Sign in to follow this  
Devils Advocate.

Is it me?

I agree actually mate. I do think with all the drama we''ve had already the season feels longer than 2 weeks old.

I think its because we are already thinking about relegation, nornally its nearly October before we realise that''s on the cards again..... looking on the positive side we normally give Dereham a good game in preseason so maybe we are nearly at our level now.... sorry its been a bad day! 

I would agree.I allowed myself to be optimistic. I wouldnt say that I was optimistic about being top 6, I was optimistic that all of the right choices seemed to have been made and that we could look forward to actually competing in this league.All I like is to be able to entertain the hope that we have a chance of promotion. If I am really honest that hope remains but it is diminishing. The writing is clearly on the wall now and if some major changes are not made at the club then we will become stuck in a rut.Yes I would like to see new major investors such as owners, but how realistic is that? I would also like to see a change in the mindset of some of the fans, again how realistic is that?I am not saying that these fans are the reason for our predicament but take it back eight to ten years when we had average gates of around 15/18k and Carrow Road was a possitive pot of energy - the fans backed our boys no matter what the score, I remember us playing Palace and loosing 3-1 but coming away from the stadium not dejected but illated that we had outsung the palace fans throughout 90mins even when they scored. The fans couldnt have given it any more.I also remember the play off final season which was where the gates started to turn around, we had a pretty poor sqd back then and yet as in seasons running up to that the boys were still backed.It seems that the vibe players used to enjoy may have evaporated from the crowd where the attitude used to be to cheer the boys on to the win to where we are now where the boys have to win to be cheered. Its rather sad as I doubt very much a visiting Celtic crowd would ever say that we gave as good as we got vocally against them again.Apparently football is a form of entertainment now and not a sport. Its a shame, I dont really like opera but it seems most people think sitting at a live game is just like watching it on TV. Just sit there all cozy and cheer when we score.

[quote user="chicken"]I would agree.

I allowed myself to be optimistic. I wouldnt say that I was optimistic about being top 6, I was optimistic that all of the right choices seemed to have been made and that we could look forward to actually competing in this league.

All I like is to be able to entertain the hope that we have a chance of promotion. If I am really honest that hope remains but it is diminishing. The writing is clearly on the wall now and if some major changes are not made at the club then we will become stuck in a rut.

Yes I would like to see new major investors such as owners, but how realistic is that? I would also like to see a change in the mindset of some of the fans, again how realistic is that?

I am not saying that these fans are the reason for our predicament but take it back eight to ten years when we had average gates of around 15/18k and Carrow Road was a possitive pot of energy - the fans backed our boys no matter what the score, I remember us playing Palace and loosing 3-1 but coming away from the stadium not dejected but illated that we had outsung the palace fans throughout 90mins even when they scored. The fans couldnt have given it any more.

I also remember the play off final season which was where the gates started to turn around, we had a pretty poor sqd back then and yet as in seasons running up to that the boys were still backed.

It seems that the vibe players used to enjoy may have evaporated from the crowd where the attitude used to be to cheer the boys on to the win to where we are now where the boys have to win to be cheered. Its rather sad as I doubt very much a visiting Celtic crowd would ever say that we gave as good as we got vocally against them again.

Apparently football is a form of entertainment now and not a sport. Its a shame, I dont really like opera but it seems most people think sitting at a live game is just like watching it on TV. Just sit there all cozy and cheer when we score.
[/quote]

The vibe players used to get has been replaced by an oversized wage packet paid irrespective of performance, effort or result. Allegiance is determined by the size of the wage packet that the agent can negotiate. A few years ago you could see players in the pub on a Saturday evening and they would talk to you. Now players think they are superior beings. 

When you talk of crowds of 16-18k these were the days when you could buy casual tickets and those that went wanted to attend nowadays (because of a clever marketing ploy) you can''t be certain of buying casual tickets so the majority buy season tickets probably with less revenue generated than casual tickets. We will cheer when we see effort expended and tactics employed that merit cheering.  

Funny, cos a lot of people are saying the season starts now!

So maybe i missed the last one where Gunn was in charge.

[quote user="ridgeman"]

