''t be back for some of our players - at least not for a year - because just like we did with Hull and Parkinson - an embargo will be agreed.  In terms of tapping up etc here, you are very much on the back foot when it comes to compensation - again just like Hull.  Also, which players would you want?  Because the chance of Robbie releasing any of our new players (who Lambert signed on minimum 3 years contracts) is extremely remote because we don''t need the cash and his statement shows the level of distain he feels towards PL and McNally.[/quote]I don''t think the job is to big for him in the sense you mean. Truth is he''s joined a club that is rotten to the core. IMHO he stood more chance of promotion with you than he ever will with us.

Thanks Dave one of the more sensible posts from Colchester.

Whatever the facts about the capture of Lambert I am pleased we have gone and got our man and not taking no for an answer. Like most Norwich fans I feel it is a refreshing change.

I''m not totally convinced Lambert will get us promoted this season, but I think he is a good appointment and will get us back into the Championship either this season or next. I do not agree with your comment about Norwich being too big of a job. Sure it''s is tough, but this is a man who captained Celtic so I''m sure he can do it.

Giving him a rolling contract makes perfect sense. When you bear in mind we have had to pay three managers off in a short space of time.

Captain of Celtic to put it bluntly means jack.  As does his Champions League medal.  We all know good players don''t neccessarily make good managers.  Paul Ince was captain of Man U, what did/has that achieved in his managerial career?If the rolling contract is really because you are scared of having to pay him off, what kind of vote of confidence is that.  I wondered if perhaps this is a McNally appointment and the rest of the board are not so sure?

Bit surprised at the appointment to be honest. In Parky 3 years ago we had a manager who worked wonders and was loved by everyone, and although seemingly devastating at the time no-one was massively surprised when a bigger club came in for him.

With Lambert it''s a bit different. He did OK last season, nothing amazing though, just solid mid-table stability after relegation. A lot of fans never really took too him though, mainly because of a pretty one-dimensional style of play, and the inability to break down any away side that defended from the start (i.e. most of this league).

After freezing out some popular players such as John White and Jackson over the summer and splashing out £125k on the not too-highly rated Joel Thomas, there were a lot of people calling for him to be sacked just 2 weeks ago. Obviously a certain 7-1 result on the first day put an end to that, and following it up by beating Yeovil made his job secure. Built a squad for us that should be at least challenging for the play-offs. But seeing as he hasn''t actually yet achieved anything in his managerial career, I''m a bit surprised he has been tapped up by a bigger (although not necessarily better at this moment in time) club, and it does kinda suggest that your managerial scouting network goes as far as one game. So if he loses to Wycombe on Saturday will you sack him and appoint Peter Taylor?

Good luck getting up, but don''t expect it quickly, out of quite a few ''big'' clubs to be relegated in the last few years, only Leicester have bounced back first time. Forest, Wednesday, Leeds, Bradford (now League 2) etc all thought they''d walk the league, took all of them at least 2-3 years.

Thanks ColUDav, really appreciate the reasoned and intelligent comments after some daft words today.

At best Lambert''s appointment is a gamble but, I suppose, after the instability and mistakes made at Carrow Road at least we now have a manager who will organise the team.

The match at Brentford last night proved that our players lack two main things 1) confidence and 2) strategies. I''m hoping that Lambert will do what our last 3 bosses have failed to do and give our players belief and train them properly so that they have options and flexible tactics on matchday.

Good luck for the rest of the season and in appointing your new manager.

to be fair Colchester fans , a dead fish would have been a better apointment than Brian Gunn so even if Lambert is a flop its a better option !

Just read one of your fans saying you were £20 million in debt! My word!  A rumour at the club at the moment is part of Lambert''s decsion to leave was that he wasn''t given enough backing in the transfer market.  With the amount of compensation you will have to pay to Gunn and us, I think it''s going to be loanees for you.  Again, he did ok in that regard.  A few decent loanees but some tosh (like Sam Williams from his old pal O''Neill - now playing for Yeovil).  I think the one thing that McNally that is spot on is that Lambert is a born winner.  He strives very hard for success and is a very bad loser - which are good traits - but it does make him impatient.  It''s another reason why I feel he is the wrong man for the job, because I think what you need is a proven manager with the respect of the fans that will allow him time to correct the mistakes of the recent past.  He has resigned after a year at all of his previous jobs - I think if he thinks it doesn''t look like its going well, he''ll just walk.

Wrote a message a minute ago and it seemed to disappear [:S]

Bit surprised by the appointment really, Lambert''s done OK but nothing brilliant, just mid-table stability after relegation.

3 years ago we had a very talented manager in Phil Parkinson who was loved at the club, and people were gutted when he left, but not surprised that he was wanted by a bigger club. This time''s a bit different really, like I said Lambert''s done alright but been nothing special, and surprised he''s been tapped up by a bigger (not necessarrily better at the moment) club when he''s achieved nothing in his managerial career.

A lot of fans never really took to him, with 1-dimensional long ball play and a complete tactical inability to break down any away side which set out to defend (ie. most of this league). After freezing out popular players and making one or two questionable signings (£125k for a not-too-highly rated Joel Thomas), a lot of people wanted him sacked 2 weeks ago. Obviously a certain 7-1 on the first day stopped that and following it up with the Yeovil win made his job secure. Built us a squad that should be strongly challenging for the play-offs, but is still yet to achieve anything yet.

