Sign in to follow this  
Bob da Canary

Huckerby for England

does anyone else think that Huckerby should be in the England team and partner Rooney or Defoe? I think becoz Sven Goran Erickson was at the game today Huckerby could possibley get a place in the England team in the future, along with Greeeeno! Does anyone agree??

Huckerby would have more chance getting in the england squad if we played him in his best position, left wing

Huckerby would have more chance getting in the england squad if we played him in his best position, left wing

I know he was a little conspicuous by his absence in the first half but then he didn''t get much service as we were defending pretty deep and feeling our way in, I think.  However, Sven cannot have failed to notice the impact he had in the second half and the way he had Naybet in knots more often than not.  As I''ve said before, England could do worse than Hucks but he is as his best when given a license to roam (and thrill!) and I couldn''t see Mr Conservative Swede letting him do that, that is if he even considered him for the team in the first place!    You never know though...stranger things have happened.  (Suppose we supporters could start up a chant of ''Huckerby for England'' at all of our games until Sven gets sick of hearing it!!!)

[quote]hes going to have to start sticking away some of those chances first![/quote]

Goddamit ....... he`s MAKING the chances ...... don`t you get it yet  ?

[quote]Sadly, no, I don''t think his defensive game is good enough.[/quote]

Blacko ........ Hucks DEFENSIVE game ??  ........  what are you talking about ! ?  

I think it would be nice to see him given a chance for England...cetainly chanting would help.

I thought he lacked chasing balls today and sometimes gives up easily when he could have kept a ball in...unless he is carrying a small injury.

His first half performance wouldn''t have got him into any national side in Europe. Much improved in the second half, but severely lacked support on the break....how many opportunities were there when the ball ran free out of the box?
If he wants a chance of getting into the England squad, the whole team needs to support him in his specific role, but we don''t want him becoming the player every move is based upon...   

Sheded, if Hux is to play for england it will probably be in the left wing position currently held by bridge. As such he would have to develop a defensive side to his gme, which as you rightly point out he simply doesnt have.

However Hux is a striker, and not a left winger, and as we saw today he simply did not convert the chances he made for himself - imagine the outcry if owen had missed those opportunities. His strength is making chances but we need him to be a bit more clinical in front of goal. Having said that he was the only city player who looked like scoring yesterday..

OTBC

could be a good off the bench option if we need some creativity, but would have to be on the left, there''s a big queue up front with defoe, rooney and owen.

[quote]Sheded, if Hux is to play for england it will probably be in the left wing position currently held by bridge. As such he would have to develop a defensive side to his gme, which as you rightly point o...[/quote]

I would just like to say zipper do you actually go to the matches because if you did you would see that hux is actually an attacking left winger and not a striker. When he plays up front with his back to goal he''s totally ineffective but when he drops deeper into his natural position (LEFT WING) that is when he is at his most dangerous running at players with the ball hidden between his feet.

It''s very rarely you see him on the right if ever and his game is about beating players and either shooting or laying the ball off for someone else, but as no one is as quick as hux there is rarely support for him so he has to shoot as he has no other option.Then he get lots of people saying that he needs to be more clinical in front of goal. He just needs more support, there would be less defenders for him to have to deal with.

Hopefully worthy will revert back to playing 3 up front as the end of last season. 3 up front tho, means hux in a floating role i.e. left wing/attack

I thought he looked injured. He didn''t have that extra bit of pace he usually has and seemed to be hobbling a little. On another day I think he would have certainly stuck his two chances away

I think we all should definately chant ''Huckerby for England'' at the Villa game, who knows, it might inspire him to score and break thorough to the England squad. Does everyone think we should do that chant at the Villa game????

His best chance is on the left, England''s so-called "problem position".

As a creator for Rooney/Owen/Defoe/Smith he would be a livewire, but the big problem is that in the international world he will need to defend. That''s why Bridge did so well in the eyes of many against Poland, primarily a left back who can get forward to support the midfield and strikers. Also Beckham who until recently has been pretty good at closing down and tackling on the right. Its also why Sven will probably consider Hargreaves ahead of Darren in that position.

Hux doesn''t do defending so unless Sven changes his approach and attitudes I think, sadly, that Darren will need to concentrate on the league.

Shardy I have been known to attend one or two games over the last 30 years and have Hux best and worst performances. I agree that Hux is at his most threatening when he receives the ball in a wide left position and runs at the defence. He can then cut in towards the middle onto his favoured right foot. However as we saw with theledley king chance on sunday his pace is effective across the whole front line.

For Hux to be a left winger he would have to learn to drop deep and due some defensive duties - Worthy demands that of his midfielders - how many time has McVeigh been dropped for dereliction of that duty? As Tumbleweed says that is not part of Hux game. Using Hux energy to track back or even to make a challenge (as rare as a Hux header!) would be a waste of his effort and lessen his threat going forward.

Like Thierry Henry, Hux is an striker who uses his outstanding pace to create havoc in opposing defences and happens to favour the wide left part of the pitch; he is a world apart from being ryan giggs or robert pires who are natural left midfielders. Whilst Hux scares defenders like Henry I only wish Hux could finish like Thierry!

More of the same on Sat please Darren - with a ball nestling in the bottom corner please!

OTBC

let''s look at it this way. you put hux on england''s left (the only POSSIBLE position for him to attain) and you dont get any defense. you put wayne bridge on england''s left and you dont get much attacking influence.

given who else england has tried in this position, i would put huckerby on as a sub in the 2nd half and watch what he can do. he does, however, have to improve his ability to know what''s going on around him when he''s off on one of these runs and spot players in better positions (which ALWAYS happens because 2-3 defenders inevitably try chasing hux).

it would be fun to see it happen. let''s think about what happens later this season if hux has got 10-12 goals by sometime after xmas but before easter. then shouldn''t we be hearing cries for his name on the england team? at least in the squad! i would put him on in place of owen hargreaves any day of the week.

Let''s get the chant going for Saturday guys...it doesn''t matter if it comes to nothing ultimately.  It''ll be good to see his reaction (if any) and at least will let him know that we continue to be grateful for his efforts.  "HUCKERBY FOR ENGLAND!"