[quote user="chicken"]I would agree.I allowed myself to be optimistic. I wouldnt say that I was optimistic about being top 6, I was optimistic that all of the right choices seemed to have been made and that we could look forward to actually competing in this league.All I like is to be able to entertain the hope that we have a chance of promotion. If I am really honest that hope remains but it is diminishing. The writing is clearly on the wall now and if some major changes are not made at the club then we will become stuck in a rut.Yes I would like to see new major investors such as owners, but how realistic is that? I would also like to see a change in the mindset of some of the fans, again how realistic is that?I am not saying that these fans are the reason for our predicament but take it back eight to ten years when we had average gates of around 15/18k and Carrow Road was a possitive pot of energy - the fans backed our boys no matter what the score, I remember us playing Palace and loosing 3-1 but coming away from the stadium not dejected but illated that we had outsung the palace fans throughout 90mins even when they scored. The fans couldnt have given it any more.I also remember the play off final season which was where the gates started to turn around, we had a pretty poor sqd back then and yet as in seasons running up to that the boys were still backed.It seems that the vibe players used to enjoy may have evaporated from the crowd where the attitude used to be to cheer the boys on to the win to where we are now where the boys have to win to be cheered. Its rather sad as I doubt very much a visiting Celtic crowd would ever say that we gave as good as we got vocally against them again.Apparently football is a form of entertainment now and not a sport. Its a shame, I dont really like opera but it seems most people think sitting at a live game is just like watching it on TV. Just sit there all cozy and cheer when we score.[/quote]

The vibe players used to get has been replaced by an oversized wage packet paid irrespective of performance, effort or result. Allegiance is determined by the size of the wage packet that the agent can negotiate. A few years ago you could see players in the pub on a Saturday evening and they would talk to you. Now players think they are superior beings. 

When you talk of crowds of 16-18k these were the days when you could buy casual tickets and those that went wanted to attend nowadays (because of a clever marketing ploy) you can''t be certain of buying casual tickets so the majority buy season tickets probably with less revenue generated than casual tickets. We will cheer when we see effort expended and tactics employed that merit cheering.  

[/quote]I wouldnt say that our players are now on oversized wage packets. And even if they are so are all footballers so is it an excuse to stop cheering?As for the casual nature, you are probably right. With more season tickets people feel like they have an obligation to turn up to watch as they have already paid.However as I said, its not one thing that is wrong with this club, its all over. Fans that behave like toddlers standing cross armed saying I wont support the players until we see something good and the board making poor decisions in an effort to get those arms unfolded. Some would say that we deserve each other.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="ridgeman"]

I allowed myself to be optimistic. I wouldnt say that I was optimistic about being top 6, I was optimistic that all of the right choices seemed to have been made and that we could look forward to actually competing in this league.

All I like is to be able to entertain the hope that we have a chance of promotion. If I am really honest that hope remains but it is diminishing. The writing is clearly on the wall now and if some major changes are not made at the club then we will become stuck in a rut.

Yes I would like to see new major investors such as owners, but how realistic is that? I would also like to see a change in the mindset of some of the fans, again how realistic is that?

I am not saying that these fans are the reason for our predicament but take it back eight to ten years when we had average gates of around 15/18k and Carrow Road was a possitive pot of energy - the fans backed our boys no matter what the score, I remember us playing Palace and loosing 3-1 but coming away from the stadium not dejected but illated that we had outsung the palace fans throughout 90mins even when they scored. The fans couldnt have given it any more.

I also remember the play off final season which was where the gates started to turn around, we had a pretty poor sqd back then and yet as in seasons running up to that the boys were still backed.

It seems that the vibe players used to enjoy may have evaporated from the crowd where the attitude used to be to cheer the boys on to the win to where we are now where the boys have to win to be cheered. Its rather sad as I doubt very much a visiting Celtic crowd would ever say that we gave as good as we got vocally against them again.

Apparently football is a form of entertainment now and not a sport. Its a shame, I dont really like opera but it seems most people think sitting at a live game is just like watching it on TV. Just sit there all cozy and cheer when we score.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldnt say that our players are now on oversized wage packets. And even if they are so are all footballers so is it an excuse to stop cheering?

As for the casual nature, you are probably right. With more season tickets people feel like they have an obligation to turn up to watch as they have already paid.

However as I said, its not one thing that is wrong with this club, its all over. Fans that behave like toddlers standing cross armed saying I wont support the players until we see something good and the board making poor decisions in an effort to get those arms unfolded. Some would say that we deserve each other.
[/quote]

And then we hear Lambert say the first team squad needs to be slimmed down, so how many will go before theend of the month  

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="ridgeman"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldnt say that our players are now on oversized wage packets. And even if they are so are all footballers so is it an excuse to stop cheering?

As for the casual nature, you are probably right. With more season tickets people feel like they have an obligation to turn up to watch as they have already paid.

However as I said, its not one thing that is wrong with this club, its all over. Fans that behave like toddlers standing cross armed saying I wont support the players until we see something good and the board making poor decisions in an effort to get those arms unfolded. Some would say that we deserve each other.
[/quote]

And then we hear Lambert say the first team squad needs to be slimmed down, so how many will go before theend of the month  

[/quote]A lot left in summer and then a lot more arrived and now more to leave, all in the space of a few months. Never a dull moment.

Wonder if there will be a new club photograph at end of transfer window.

A lot have left ( or been returned) at beginning of summer and more have arrived and now some are to leave because we have too many. Never a dull moment.

Wonder if there will be a new club photograph at end of transfer window.