And now my original post that disappeareds come back so that one was a pointless waste of time. Ah well. Sort this forum out, it''s not the best [:P]

[quote user="ColUDave"]Hi All

Firstly, I''m not here to whinge and moan about what has happened ober the last 48 hours.  My best man is a Norwich fan and as such I have a slight interest in the goings on at Norwich.  Obviously the 1st game of the season and the last 48 hours as heigtened that interest.  All I will say about the last 48 hours is that I don''t think Norwich have handled themselves very well at all.  My mate says this is the new "ruthless" Norwich City, I said more like "ruthless and stupid" but only time will tell.

Anyway, up until 48 hours ago, I was a Lambert fan and thought I''d post my honest observations about him and his signature for Norwich.  I believe the Norwich job is too big for him and it will be a failure and I''m afraid it does sound a bit like an old boys club with him and McNally.  His managerial experience is minimal.  Firstly, Livingston - no great shakes - then a season at Wycombe where he failed to make the playoffs and the following season they got promoted.  Then onto us...

His appointment was greeted with a mixed reception, and although you have said to other Colchester fans they all liked him until 48 hours that is certainly not the case.  I did, but many others didn''t.  I would say his best asset is that he is a very good judge of a player.  The outcasts that he shipped out were in my opinion not good enough for Col U and the players he brought in have been excellent.  The football we played last season was absolutely dire and wothout doubt the worst i have ever seen in all my years of following Col U.  That said, this season it improved, and I just get the feeling that he thought last year the squad was only able to play rubbish football.  He is very thoughtful and thinjs about all aspects of the game - he had our pitched narrowed (not sure why when he brought in two quick wingers - but he obviously had a reason), reduced the size of the away dressing room and made it darker. 

His negatives are that he certianly doesn''t win friends across all levels of the club and he has shown absolutely no loyalty bot with us, and with Wycombe previously.  He is in it for himself and no-one else, although I suppose that drives him to success.

As you can see there are more positives (in my mind) than negatives regarding Lambert, but what I struggle to understand is his appointment in the context of McNally''s criteria as I don''t see where he has been proven successful as a manager.  When he was replaced at Wycombe they went onto better things.  At Col U, he turned results around away from home, but a comment on here that during some home games we never even had a shot is unfortunately not an exaggeration but he out and out truth.  In fact his biggest achievement to date was the 7 (seven) -1 drubbing of you lot.  At Col U most were hoping to finish in the playoffs (not expecting but hoping) - things have certainly started well and that is why I was so angry to lose Lambert.  But you guys if you were honest with yourselves EXPECT promotion from this league.  I don''t think Lambert will deliver that because your squad just doesn''t look good enough and I can''t see McNally being able to keep Lambert in the job if that doesn''t happen.

One final note, why an earth has Lambert not signed a permanent contract but is instead on a rolling contract?  That bemuses me more than anything.

I can honestly say that after the shock of him leaving I think it will be looked on as a good thing.  The fans have united in their dislike for the last 48 hours and Robbie Cowling is certainly very annoyed and will splash the cash on his new manager and with a transfer book to try and prove Lambert wrong in jumping ship.  Much like Phil Parkinson, I think Lambert has moved to a big club too soon.

Que the abuse...
[/quote]

Part of your comments are a contradiction in my opinion. Lambert did what he had to do last season keep Colchester up  and then this season improve the team, which you state he has. Lambert will turn Norwich around it will not be pretty at time and some of the slackers currently at the club will be in for a massive shock.

I''m not convinced by this "not achieved anything" argument.

At Wycombe, he took them to a League Cup semi in the first season and a playoff semi in the second.  The fact that they went up the season after he left is at least in part a testimony to the team he left behind, and by the same token I think you''re going to have a good season too . 

Yes he''s ambitious but that''s exactly what we need right now.  "Norwich too big for him?" - we shall see.  Time to take a risk, because things are so bad that not to take a risk is an even bigger risk, if you see what I mean . . .

[quote user="ColUDave"]of course there is some bitterness, wouldn''t you?  But it is also my opinion that it is too big for him.

And, you won''t be back for some of our players - at least not for a year - because just like we did with Hull and Parkinson - an embargo will be agreed.  In terms of tapping up etc here, you are very much on the back foot when it comes to compensation - again just like Hull. 

Also, which players would you want?  Because the chance of Robbie releasing any of our new players (who Lambert signed on minimum 3 years contracts) is extremely remote because we don''t need the cash and his statement shows the level of distain he feels towards PL and McNally.
[/quote]

Can you make us sign a clause tho? 

[quote user="Tookie140"]

[quote user="ColUDave"]of course there is some bitterness, wouldn''t you?  But it is also my opinion that it is too big for him.

And, you won''t be back for some of our players - at least not for a year - because just like we did with Hull and Parkinson - an embargo will be agreed.  In terms of tapping up etc here, you are very much on the back foot when it comes to compensation - again just like Hull. 

Also, which players would you want?  Because the chance of Robbie releasing any of our new players (who Lambert signed on minimum 3 years contracts) is extremely remote because we don''t need the cash and his statement shows the level of distain he feels towards PL and McNally.
[/quote]

Can you make us sign a clause tho? 

[/quote]

Yes. You signed a clause and then went back on your signed clause

That is why you will pay up. [:P]

Great balanced sensible post from you ColUDave, good luck for the rest of the season.

PS: He was not your first choice.  Your first choice said thanks but no thanks.

Hopefully Lambo will do well for you but first choice he was not.

Spin?

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Spin?

[/quote]

Who was Cam ?

[quote user="walks on water"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

Spin?

[/quote]

Who was Cam ?

[/quote]

Someone who won''t drop down a Division nor do a rolling contract.

That''s it I''m afraid.